A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:53:44 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 47454 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 03:36:19 pm »

CDC says it, so media outlets will probably use it.
Note that they say the average symptomatic time is 8-10 days.

Thank you.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 04:29:34 pm »

So then what is the up to 21 days number I've heard?

21 days is the maximum incubation period that has been seen. Once an exposed person passes 21 days they can be considered in the clear. Average is 4-6 days.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »

21 days is the maximum incubation period that has been seen. Once an exposed person passes 21 days they can be considered in the clear. Average is 4-6 days.

Courtesy of Hoss and the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/index.html

Symptoms of Ebola include

Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F)
Severe headache
Muscle pain
Weakness
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Abdominal (stomach) pain
Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)
Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola, but the average is 8 to 10 days.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:07 pm »

It's ten days since this guy became contagious, why isn't there a massive outbreak yet? The average incubation period is 4-6 days and the man in Dallas was sick after 9 days. Where are the other sick people, shouldn't SOMEONE have gotten sick yet?

If you listened to right wing radio and Newscorp non-news machine you'd think that the world is ending and it's all Obama's fault when so far there is exactly ONE case of Ebola and it keeps not spreading.

What's more, no one that has been brought out of Africa to be cared for in western countries has died. None, all recovered. Those American healthcare workers that The Toupee and Fox wanted kept out of the US because they were going to spread the disease and kill us all? All have been cured and no one else was infected.

Fox/Newscorp/Rush/Clear Channel are all lying to you. They are spreading fear because it makes them money. Quit being so damn gullible.  

Expert climatologist and epidemiologist all in one!  I may just start calling you “The Professor”.  I’m sure by now you’ve heard Duncan’s condition has been downgraded to “critical” today.  I sure hope he ends up not breaking the chain of not dying while under the care of a western nation.  

I don’t have a fear of catching it, I simply don’t believe it’s anything to be taken lightly.  You make it sound as if it deserves the concern of a common cold.

That right wing rag NY Times is even in on this with the winger sources you mentioned (which I don’t watch or listen to):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/us/ebola.html?_r=0

Meanwhile, health officials had narrowed the pool of people who were at a risk of exposure in Dallas — because they had contact with Mr. Duncan while he was infectious — to nine, all of whom were being closely monitored.

Initially, officials reached out to 114 people in the Dallas area who potentially had direct or indirect contact with Mr. Duncan after he arrived in the city on Sept. 20. They have reduced that number to about 50 — the nine at high risk because they had definite contact with Mr. Duncan and about 40 others considered at lower risk.

“We don’t know that they had contact, but because we’re not certain that they did not have contact, we will be monitoring them as well,” said Dr. Frieden. Some of those people included patients who had traveled in the ambulance that had carried Mr. Duncan to the hospital before it was taken out of service and cleaned.

I will say that CDC and local health authorities are taking it quite seriously and I’m impressed with their diligence in making sure they keep the threat of it spreading minimal.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

Courtesy of Hoss and the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/index.html

Symptoms of Ebola include

Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F)
Severe headache
Muscle pain
Weakness
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Abdominal (stomach) pain
Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)
Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola, but the average is 8 to 10 days.

Yes, that is true in previous outbreaks, this one is coming on faster but also isn't as deadly only killing about 60% of victims down from 90%.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »

Expert climatologist and epidemiologist all in one!  I may just start calling you “The Professor”.  I’m sure by now you’ve heard Duncan’s condition has been downgraded to “critical” today.  I sure hope he ends up not breaking the chain of not dying while under the care of a western nation.  

I don’t have a fear of catching it, I simply don’t believe it’s anything to be taken lightly.  You make it sound as if it deserves the concern of a common cold.

That right wing rag NY Times is even in on this with the winger sources you mentioned (which I don’t watch or listen to):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/us/ebola.html?_r=0

I will say that CDC and local health authorities are taking it quite seriously and I’m impressed with their diligence in making sure they keep the threat of it spreading minimal.

Yes, there was a serious failure in his case when he was sent home the first time he went to the hospital.  I also have said that I expect some of his family to become ill with his serious vomiting problem. I don't know if he can be saved, I am much more confident that if his family becomes ill they will have a good outcome.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »

Yes, that is true in previous outbreaks, this one is coming on faster but also isn't as deadly only killing about 60% of victims down from 90%.

Source please.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 09:09:23 pm »

Source please.

Yeah, I should have linked it when I first quoted it. I can't seem to find it anymore.

It was an article that listed each outbreak, infection rates, death rates, and incubation periods. I will keep looking. The survival rate is likely due to improved treatment, but the virus also may be changing.

I will keep looking.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »

I can't seem to find it anymore.

I've been there before.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 09:46:35 pm »

Yeah, I should have linked it when I first quoted it. I can't seem to find it anymore.

It was an article that listed each outbreak, infection rates, death rates, and incubation periods. I will keep looking. The survival rate is likely due to improved treatment, but the virus also may be changing.

I will keep looking.

There's a wealth of information on this WHO site, including a chart of previous outbreaks and their mortality rates:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

This was interesting:

"The virus family Filoviridae includes 3 genera: Cuevavirus, Marburgvirus, and Ebolavirus. There are 5 species that have been identified: Zaire, Bundibugyo, Sudan, Reston and Taï Forest. The first 3, Bundibugyo ebolavirus, Zaire ebolavirus, and Sudan ebolavirus have been associated with large outbreaks in Africa. The virus causing the 2014 west African outbreak belongs to the Zaire species."

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 11:20:57 pm »

So...is that a no on Benny Hinn?  Is Jethro Dollar a healer?

Which one of these mother scratchers can get in there and heal this smile?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 11:43:17 pm »

So...is that a no on Benny Hinn?  Is Jethro Dollar a healer?

Which one of these mother scratchers can get in there and heal this smile?

This guy maybe? Is he still in the metroplex area?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:04 am »

This guy maybe? Is he still in the metroplex area?

Too much flatulence.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1hqfC0l5Pg[/youtube]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 12:51:14 am »

Too much flatulence.

Thought about that clip, but did not want anyone to claim I owed them a keyboard/tablet/monitor for shooting a beverage out their nose.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »

Too much flatulence.

Best parody ever!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org