A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:17:42 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wind farm or wind-gen manufacturer near tulsa?  (Read 8688 times)
John Redcorn
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »

I've been seeing what look like blades for wind generators every once in a while going north on 169 for about a year now, anyone have any idea where they're coming from/going to?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:19:07 pm »

There are two manufacturers of the bases for the platforms in Tulsa.  DMI and, someone else (come on brain!).  There is also a planned wind farm on Osage County by the Kansas border by Cherokee Enterprises... but I do not believe that is in full motion yet.  The only other explanation I can think of is they are going to the port to be shipped out to the gulf or somewhere in Kansas.

I've seen them to, very impressive pieces of equipment!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:38:48 pm »

My wife and I have driven I-10 from Phoenix to the LA area numerous times and just west of Palm Springs is a huge windmill farm. I have always noticed how big they are, but really got an idea of the scale of these things from an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe worked on maintaing one, and the other was on a recent trip where we passed a flat bed semi with one of the blades on it and it had to be almost 60 feet long and 9 feet across at the tip.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:36:50 pm »

My brother is working on a wind farm installation down south of Corpus Christi so they might be going there.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
AMP
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:25:47 pm »

Most the Blades are manufactured in Texas in this area.  Towers they rotate on are made by Trinity Structural Towers.  They have a plant here in Tulsa.
Rex
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »

Sorry for this simple question...but provided you have the right land, how do you get in the wind farm business?  I heard the big towers are 100k plus.  Also, do they make smaller units that individuals can use?  Something akin to people who use solar power to lower their energy bills?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:01:19 am »

Here's some options:
http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:22:44 am »

The big ones, power company sized, are not in the $100,000 range.  They are well over $1,000,000.  The foundation (basically a large metal cylinder sunk into the ground and filled with concrete and rebar) and the crane to install them is probably in the $100K range.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:00:21 am »

keep in mind the wind potential models are for 164ft up.  we have some buildings downtown taller than that.  It amazes me they don't pack their roofs with turbines and reduce some of their own power consumption.
Rex
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:21:11 pm »

I know there are a lot in Western Oklahoma and there are lots along the highway between LA and Palm Springs/Palm Desert.

I agree with Inteller, it's strange that some buildings don't try to capitalize on their height. If not here, because of the tornados etc., then in LA and areas where the weather is relatively stable.

Wrinkle
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

keep in mind the wind potential models are for 164ft up.  we have some buildings downtown taller than that.  It amazes me they don't pack their roofs with turbines and reduce some of their own power consumption.

Wind turbines have enormous physical reactions which cannot be offset by existing building structures. Even designing new buildings with structures to accommodate has proven cost-prohibitive, and tends to compromise the intent of the building (i.e., maximize interior spaces) in most cases. Micro Turbines are being designed for this purpose, but are of limited availability at this point.

We tend to think of buildings as big, strong things when they're actually only strong enough to do what they're doing, plus a safety factor.

I recall as I drove by the new bank building at the SE corner of 15th and Utica as it was being constructed, I wondered if the structure were sufficient to hold itself up. Never felt quite so before looking at a bare building structure.
I'm sure it was engineered, but didn't look as though there was an ounce more steel there than needed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 06:55:38 am »

Wrinkle is right. Vibration would destroy a building.

I was driving back from Dallas on Wednesday and saw three blades heading south in Oklahoma.

Them blades sure is big.

Power is nothing till you use it.
inteller
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 09:40:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Wrinkle is right. Vibration would destroy a building.

I was driving back from Dallas on Wednesday and saw three blades heading south in Oklahoma.

Them blades sure is big.

well I'm not talking about the same size as what they construct for a wind farm.  a few small ones are not going to shake the BOk tower apart.
Wrinkle
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »

The nacelle of a 1.5MW turbine weighs around 70 tons, the three blades together weigh more than that, about 75 tons (25 tons each). Then, there's the the pole.

If you understand moments at all, put 150 tons or so on the end of a 100 meter stick then try to hold it near the other end, with no wind.

Smaller turbines, like used for homesites,  would probably work. But, they put out so little energy it's not really worth it. These things are only putting out their rating at windspeeds of over 30 mph. Even the best wind sites do not average winds like that.

A utility-grade wind farm would consider a 7-8 m/s (15.65-18.0 mph) windspeed average as good (Class 4 or better).

Tulsa doesn't come close to that. We're in a Class 2 wind zone, average of only 7-9 mph.

The top of a building would boost that to some degree due to up drafts on the sides of the building.

But, the increased average windspeed required of the smaller turbines would offset that.
Besides, you're really only distributing the load if you build up to the same capacity as one larger turbine. The structure still wouldn't handle it. So, must settle for small, relatively meaningless, output.

Take a look at this small wind turbine's power curve: Bergey 10kW Turbine  Power Curve Spec Sheet (PDF)

Then look at GE's 1.5MW turbine's power curve:
GE 1.5MW Turbine

That should make it abundently clear.

The GE turbine reaches 80% of its' rated output at 10 m/s, peak at 12 m/s.

The Bergey doesn't get to 80% until around 15 m/s and peaks at 17 m/s.

The GE will be producing 80% of its output while the Bergey is only outputting 30% of theirs.

And, in Tulsa type winds, the Bergey will never reach peak, or even 80% most times, short of a tornado.

The small turbines simply aren't very efficient, and cost almost 4x that of the larger ones in terms of $/kW.

rwarn17588
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 02:07:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Tulsa doesn't come close to that. We're in a Class 2 wind zone, average of only 7-9 mph.

According to the National Weather Service, Tulsa's average wind speed is 10.2 mph.

Big difference.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tsa/climate/windavg.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org