A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:39:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development on 11th St. (?)  (Read 5770 times)
MDepr2007
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 01:47:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

Maybe an apartment building for the homeless? No one would ever be upset about that.

Careful it might need a zoning change if it's for homeless only
breitee
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:00:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

Walls would be nice and would add stability to the structure. I can just see some drunk driving into one of the supporting pillars and the whole thing come crashing down. Don't they think about these things?

Well, there *are* these things at the side of the street called curbs. Maybe they have them where you live.

[}:)]

Right, like a curb will stop a drunk driver from hitting the supports. Maybe if they are driving 5 MPH.
inteller
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:14:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

Walls would be nice and would add stability to the structure. I can just see some drunk driving into one of the supporting pillars and the whole thing come crashing down. Don't they think about these things?

well, it will make a nice thing to run under during a hail storm.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »

I am pretty apathetic about it, but many of my friends think it is the coolest thing on route 66.

To me, it is a oversized sign (that we would never allow at that location if it was a new sign). It advertises for an out-of-state owned company with Tulsa operations two and a half miles away. By volume, it is about seventy five percent frame and one quarter actual sign. It blocks views of the Tulsa downtown skyline from higher ground.

To others, it is a precious connection to their past, when they rode in cars with their parents past the neon lights along route 66. It's salvage is a symbol that we can enjoy brights lights and relive the glow of yesterday.  

I guess we are both right.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 03:14:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Glad they saved the sign.  Wish they'd put it on some big old warehouse on Rt 66.  The scale of this thing on a tiny little "stand" looks weird to me.  And I hate it being so totally out of context.  Even if it were on top of a little tourist info/shop, that would be better than this strange little structure.  Can we donate money to build walls?

The structure is scaled to be the same as the one-story commercial building the sign orginally sat on. Walls would be nice, but would require more money to build, and the need for heat, A/C and likely plumbing for bathrooms to get an occupancy permit. It would also create a dark hidey-hole unless you installed windows.

The open-air structure will do the trick and there will be Route 66 kiosks/information under it.
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 09:29:29 am »

kiosks under it............? Pluuuueeeeze...Ok...big sign, urban setting= pigeons=covered in pigeon crap.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 11:21:20 am »

Kiosks with umbrellas then.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org