A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:04:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1Mil for Turkey Mountain trailhead improvements  (Read 7130 times)
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:39 pm »

Kaiser Foundation donates a million to improve turkey mountain trailhead.  A pavilion, small amphitheater, more parking (people are parking in the grass as it is), artificial bouldering rocks (cool! FYI...not for children, I hope.  I hope they are real, for technical bouldering) and improved signage for the trails...Sweet!

My understanding is that this is low impact, green  technology for most of this stuff...reclaimed wood for the pavilion; permeable asphalt for the parking, etc.  The idea is to keep it feeling like a wilderness area, definitely not to ruin what is already good about the park.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8292167
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:47:09 pm by Kenosha » Logged

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:42:04 pm »

Thanks to Kaiser (again)!
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:52:23 pm »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:54:11 pm by Kenosha » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:12:19 am »

I <3 Kaiser
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:19:42 am »

The Kaiser Family is picking up on the long legacy of wealthy Tulsans giving back to their community.  I'm very proud to be a beneficiary and grateful for their work.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cks511
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

The Kaiser Family is picking up on the long legacy of wealthy Tulsans giving back to their community.  I'm very proud to be a beneficiary and grateful for their work.

+1
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:45:45 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080509_1_A13_hThep07533

quote:
Turkey Mountain project includes climbing rocks

Courtesy LandPlan Consultants
A two-phase project to turn Turkey Mountain into a destination point will include the installation of several manmade boulders that can be used for “bouldering,” a popular style of rock climbing undertaken without a rope but conducted in short climbs requiring problem-solving to reach the top.

By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
5/9/2008

The project is estimated to cost between $2.5 million and $3 million.

One of the best places for the public to view Tulsa from atop Turkey Mountain is being redeveloped into a destination point with features such as boulders for climbing and a shelter for gatherings.

The two-phase project, at an existing trailhead east of Elwood Avenue near 68th Street, is estimated to cost between $2.5 million and $3 million.

"What is so amazing with the Turkey Mountain project is that these are great public improvements being made at no expense to the taxpayers," said Matt Meyer, executive director of the River Parks Authority.

The project, which is being funded by the George Kaiser Family Foundation, was unveiled Thursday to the River Parks Authority.

One unique feature included in the first phase will be the creation of two to three manmade boulders that will be about 12 feet tall.

The enormous rock structures are used for "bouldering," a popular style of rock climbing undertaken without a rope but conducted in short climbs requiring problem-solving to reach the top.

Design consultant Keith Franklin, who
owns LandPlan Consultants, said, "It ought to be a real nice amenity and, we think, heavily used."

Malcolm McCollam, a board member of Park Friends, a nonprofit group that accepts donations for the River Parks and the city and county parks, said, "Part of the concept is that this type of stuff is what starts setting (a community) apart and really promotes it as more progressive, which is popular with the younger set."

McCollam and Franklin said the boulders likely will be used by climbers in training and the general public.

Other aspects of the first phase include adding restrooms, increasing the size of the parking lot to hold 80 vehicles, and providing horse trailer parking for equestrian activity on the wilderness trails.

Access to the wilderness trails that are used for horseback riding and mountain biking also will be improved.

The first phase, which will cost $1.5 million, is anticipated to be finished by the end of this year, said Reed Woods, who represents Kaiser.

Woods, CEO of StoneBridge Group, said his construction consulting firm was hired by Kaiser to help manage and design the Turkey Mountain project and a larger trail improvement project between 11th and 71st streets on both sides of the river.

Phase two at Turkey Mountain, which is estimated to cost $1 million to $1.5 million, will include a shelter and seating area that overlooks "one of the best views" of the river and south Tulsa, Franklin said.

The view of downtown Tulsa is obstructed by Turkey Mountain, but the river below and south Tulsa, including Oral Roberts University, can be seen easily from the site, he said.

The second phase includes a more handicap-accessible trail to the West Bank Trail, which stretches from 71st Street north to Interstate 44, signs, a gate that would close the area after hours, a kiosk providing maps, and color codes along the trail to help guide users.

Woods said that after construction began on the West Bank Trail -- which initially was paid for with federal and local funding -- "Mr. Kaiser recognized a real need on Turkey Mountain for other amenities, specifically more parking."

Glen Sams, a city of Tulsa senior engineer, said the West Bank Trail should be open to the public officially within a few months.

Woods said that although the Turkey Mountain project complements other trail improvements funded mostly by Kaiser, it is a separate project that is expected to be finished by December 2009.

P.J. Lassek 581-8382
pj.lassek@tulsaworld.com

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:05:45 am »

I was at Turkey this past weekend and the trailhead improvements look really good so far even if they aren't finished yet.  The parking lot is brand new and they are working on the pavilion with sandstone pavers leading up to the trails.  It appears the bike path that was built to come up from the river to the trailhead is also being extended further west past the parking lot and then north along the powerline easement up the hill parallel to Elwood.  Does anyone know if they are planning to continue extending the paved bike path north in that area and where would it then connect?  One of Tulsa's best views is at the top of the hill where Elwood curves to W. 61st.  And I didn't notice construction of the climbing rocks, where will this be located? 

They are also nearing completion of the bike path along 71st which now turns north at Elwood and connects to the Turkey Mtn. parking lot/trailhead.  That provides an alternative to the steep trail to the north.  It would be nice to see the path along 71st extended further west up to Tulsa Hills and beyond.  I imagine both the north and south sides of 71st from Elwood to US 75 will be built up with new neighborhoods in the next 10 years and it would be a nice asset for them to be able to connect to the river and Turkey Mtn.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:21:40 am by SXSW » Logged

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:46:57 am »

It would be nice to see the path along 71st extended further west up to Tulsa Hills and beyond.  I imagine both the north and south sides of 71st from Elwood to US 75 will be built up with new neighborhoods in the next 10 years and it would be a nice asset for them to be able to connect to the river and Turkey Mtn.
In addition a trail/sidewalk south along Elwood would be an asset.
Quite a bit of right of way, but not much shoulder... 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:17:01 am »

In addition a trail/sidewalk south along Elwood would be an asset.
Quite a bit of right of way, but not much shoulder... 

I agree.  SW Tulsa is growing fast, probably the fastest growing area of Tulsa due to 71st, US 75, and especially Tulsa Hills shopping center.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that whole area built-up eventually from the river to just west of US 75 north of 91st and south of 61st.  Might as well connect these neighborhoods with bike paths that also connect to Turkey Mtn. and the river trails.  Much better to see new homes here in Tulsa rather than in Owasso or BA.

Ihearttacos
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:01 am »

And I didn't notice construction of the climbing rocks, where will this be located? 

The bouldering/climbing rocks will be located to the south of the Turkey Mountain parking lot, just off the bike path.  It is to be completed in the first phase of the project.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »

If you haven't checked out the improvements made at Turkey Mtn. Urban Wilderness you really should.  The new restrooms, parking lot, and trailhead are finished.  If you are accessing it from the east bank river trail you go across the 71st St. bridge to near Elwood and then north to the trailhead parking lot.  From there you go back down to the river by the railroad tracks to connect with the west bank trail.  The trail is really steep and beautiful as it winds through the woods with Turkey rising sharply on one side and the river on the other. 

It would be nice though if they ever build a west bank river trail extension from 71st south to the Jenks bridge if you could cut through the wastewater facility just north of the 71st St. bridge instead of going up to Elwood and Turkey and then back down to the river.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »

If you haven't checked out the improvements made at Turkey Mtn. Urban Wilderness you really should.  The new restrooms, parking lot, and trailhead are finished.  If you are accessing it from the east bank river trail you go across the 71st St. bridge to near Elwood and then north to the trailhead parking lot.  From there you go back down to the river by the railroad tracks to connect with the west bank trail.  The trail is really steep and beautiful as it winds through the woods with Turkey rising sharply on one side and the river on the other. 

It would be nice though if they ever build a west bank river trail extension from 71st south to the Jenks bridge if you could cut through the wastewater facility just north of the 71st St. bridge instead of going up to Elwood and Turkey and then back down to the river.

We refer to the hills leading from the west bank trail to the parking lot as "The Three Spikes of Death".  That last hill leaves my thighs burning. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 11:44:32 am »

We refer to the hills leading from the west bank trail to the parking lot as "The Three Spikes of Death".  That last hill leaves my thighs burning. 

Nice name.  That climb is tough and kicks my butt every time.  The ride down is fun - I was very startled one time when I turned one of the corners only to find a horse / rider coming out of the brush.  I wasn't expecting that.  (Since I have seen many more people riding out there.)  It is a wonderful area.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:58 pm »

Supposedly there are caves near the base of Turkey near the tracks/river but I've never been able to find them.  Has anyone ever seen these caves?  There also said to be runes or inscriptions in the rock made by "pre-Columbian travelers" i.e. Vikings but more likely hobos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Mountain_inscriptions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org