A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:29:23 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The River again?  (Read 11045 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »

The Chesapeake bay is a good example of that.

Our family kept our boat in the Chesapeake Bay when we lived back east.  The bay was brackish as far north as Annapolis, MD.  We were actually across the bay by Kent Island with the rest of the not so rich but I doubt very many here could find the Kent Narrows without Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/GcVv

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »

Its only salty below the confluence of the Cimarron  and Arkansas where Keystone Lake is formed. The Cimarron is salty because of its tributary, Salt Creek (though oil men assert its because of the numerous old wells along the Cimarron).

There are fresh water sharks aren't there?

What I heard years ago was that Lake Keystone was salty enough for sharks.  I don't know if there are fresh water sharks.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 08:14:51 am »

I heard Kaiser stocked Keystone with sharks that have laser beams.  He plans to release them down the river with his big gathering place project.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

I heard Kaiser stocked Keystone with sharks that have laser beams.  He plans to release them down the river with his big gathering place project.

As long as some of them are hollowed out for kayaking I'm ok with it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:52 am »

Shhhh. That's supposed to be eyes only.

onward...through the fog
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

Bull Sharks have adapted quite well and even prefer lower salinity at times.  They have been found in the Mississippi River system as far north as St. Louis.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_bullsharks_2.html

Check this out. Just what you were talking about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179904/Officials-clueless-bull-SHARK-turned-Alabama-lake.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »

Those old enough to remember a fisherman/sports guy who did segments on Ch 6 way back in the 60s70s may remember the rumor that an alligator was residing in the Arkansas between the Dam and Tulsa. I believe his name was Joe Krieger or Mac Creagor? He moonlighted at LooBoyles department store which had a pretty good fishing department. It would have to have migrated up the Mississippi, but more likely would have been transported by human. After spending some time on the river it would have been believable back then. Seemed like there was more water.

onward...through the fog
davideinstein
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »

Outside of the trails, we need to move on from the river. It's not the most desirable thing in the world.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:37 pm »

what's with all those ponds? Are they detention ponds?

Nice to see this moving ahead....forward!
shadows
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

It seems so odd for the people to want to turn the river that decades ago was considered as a health problem jeopardizing those who would dare eat the fish taken from it into a “jewel of Baghdad“.  Then too it was noted as a river of “quick sand” which swallowed up things that tried to navigate it before the 11 street bridge was built.

When a teenager, seining for bait, seined up a skull where the BA sewer disposal is before the river meandered to the north turning a 100 Acres in riverbed.  We just examined it and tossed it back in the river.     
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:51:46 pm by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

It seems so odd for the people to want to turn the river that decades ago was considered as a health problem jeopardizing those who would dare eat the fish taken from it into a “jewel of Baghdad“.  Then too it was noted as a river of “quick sand” which swallowed up things that tried to navigate it before the 11 street bridge was built.

When a teenager, seining for bait, seined up a skull where the BA sewer disposal is before the river meandered to the north turning a 100 Acres in riverbed.  We just examined it and tossed it back in the river.     

I believe there is a record of the incident.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 09:39:21 am »

I believe there is a record of the incident.

I don't think that a skull being found in the river is tied to it being a health hazard but I know it used to be one.
Students in Jenks used to take samples every year and have them analyzed back in the 80-90's and it always turned up more raw sewage than what was allowed.
Granted, these samples were taken at 81st sreet about 7 blocks from the treatment facility at 71st.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org