A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:53:00 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallin cuts top tax rate, says state revenue growth is enough.  (Read 113580 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:11 am »

We are in a rut. I don't think we have to stay there. Other countries pay their employees enough to support better quality products at higher prices. Mercedes are used as taxi cabs in other parts of the world. They are just another well built vehicle. Here we worship their status because of their price related to our income.

The next generations will need to learn how to manage in scarce energy situations, rising labor costs as other countries mature and sustainability efforts take hold. I have confidence that our profligate ways will be amended. Wink

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »

Alaska is intriguing. My guess is that much of it is now inhabited by the remains of pipeline workers.

Are they all now deceased?  "Remains" sounds like cemetery material to me.

Cheesy

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »

We are in a rut. I don't think we have to stay there. Other countries pay their employees enough to support better quality products at higher prices. Mercedes are used as taxi cabs in other parts of the world. They are just another well built vehicle. Here we worship their status because of their price related to our income.

I can't speak to your Mercedes taxi cabs but when I was in Germany in 1995, I rented a BMW 316.  It wasn't as fancy as a US market BMW.  It had a 1.6 Litre engine, manual seats, no air conditioning, manual roll-up/down windows, drum brakes on the rear and few other things I can't remember.   It did manage to go 200 km/hr  (approx 127 MPH) on the Autobahn but just barely.  It was geared to cruise, not accelerate.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:10 pm »

The Japanese and Korean car makers have all located in right-to-work states as well.

One could equally easily conclude that they all located in states with lower than average wages.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »

Could they possibly have a plan they're considering to get those tax dollars back another way? My own state doesn't have a state income tax and property taxes were high at one time. Several years ago, they brought the video lottery to a vote. It was voted in and is even legal off the reservations. I'm not suggesting that it's the way to go, but just saying it's possible that they have something else in mind to raise revenue. It did drop property taxes by 30% up here.

Nevada is still struggling, but Florida is starting to come out of their awful slump. Tourism is up dramatically and a huge part of it is foreigners. In the Ft. Lauderdale area, rich Brazilians have been buying up real estate. The wealthy British businessmen did the same in Orlando several years ago. Their problem is they were heavily relying on tourism and when the rest of the country struggled, their economy was really suffering since many people skipped vacations just to make ends meet.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »

The wealthy British businessmen did the same in Orlando several years ago.

More so your random middle classish British folk who were tired of the weather and liked Orlando. In 2002-3, you could sell a decent house in most of England for enough money to buy a 4,000 square foot McMansion on a golf course in a gated community in the outskirts of Orlando. A lot of people did, driving home prices way, way up and setting them up for a huge crash thanks to the people who kept buying in in the 2007-2008 timeframe. (I'm pretty familiar with that whole thing, as my SO worked for a bunch of expat English when she was living in Orlando)

Not that the bust seems to have mattered a whit to the level of construction out there. Even as recently as two years ago there was quite a bit of open land along US441 between Ocala and Orlando. Not any more. The east side seems to have slowed down somewhat, but even there they're still building houses on a vast scale.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:37 pm »

Governor Will Propose a Tax Cut

http://kwgs.com/post/governor-will-propose-tax-cut

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Gov. Mary Fallin will urge lawmakers to consider a one-time tax cut with no offsetting loss of exemptions or deductions when the Legislature convenes on Feb. 4.

At a forum hosted by The Associated Press on Wednesday, Fallin said she will propose a permanent tax cut that she says will be "responsible" and lead to economic growth that will ultimately offset the lost revenue.

Fallin declined to say how much of a cut she will propose, adding that the details will be outlined in her State of the State address to lawmakers on the opening day of session.

Fallin says her plan will not include automatic triggers to further reduce the income tax rate if certain revenue conditions are met.

Oklahoma's top income tax rate is currently 5.25 percent.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »

This is good news. The tax cut will be off-set by growth in the economy and that will bring in more money to the state. Economics 101 works every time.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »

This is good news. The tax cut will be off-set by growth in the economy and that will bring in more money to the state. Economics 101 works every time.

Now Mary, I think you're being disingenuous to the average tax payer on this one.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »

Many people are unhappy with the proposed tax cut.  As a protest they are encouraged to write a check for the difference and send it on in.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 03:34:08 pm »

Many people are unhappy with the proposed tax cut.  As a protest they are encouraged to write a check for the difference and send it on in.

Let me know how that works out for you...wait, nevermind.  Hold on, I'm looking for a picture of the rat's anus that I give.

just a minute...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »

It doen't pass the liberal test.  WWKD?

Come on, you know that a giant tax hike is the only thing that produces economic growth.

Raise taxes. . .?. . .Economic Growth

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 03:47:33 pm »

I seriously am starting to believe you just say ignorant stuff like that to stir up some carp.  Like Breadburner without the kinky sex....

But if for some "God knows why" reason you happen to be serious... That is just one of the most ignorant of many ignorant things that have been posted under that name.  It means you are a lot like Michelle Bachmann...profoundly under-intelligent.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »

Come on, you know that a giant tax hike is the only thing that produces economic growth.

Tax cuts when you can't afford to run the state properly isn't the answer. 

Maybe she and the state legislature could admit to incompetence and make room for people who skip the religion craze and work on effective education.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »

It doen't pass the liberal test.  WWKD?

Raise taxes. . .?. . .Economic Growth

Nice try!  Even if you do know it's BS.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org