A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:15:31 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercury Marine to Oklahoma?  (Read 9538 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:49 pm »

One would have to presume from the info provided that the LT5 was produced only from 1990 to 1995 with the C4 Vette. So, I'd guess it was about then.

As for MM workers, it appears to me now that the WI bunch is acting like Boeing. That is, using OK as leverage to get what they want there. News stated there's "one more vote pending".

Next we'll be hearing about OK's plant closing and moving the jobs to WI.

Man, let's hope the union tools take it in the neck on this one.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »

Next we'll be hearing about OK's plant closing and moving the jobs to WI.
You win!

Mercury Marine to move Stillwater work to Wisconsin

Wasn't right-to-work supposed make this incident a non-possibility?  Roll Eyes

---Robert
MDepr2007
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:05 pm »

You win!

Mercury Marine to move Stillwater work to Wisconsin

Wasn't right-to-work supposed make this incident a non-possibility?  Roll Eyes

No
shadows
City Father

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 05:46:03 am »

When cities are allowed to enter into bidding wars to attract job this is what happens.  The union do use leverage in nearly all negotiations but also the cities also are using leverage to bring many things on line.  One does not need to look far for the leverage the City used in the AA and School Bus contract. 

Oklahoma was only the low man it the leverage costing hundreds of jobs.  It has come to where the cities should be prohibited from entering into bidding wars.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:47:51 am by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
waterboy
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 08:44:34 am »

By who?

Would you like the feds to prohibit it? Because that would seem to be a restraint of trade that wouldn't be very popular with the voters and extremely hard to police. It will happen on a less visible, informal manner often referred to as GOB or smokey back room dealings. Better eliminate any economic development entities within the city either cause they'll surely attempt to persuade businesses to locate here. Maybe you think the Chamber ought to reserve those functions?

I just don't understand your reasoning.

Mercury played us just like many people thought they were doing. I still believe as I stated in another thread, that people here put way too much faith in corporations. Something about our Calvinism here makes us believe corporate authority is supreme. They used our reputation as a low pay, non union support state to scare their employees into submission. Its embarrasing for our state. They played the game and so did we. We just need to get better at it.

Let me ask you this. Would your guy Medlock be in favor of prohibiting cities from enticing manufacturing jobs to our area using the powers that only governments possess? Namely tax benefits, grants etc.?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:48:33 am by waterboy » Logged
Wrinkle
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »

What'd I win....a Bass Boat?

Think the thing here is to approach economic development with class and dignity rather than like a Jr. High whore who just wants someone to notice.

The degree of gullibility our leaders seem to present promotes being used like this.

I'll say it again, the way to bring business is to make Tulsa a place _people_ want to live.  One thing which would make it a more people place is to have a government responsive to them.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:08:20 pm by Wrinkle » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 01:21:14 pm »

What'd I win....a Bass Boat?

Think the thing here is to approach economic development with class and dignity rather than like a Jr. High whore who just wants someone to notice.

The degree of gullibility our leaders seem to present promotes being used like this.

I'll say it again, the way to bring business is to make Tulsa a place _people_ want to live.  One thing which would make it a more people place is to have a government responsive to them.

Yes. Your bass boat is moored up over on the docks at Zink Lake. Wink The one's promised to us since the late '70's and shown once again on the new (Blue Rose) plans.

I agree with what you've posted.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:08:29 am by waterboy » Logged
shadows
City Father

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 08:44:42 pm »

Ever hear about “freedom of enterprise” without governments interfering?

Or “to the winner goes the spoils”. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Wrinkle
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:06 am »

Under the guise of "Public-Private Partnerships", government and business have joined at the hip and left constituants out of the loop, except as required by law. Then, either it's minimal compliance, or outright anti-public campaigns based upon lies, deceit and use of every technique in the book to minimize the impact of the public on their plans.

I'm going back to campaign finance on this. If corporations weren't allowed to participate in OUR election of OUR representation, at least with direct contributions to candidates, and individuals where able to donate only to candidates for who they can vote, it would restore representation as it was intended, and solve a lot of other problems.

Our Council could stop this practice in short order if they wished.

Wished they would.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org