A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:41:07 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Homeless Shelter @ Admiral and Yale  (Read 8848 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »

I wouldnt mind it being near my house either. There is actually a vacant lot just a bit east of Petsmart right before the highway. There is a lot of stuff in this area, great opportunity for peple to get back on their feet since so much is within walking/biking distance. I am guessing that the city owns that property too. Not sure if it is quite large enough though. They could probably buy that little Cingular place next to it and it would be large enough.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 08:43:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I wouldnt mind it being near my house either. There is actually a vacant lot just a bit east of Petsmart right before the highway. There is a lot of stuff in this area, great opportunity for peple to get back on their feet since so much is within walking/biking distance. I am guessing that the city owns that property too. Not sure if it is quite large enough though. They could probably buy that little Cingular place next to it and it would be large enough.

That location may fail because of the "clustering" that it would create.(There is a treatment facility at 6333 E Skelly Drive)

Everyone is aware, in this matter, that all of the centers at Archer and Denver.... including the jail, required a variance... And created a "cluster"...

So much for the enforcement of the "Master Plan".
inteller
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 08:49:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

lets get real...the type of people housed in these places are not going to "get back on their feet"  maybe cut some feet off, or pis on some feet....but not get back up on theirs.  These are chronic cases.
rwarn17588
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 09:15:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

lets get real...the type of people housed in these places are not going to "get back on their feet"  maybe cut some feet off, or pis on some feet....but not get back up on theirs.  These are chronic cases.

Are you speaking from experience?

That might explain a lot of your posts.

[}:)]
MDepr2007
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 09:32:43 pm »

Very interesting story on Fox tonight. Here is a snippet

quote:
Here's where it gets complicated.  The Tulsa Housing Authority is calling this project an “apartment building.”  However, Duane Casperson, a zoning department official with INCOG, told me off-camera, that if a building is classified as a “homeless center,” neighboring residents would need to be notified.  So who determines if it’s a "homeless center" or an "apartment building?”  That’s the job of the Zoning Board, which makes the decision based on blueprints and a description of how it is going to be used, all coming from the applicant.  According to Casperson, the distinction between an apartment and a homeless center is simply the level of service residents receive.

Link
Rico
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 09:58:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

Very interesting story on Fox tonight. Here is a snippet

quote:
Here's where it gets complicated.  The Tulsa Housing Authority is calling this project an “apartment building.”  However, Duane Casperson, a zoning department official with INCOG, told me off-camera, that if a building is classified as a “homeless center,” neighboring residents would need to be notified.  So who determines if it’s a "homeless center" or an "apartment building?”  That’s the job of the Zoning Board, which makes the decision based on blueprints and a description of how it is going to be used, all coming from the applicant.  According to Casperson, the distinction between an apartment and a homeless center is simply the level of service residents receive.

Link

As always Rupert's team Fax gets part of the story correct.

The INCOG employee's name is Duane Cuthbertson.
not Casperson... (I think he was a ghost")

If the property at 10 N Yale is going to be an apartment building or treatment facility... They can do so by "Right". In other words... The Rights attached to the particular piece of property.

If... however it were going to be a flop house/homeless day center it would need a variance and require public notice.

The "Good News". if it is built and not used according to the description in the "Code"... then you can have the City enforce the code upon them.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 11:43:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

If the property at 10 N Yale is going to be an apartment building or treatment facility... They can do so by "Right".

It's listed as 10 S. Yale, FYI. If we're gonna get it right, let's get it right or is that just another one of those pesky scrivener's errors.[Wink]

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
MichaelBates
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 12:48:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:

If the property at 10 N Yale is going to be an apartment building or treatment facility... They can do so by "Right".

It's listed as 10 S. Yale, FYI. If we're gonna get it right, let's get it right or is that just another one of those pesky scrivener's errors.[Wink]

It is listed as 10 S. Yale, and although it's south of Admiral Place, it's north of Admiral Blvd., which is the dividing line between north and south addresses, and which serves as a service road to I-244 west of Yale. It should be a N. Yale address.
Rico
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 04:30:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:

quote:

It is listed as 10 S. Yale, and although it's south of Admiral Place, it's north of Admiral Blvd., which is the dividing line between north and south addresses, and which serves as a service road to I-244 west of Yale. It should be a N. Yale address.

Well then.... That places the proposed development in South Tulsa[Wink]

Whole separate set of rules and conditions.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:

quote:

Well then.... That places the proposed development in South Tulsa[Wink]

Whole separate set of rules and conditions.

It makes me question the validity of the vote if the Council was voting on the wrong address.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Gold
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 01:39:55 pm »

I don't get the big deal regarding this issue from the tinfoil hat crowd on this board.  Many of them are mentally ill and might stand to benefit under this plan.  Heck, FB might get some career skills out of it.

Why are we afraid of the mentally ill given the quality of some comments on here?[?]
USRufnex
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 01:48:13 pm »

I don't see tinfoil hats... watching tgov right now... what I see are people who are justifiably worried about this who didn't find out any info until it's too late... and the people living in that area already feel like the city shortchanges them... on just about everything.

tshane250
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 01:55:54 pm »

Properly medicated, many if not most mentally ill can function perfectly normal in society.  These are not dangerous people.
Gold
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 02:06:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

I don't see tinfoil hats... watching tgov right now... what I see are people who are justifiably worried about this who didn't find out any info until it's too late... and the people living in that area already feel like the city shortchanges them... on just about everything.

Bates and FB each sleep with a teddy bear wearing a tinfoil hat, I hear.  (Actually I didn't, but I figure that's just as supported as pretty much everything FB says on here.)

It's one thing to be the neighborhood affected by this; like I said in the other thread on this issue, the impact is debateable.  It's the masive conspiracy, oligarchy talk with the bizarre reference to Jane Wiseman that generally distinguishes the tinfoil hat.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 02:09:06 pm by Gold » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org