A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:41:47 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Unemployment Plummeting OKC Lowest in The Country  (Read 50539 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:59 pm »

I strongly support Michelle Bachmann  and I think she would of made a great president. I agree very much with her policies.

I'm sure you do.  She has shown herself to be profoundly stupid.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:47 pm »

Fox news? What has that got to do about anything? This is about basic economics 101. Raise taxes you choke off the economy, lower taxes you grow the economy. This is not rocket science.

You really haven't paid any attention to real economic cycles...particularly those of the last 80 years.  Go back to the library and stay away from the graphic novel section.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

Its not rocket science for someone who's actually had Economics 101. That apparently doesn't include you.

It would actually be econ 102, 101 is generally microecon.

But he still has no idea what he is talking about. I'm sure he also just loves that Ron Paul, and Ron Paul gives economists hives with an eye twitch.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 05:58:02 pm »

Ironically, the periods of the most economic growth on the IS have been under relatively high tax periods.  There is no empirical evidence for the "low taxes grows the economy" argument.  The debate continues - but generally money taken in by taxes is quickly recycled into the economy... so it may be irrelevant to a large extent. 

23% of the employment in Oklahoma is directly related to the government ("small government").  If you included highway contracts, defense contracts, and education grants to TU and other private schools it probably tops 33%.  If you include "secondary jobs" (1/3 of all Walmart jobs and service jobs in general, medical etc.) it could be 50%.

I'm not arguing that is a good thing.  But it is only bad in and if the money is spent less efficiently by government than the private sector.  Waste is always bad, defining it economically is difficult.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:24 pm »

Ironically, the periods of the most economic growth on the IS have been under relatively high tax periods.  There is no empirical evidence for the "low taxes grows the economy" argument.  The debate continues - but generally money taken in by taxes is quickly recycled into the economy... so it may be irrelevant to a large extent.  

23% of the employment in Oklahoma is directly related to the government ("small government").  If you included highway contracts, defense contracts, and education grants to TU and other private schools it probably tops 33%.  If you include "secondary jobs" (1/3 of all Walmart jobs and service jobs in general, medical etc.) it could be 50%.

I'm not arguing that is a good thing.  But it is only bad in and if the money is spent less efficiently by government than the private sector.  Waste is always bad, defining it economically is difficult.

Even more intriguing - best economic growth has always - at least since WWII - been when there was an initial tax cut for the recession, followed by a tax increase when the economy has basically bottomed out and started up.  From as short as 9 months to no more than about 18 months.  Except this last time...we didn't do what has been proven over and over, so we are kind of muddling along right now.  If the Bush tax cuts had been allowed to expire, we would have been in dramatically better shape than now.  And now isn't all that horrible.  

Cabbage-boy will never understand the facts, though.  He is an RWRE, has drunk the Fool-Aid, and follows the tenets of failure spewed by the agents of Murdochian Spewiness!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:38:52 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »

Ironically, the periods of the most economic growth on the IS have been under relatively high tax periods.
Everyone who ate pickles in 1776 is dead.  Pickles cause death.

"Most economic growth on the IS have been under relatively high tax periods."  High taxes promote economic growth.

Waste is always bad, defining it economically is difficult.
That will always be the problem.  Your "waste" is my "beneficial" program.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:13 pm »

"Most economic growth on the IS have been under relatively high tax periods."  High taxes promote economic growth.

Do the analysis - using your engineering training - it will get you past the Murdochian static and you will achieve enlightenment!  Possibly even Nirvana!

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »

Sometimes correlations show the truth. As Freud once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Not letting convictions get in the way of truth is an important life skill.

That's a lot of philosophical bs but still, there is some truth there.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 09:03:09 pm »

Sometimes correlations show the truth.
Sometimes they do, but not always.  It's way too easy to jump on the correlation band wagon. There is almost always more to it.  Too bad Paul Harvey isn't still around to tell the "rest of the story".

Not letting convictions get in the way of truth is an important life skill.
True.  Determining the truth can also be subject to interpretation of events.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »

Tell ya what, if Bachmann was the presidente today we'd have much lower unemployment, a major turn around in the economy and Cheap Gasoline Prices since we'd be allowed to drill for our own oil. We'd already have the Keystone pipleline under construction right now- Bachmann would put common sense people in the EPA instead of the radicals Obama put in there. Obama was in office 5 years and what has improved? Nothing. Next year the boondoggle called 'BamaCare starts and there goes our health care system- death panels (not doctors) will be calling the shots. There will have to be major health care rationing under 'BamaCare there is no other way to avoid that. The IRS will be in charge of the health care. If Bachmann was elected I bet gasoline will be under $2.00 right now or darn close to it and falling. Oil Speculators would get out of the oil market with all the domestic oil drilling going on. OPEC will be dropping prices in hopes of slowing down our domestic drilling expansion. We'd be sitting pretty right now if Bachmann was elected, instead we're still in the depression year number 5 with that doofus in the whitehouse. Most of that nation has been paying around $4.00 a gallon for gasoline for most of 'Bama's term in office. When Bush left office gasoline was $1.70 a gallon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:22:10 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »

Tell ya what, if Bachmann was the presidente today we'd have much lower unemployment, a major turn around in the economy and Cheap Gasoline Prices since we'd be allowed to drill for our own oil. We'd already have the Keystone pipleline under construction right now- Bachmann would put common sense people in the EPA instead of the radicals Obama put in there. Obama was in office 5 years and what has improved? Nothing. Next year the boondoggle called 'BamaCare starts and there goes our health care system- death panels (not doctors) will be calling the shots. There will have to be major health care rationing under 'BamaCare there is no other way to avoid that. The IRS will be in charge of the health care. If Bachmann was elected I bet gasoline will be under $2.00 right now or darn close to it and falling. Oil Speculators would get out of the oil market with all the domestic oil drilling going on. OPEC will be dropping prices in hopes of slowing down our domestic drilling expansion. We'd be sitting pretty right now if Bachmann was elected, instead we're still in the depression year number 5 with that doofus in the whitehouse. Most of that nation has been paying around $4.00 a gallon for gasoline for most of 'Bama's term in office. When Bush left office gasoline was $1.70 a gallon.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 05:16:43 pm »

And pudding? PUDDING WOULD BE FREE FOR ALL WHO WANTED IT!!

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:58 pm »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:14:29 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2013, 06:20:26 pm »

And pudding? PUDDING WOULD BE FREE FOR ALL WHO WANTED IT!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6m6bpxkjP4[/youtube]
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 09:36:57 am »

When Bush left office gasoline was $1.70 a gallon.

You must have forgotten when gas prices in America hit $4.21 per gallon (it was under Bush). The prices were over $3 a gallon all of 2008 until the last month. The economy crashed and gas prices plummeted from $3.50 a gallon to $1.78 a gallon the last 60 days of the Bush presidency.

That is the context. I know that such thinking must be above your pay grade. You can't simply pick out one day or one example and post about it without having others show context.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org