A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:04 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 120 new Brady District Lofts + retail  (Read 71597 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:37 pm »

I noticed the Shah's reappointment got pulled. I wonder if some Sobering letters to the Councilors might have had something to do with that?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Rico
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »

Quote>  still NOT A CONTRACT...
**** happens...  <end quote brunoflipper

Stay Tuned

TulsaFuture
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong(and I'm sure you will!), whats the difference between a buyer of a home negotiating with a seller and another bid comes in that is better,  the seller takes the better bid.  What's the difference between that and the Loft's negotiation?  Why can he not move somewhere else in the many areas undeveloped downtown.  I can assure you that no one will want to live across the street from the stadium with fireworks, loud speakers, etc. all the time.  It would be better maybe a few blocks away.
TulsaFuture
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:20 pm »

Thanks CarltonPlace for your answer.  I don't have any insider info and I only posted that day because I had been reading this forum for about a month now and just wanted to throw in an opposite point of view for thought.  I really don't know any of the donors or the mayor but would really like to see Tulsa take off and there is no way without people donating.  The people of Tulsa County will not ever have anything here because they will not pay for it like many cities (including OKC)so we need extra help.  I hope Will doesn't screw it up for everyone and have the donors back out.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2008, 06:34:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaFuture

Thanks CarltonPlace for your answer.  I don't have any insider info and I only posted that day because I had been reading this forum for about a month now and just wanted to throw in an opposite point of view for thought.  I really don't know any of the donors or the mayor but would really like to see Tulsa take off and there is no way without people donating.  The people of Tulsa County will not ever have anything here because they will not pay for it like many cities (including OKC)so we need extra help.  I hope Will doesn't screw it up for everyone and have the donors back out.

"Will screw it up".You can't be serious can you...?..Who are you in bed with downtown...?

waterboy
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2008, 07:44:07 am »

quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong(and I'm sure you will!), whats the difference between a buyer of a home negotiating with a seller and another bid comes in that is better,  the seller takes the better bid.  What's the difference between that and the Loft's negotiation?  

In theory not much different. But in reality its public vs private interests. Lots of lawyers or realtors who post here can explain the general rules of offer and acceptance but they may not apply in this instance since its a private interest negotiating with a public authority. Since no one is answering your question I will give benefit of my real estate experience and undergraduate law courses. Take it at your own risk!

Your point is well taken by a few of us. It was a negotiation, not a contract, because all the terms had not been agreed to by both parties. There may have been an agreement in principle that they both wanted to execute a contract, but there was no option and no agreement to specific terms. Basically, the bride wanted to know if the suitor was worthy. This would be as though a buyer and seller of a parcel of land agreed that they both were interested in principle to transfer the land for market rate so the buyer could build a house. The buyer spends money to craft an agreement (an offer), assure the seller he is creditworthy and capable of the purchase, and to provide plans for what kind of building he's planning. Suddenly, the seller loses interest. The buyer knows something is up but can't get the seller to divulge. It becomes apparent that the property has a new suitor, an oil company that wants to locate its headquarters there and has expressed interest in the land. Its a better suitor and he commences negotiations with them. It seems to me that the buyer may be entitled to have his expenses re-imbursed since he acted in good faith to follow the sellers demands, but there never was a contract for the sale of the property.

However, in this case the public entity has a larger goal, which was to stimulate development in the area and its actions probably worked against that goal. I believe legally they were ok, politically they screwed up.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2008, 11:08:44 am »

quote:

The ballpark is not a done deal, the Novus project could have been had the TDA not changed their mind and pulled the offer to Novus in favor of reserving that property for the ball park donors. This action by the TDA whose members are comprised of volunteers that work for companies on the donor list rubs people the wrong way for the following reasons:
1. Frustrated Development We are begging for downtown development but there is a perception that building in downtown (and dealing with the TDA) is too difficult. That perception now is now reality in many people's minds.
2. Ethical Concerns Choosing one's employer over this developer whether real or imagined feels wrong.
3. Transparency Why can't the ballpark and the development work together? Why won't anyone give a valid reason why they can't. Feels like back room politics
5. TreatmentWhy did they leave Novus hanging so long and let them continue to spend money and jump through hoops if this final action was what they've intended since the ballpark announcement?
4.  History This isn't the first time that the TDA has acted this way toward a potential buyer. Its no wonder they can't sell and develop a downtown property. What are they holding onto them for? Why did they start empire building? What happened to Jones Lang Lassalle?

Please read the concerns of the City Council in the Tulsa World Articletoday

Edited to add: I am in favor of the ballpark
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:09:31 am by carltonplace » Logged
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2008, 03:10:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

This action by the TDA whose members are comprised of volunteers that work for companies on the donor list rubs people the wrong way for the following reasons:

1. Frustrated Development We are begging for downtown development but there is a perception that building in downtown (and dealing with the TDA) is too difficult. That perception now is now reality in many people's minds.
2. Ethical Concerns Choosing one's employer over this developer whether real or imagined feels wrong.
3. Transparency Why can't the ballpark and the development work together? Why won't anyone give a valid reason why they can't. Feels like back room politics
5. TreatmentWhy did they leave Novus hanging so long and let them continue to spend money and jump through hoops if this final action was what they've intended since the ballpark announcement?
4.  History This isn't the first time that the TDA has acted this way toward a potential buyer. Its no wonder they can't sell and develop a downtown property. What are they holding onto them for? Why did they start empire building? What happened to Jones Lang Lassalle?

Same goes for Admiral & Yale and Bumgarner's project at 14th and Utica.

I think some old school Tulsa punk rock best describes the general mood of the great unwashed masses currently.

N.O.T.A- Frustration
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:28:23 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:38 am »

Glad I wash. [Cheesy]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2008, 07:54:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Glad I wash. [Cheesy]

When did that all begin... Thought you learned things in France..?[8D]

Back to topic... Tomorrow is yet another deadline for the Mayor's office and Lamson..

What is the line on the Drillers staying or moving south..Huh
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2008, 08:23:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Glad I wash. [Cheesy]

When did that all begin... Thought you learned things in France..?[8D]

Back to topic... Tomorrow is yet another deadline for the Mayor's office and Lamson..

What is the line on the Drillers staying or moving south..Huh

Branleur!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgnac9F3HoE&feature=related

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hometown
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2008, 10:43:55 am »

quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong(and I'm sure you will!), whats the difference between a buyer of a home negotiating with a seller and another bid comes in that is better,  the seller takes the better bid.  What's the difference between that and the Loft's negotiation?  Why can he not move somewhere else in the many areas undeveloped downtown.  I can assure you that no one will want to live across the street from the stadium with fireworks, loud speakers, etc. all the time.  It would be better maybe a few blocks away.

Because Novus had performed the equivalent of putting up earnest money.

And there are very popular residential developments across the street from the San Francisco ball park.

Now, I'm not a land use expert or involved in development in Tulsa but the problem with the Tulsa Way is this:  

Rich folks get together and decide what they want for Tulsa then they tell the rest of us what we need and how much it is going to cost us.  

And Tulsa is a tiny little small city and there are conflicts right and left.  I have done work for four of the people on the donors list this past year and I don't even make an effort to be involved in our civic life.  Does it shape your opinion?  Sure it does.

Tulsa needs public involvement from beginning to end to achieve the transparency that will put these issues to rest.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:46:21 am by Hometown » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

This action by the TDA whose members are comprised of volunteers that work for companies on the donor list rubs people the wrong way for the following reasons:

Same goes for Admiral & Yale and Bumgarner's project at 14th and Utica.

I think some old school Tulsa punk rock best describes the general mood of the great unwashed masses currently.

N.O.T.A- Frustration

Heh, Klein is a good friend.

One of the best punk songs ever.  Whiskey Rampage is another of my Beer Monger/N.O.T.A.  favorites.

Good choice, considering we are talking about TDA.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org