A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:08:55 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need good tile guy, or gal.  (Read 14326 times)
Hometown
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:38 am »

Don't feel bad about the crummy work, or at least don't feel singled out.  I would guess most people have more bad experiences with service people than good.

I mentioned a really good tile guy that cleaned up some bad work from a really lousy tile couple.

Let me tell you about the couple.  

I got them out of the TulsaWorld and they were dating not married.  Anyway, first day on the job, he showed up but she didn't because they were breaking up.  

I was about to have a nervous breakdown anyway because we had had painters and stainless steel people in our house for two months straight.  So I figured I better save this relationship so we could get our work done.

I got on the phone and sweet talked the woman and convinced her to make up and get back to work.  But the peace didn't last long.  

Some days she was there and those were happy days.  It put the man in a good mood.  Other days she wasn't there and the man became despondent and unable to work except for taking calls all day long as he sat in the shade at our patio table drinking our sodas.

Finally the break up became final and that same day I lost it and yelled at the man.  Boy was that a mistake.  With a smile on his face the man went in and rearranged the fragile hand painted tile on our backsplash cracking each one.

In a moment of complete desperation I offered him a $100 bonus if he finished the next day.  Low and behold he kicked into gear and applied the grout and was out of our house in time to collect the bonus.

We used the good tile guy to replace the cracked hand painted tile with this beautiful iridescent stone mosaic.  Worked out better anyway but I gained many wrinkles and lots of gray hair in the process.

Yelling at people worked in New York but not here.  Here they say, “Yes sir,” and smile and then when you aren't paying attention they get even.

Tulsa's handymen from Hell roaming the freeways losing their sloppy loads.  When you find a good one, make sure to keep the number and count your blessings.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:35 pm »

I've been calling Doug and sending Texts message up to today, and still no answer.  I guess he's either still out of town or decided he's not coming back to do the bits and pieces he did not finish.

EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 07:39:13 pm »

"You boys like Mexico??? Yeeeeeeeehooooooo!!"

Oh well. I have fixed all of the slop except a couple spots so I am happy with *MY* work. No worries HoneySuckle. I know how hard it is to find somebody worth anything. If he had any intention of making things right they would've been right a long time ago. Guess next time I'll find some quality Mexican work.

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 10:47:56 pm »

Eric, I am thinking of using a Mexican guy that two of my friends used.  I was trying to go American here, but apparently "many" American trades people don't give a crap about their work!  We ought to start paying half down once they're done and the balance after a day of inspection!

The Mexican guy in question did a countertop in granite tiles and I can't believe how well he did it.  Only problem with him is that he works in the day (can't call the company name here) and does this work on the side (nights and weekends).  I'm seriously considering having him do the rest of work I have here.

Que viva los mexicanos!!![Cheesy]

Shaneous
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 10:05:50 am »

We used Tile by Tony and couldn't be happier. Do a google search for Tile by Tony Tulsa and his number will come up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org