A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:04:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera/Ballet  (Read 3565 times)
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« on: May 01, 2010, 11:04:33 am »

Any fans?  I am going to the upcoming ballet on May 22nd.

We went to the Opera "Don Quichotte" last week and it was great!

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:27:20 pm »

Any fans?  I am going to the upcoming ballet on May 22nd.

We went to the Opera "Don Quichotte" last week and it was great!

I was wanting to go to that.  When things pick up for me I hope to start attending things.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:49:31 pm »

I was wanting to go to that.  When things pick up for me I hope to start attending things.

Truth be told, my friend's daughter got us the tickets through TCC!  At $6-7 per ticket, it was a steal and the seats weren't bad at all.

Do you have any connections at TCC?

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:19 pm »

Truth be told, my friend's daughter got us the tickets through TCC!  At $6-7 per ticket, it was a steal and the seats weren't bad at all.

Do you have any connections at TCC?

I am a TCC student.  When I saw the advertisments it made me want to go even more.  Things have been bad enough that I haven't even been able to afford that.  Of course managed to get the money to be able to take the kids to the movies tomorrow, just how it goes.
JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:35:21 am »

There are actually some cool things going on at TCC at Van Trease...
I've always been surprised that a community college has such a nice PAC.
About time TU get those new facilities up and running.....

I remember the glory days of Tulsa Opera with Ed Purrington at the helm-- lots of oil money back then.....

The first opera I ever saw at Tulsa Opera was a production of Verdi's Don Carlo....... cast included Tatiana Troyanos, Rosalind Plowright, Sam Ramey.... and in a special cameo as the grand inquisitor.... Jerome Hines.

Looking back on it... pretty amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:37:19 am by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:49:27 am »

Jeff, did you ever sing in a Tulsa Opera production? 

Honeysuckle, I saw Al Hirt with Tulsa Symphonia (I think that's the right company) at the Brady 15 to 20 years ago. At that time, he said Tulsa was so incredibly fortunate to have the performing arts scene and not to take it for granted. Apparently, the New Orleans Symphony had just shut down at that time.

We are blessed with some great philanthropy here which helps provide a lot in the way of performing & visual arts and educational facilities. It's easy to think of the shortfalls we think we have but on a per capita basis, Tulsa has to be one of the more generous cities.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:26:01 pm »

Nope.  At least not on the mainstage.
A LONG time ago, I sang some scenes from Rigoletto as part of a Tulsa Opera Studio touring program when I was a student at OCU.
Actually played in the pit for a youth performance of Il Trovatore back in my Tulsa Youth Symphony days (Asst Principle Cellist in '82-'83... gawd I'm old).   Cool

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
rwarn17588
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:25 pm »

We are blessed with some great philanthropy here which helps provide a lot in the way of performing & visual arts and educational facilities. It's easy to think of the shortfalls we think we have but on a per capita basis, Tulsa has to be one of the more generous cities.

Really? I heard the rich folk and the Midtown Money Belt were the root of all evil in Tulsa.

<sarcasm off>
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 06:46:41 am »

We get season tickets to the Opera.  Actually got my 4yo to sit through Rigoletto.  We only hit the Ballet once or twice a year.  It seems that the Ballet does spotty marketing.  Sometimes they really push a performance and other times you don't hear about it until it's gone.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:03 am »

I've got one or two daughters that would really enjoy the ballet.  Hope I can get them to one before too long. 
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »

I am glad to see that there are folks on the board who enjoy the Ballet and Opera, and even more so, that it is not just for snobs!! Grin  What impressed me most though was how nicely Tulsans dressed for the Opera.  Especially after seeing the way some dress to go out to eat.  Leave the pj's and sweats for lounging at home please!!! Roll Eyes

buckeye
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:01 pm »

Looking forward to Carmina Burana later this month.  T. Ballet, T. Symphony and T. Oratorio Chorus combined! 

Oh yes, and debauchery, fatalistic rants, sex, drinking, feasting, etc. etc.  All the good stuff.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:21:08 am »

You guys going to the Opera next week?

We went to see Swan Lake, and it was awesome as always.  I have only seen it three times over the years Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org