A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:01:29 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is North Tulsa so run down?  (Read 16300 times)
Sangria
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:52 am »

Hutcherson YMCA was just built.

Go in there and look around. Note the broken stuff and the holes in the walls and all the repairs done.

It's only been open a few months and it looks like it's been there for years on the inside.

They don't take care of anything. You can't do something good for the community and have them appreciate it.Until they find a sense of pride and take their neighborhoods back from the druggies, criminals and thugs - nothing will change.

What is happening now has nothing to do with 1921 - it has everything to do with too many people living on welfare instead of having the pride that comes with being able to take care of yourself.

They expect everyone else to solve their problems with no effort on their part. It just don't work that way.
Hometown
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 01:43:43 pm »

Sangria, it really depends on the individual.

But I do believe there is generally less respect for property across all ethnicities.  It takes a village but we don't have one anymore, anywhere.

Here's an aside, and a look back, that sort of relates.  Did you know that Africans were the most prized slaves because they were the best workers?

I doubt if the same could be said about my people way, way back when they were slaves to Rome.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sangria

Hutcherson YMCA was just built.

Go in there and look around. Note the broken stuff and the holes in the walls and all the repairs done.

It's only been open a few months and it looks like it's been there for years on the inside.

They don't take care of anything. You can't do something good for the community and have them appreciate it.Until they find a sense of pride and take their neighborhoods back from the druggies, criminals and thugs - nothing will change.

What is happening now has nothing to do with 1921 - it has everything to do with too many people living on welfare instead of having the pride that comes with being able to take care of yourself.

They expect everyone else to solve their problems with no effort on their part. It just don't work that way.

You sure use the word "they" a lot.  I wonder if you know any of "them?"
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 02:06:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

I hope they don't tear down the old hotel which is now a U-Haul storage center...

The building has characteristics of Art Deco.  I'd like to see it preserved.

I agree!  This is a beautiful old building...unexpected, gorgous architectural detail on a building with a truck rotating overhead!
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Hey Michael, Thanks for the detail and I stand corrected re Archer and Greenwood.  I feel like the stadium is about to finish off what Urban Renewal didn't.  Before "north of 244" the axim was "north of Archer."  Let me ask you are there still neighborhoods of working class Whites in far North Tulsa?  Is there anything else to tell about Suburban Acres?

Bixby!  Well, I can remember riding in the back of my sister's Corvair going through the country on the way to Sparkey's graveyard in Jenks.  Way out in the sticks.  It was better than a scary movie.

I lived 3 blocks from Suburban Acres.  From the east end going west. There was an Oklahoma Tire and Supply Store (Otasco), a CR Anthony's a laundry mat, Phelp's IGA Grocery Store, Dr. Fred LeMaster's doctor's office. Ben Franklin 5&Dime store and I want to say Crown Drug Store that had a soda bar like at Steve's Sundry where you could get a Cherry Coke.

Trust but verify
Hometown
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 12:17:51 pm »

Sorry to drag this back from the past but Michael Bates' remarks ealier in this thread were truly enlightening.  And then Unreliablesource piped up about Suburban Acres.  I wish I knew more about Suburban Acres.

Hey, Unreliablesource,

I have questions for you.  Now from one unreliablesource to another I would like to ask you what it was like growing up in Suburban Acres?  

How old are you?  What ethnicity are you?  

What highschool did you guys go to?  Did kids from your neighborhood hang out in Brookside or later Memorial?

Were you greasers or soces?  (Sorry, can't spell Soces?!?)

Where did everyone go when they moved?  Or did they?

Steve, can tell us exactly where they came from but didn't those wheatstraw high water britches all the guys wore, come from Anthony's.

What kind of houses were in Suburban Acres?  Flat top houses?  Ranch houses?

We are from the same town but strangers.

Tell me about the old hood, it is truly fascinating to me.

I grew up in the Hale district in those flat top houses off of Yale near 21st.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:19:20 pm by Hometown » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »

Suburban Acres Library is at 2010 E 48th St North. Here is a link from Lost Tulsa that is about the Northland Shopping Center, and has comments about the area after the ino on the shopping center. I can remember as a kid my mom and I would meet up with my aunt, her sister, at Northland for lunch and then go up to Skiatook to visit at her house. My aunt worked at the Safeway that was at Edison and Denver. Suburban Acres is zip codes 74106, 74110, and 74126 going south to north.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:31:24 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org