A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:07:25 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Have an Update on the Light Rail Proposal?  (Read 7450 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 07:07:45 am »

I thought the city concluded that rail service would be way, way too expensive.  Who would want to pay $10 each way to get from BA to Tulsa?  Not enough people to fund the project.

In other news, Seattle opened up a new line.  The "South Lake Union Trolley."  I'd ride the SLUT for sure.  Everyone enjoys riding the SLUT.  Though, some people complain that the new SLUT will ruin the neighborhood.

SLUT.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/332081_slut18.html

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

There is still some push for it. The plan is light rail or a move towards large buses/carpooling with dedicated lanes. Tulsa Transit took a megabus for a test drive on the Tulsa-BA route earlier in the year.

Was it specifically this megabus?

http://www.megabus.com/us/

Seems like somebody posted a suggestion about this once upon a time...... hmmm..... [:I]

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4497&SearchTerms=megabus

This bus:

Bonus points to anyone who's seen this movie.

"Deploy the flags of many nations!"
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:24 am »

Last week MTTA was awarded partial funding from the Federal Transit Administration for an Alternatives Analysis for the BA/DT Tulsa Corridor.  Alternatives Analysis is the first step in the Federal process, if we are to recieve New Starts/Small Starts funding for a rail/fixed guideway project.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
Thinker
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 09:08:38 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I thought the city concluded that rail service would be way, way too expensive.  Who would want to pay $10 each way to get from BA to Tulsa?  Not enough people to fund the project.

In other news, Seattle opened up a new line.  The "South Lake Union Trolley."  I'd ride the SLUT for sure.  Everyone enjoys riding the SLUT.  Though, some people complain that the new SLUT will ruin the neighborhood.

SLUT.

Where did you get the amount of $10?  The numbers I've seen are about the same as riding the bus, no where close to ten dollars.

This is why I want to see the reports the Mayor has been getting.  If you just analyze a rail system as a stand alone project it seems very costly to build and maintain.  BUT, when you factor in the ancillary benefits that cost goes way, way down.
Thinker
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 09:09:50 am »

quote:

SLUT.

By the way the S.L.U.T. paragraph was pretty good!
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 09:10:49 am »

quote:

SLUT.

SLUT, funny.  Would Tulsa's version be called "ASLUT"?

as far as your initial statement...there is absolutly NOTHING factual about it.  Why spread patently untrue and unfounded rumors?  I do not get that.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 09:42:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Thinker

quote:

SLUT.

By the way the S.L.U.T. paragraph was pretty good!

I want one of the shirts.
booWorld
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 11:59:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Thinker

Increased usage of Tulsa's buses is great, and I'm glad to hear it.  I don't believe our transit woes can be cured with buses however.  Rail systems are faster, reduce smog, and most importantly remove traffic from roadways.

Actually, for this particular BA-Tulsa corridor study, the bus option (12 miles in 22 minutes) is faster than the train option (14 miles in 31 minutes).  Also, the proposed frequency of bus service during peak operation hours (every 40 minutes) is greater than the proposed train service frequency (every 72 minutes).
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »

quote:

What in the hell are you talking about?  The "city" concluded no such thing.  Stop spreading bulls**t rumors.

The "megabus" is called BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), and requires a dedicate lane of traffic to work.

"Light Rail" is a specific type of technology that was never proposed for any corridor.  Commuter Rail was examined, favorably I might add.  I believe MTTA received funds to do an Alternatives Analysis, for the BA Corridor which is the next step in the process.  Call MTTA for a progress report.

If you read other threads here, you might find there is a ton of info on the current INCOG study for passenger rail in Tulsa.

booWorld
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »

Light rail has been studied for several corridors in Tulsa, including the Broken Arrow to Tulsa route.  However, the figures I posted are from a commuter rail study presented to Tulsa Transit on April 30, 2007.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org