A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:24:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confiscating the Phone Records of US Citizens  (Read 148721 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:55 am »

Well, so far iOS7 sucks on iPad.  Looks pretty, but much slower.  I figured there would be something new or groundbreaking, but lately it seems Apple is only focusing on aesthetics.  Glad I went with the HTC 1 for my pocket data appliance.

Just got an iPad Friday (typing on it now).  Upgraded to iOS7, so can't tell the difference.  Seems "smoother" than Windows, but is slow.  Not much impressed with any of the so called smart phoneage...gonna just stick with the old Nokia 6010 dinosaurus phone.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:23 am »

We have lost our way.

At least these are professionals who would never abuse the power the wield...

The NSA inspector general, in the letter dated September 11, detailed 12 investigations that found the NSA's civilian and military employees used the agency's spying tools to search for email addresses or try to snoop on phone calls of current or former lovers, spouses and relatives, both foreign and American.
In one instance, a military member queried six email addresses of a former girlfriend, an American, on the first day of having access to the data collection system in 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/27/us-usa-surveillance-watchdog-idUSBRE98Q0PW20130927

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2013, 12:58:58 pm »

At least these are professionals who would never abuse the power the wield...

The NSA inspector general, in the letter dated September 11, detailed 12 investigations that found the NSA's civilian and military employees used the agency's spying tools to search for email addresses or try to snoop on phone calls of current or former lovers, spouses and relatives, both foreign and American.
In one instance, a military member queried six email addresses of a former girlfriend, an American, on the first day of having access to the data collection system in 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/27/us-usa-surveillance-watchdog-idUSBRE98Q0PW20130927

It's natural for government to abuse power.  That is the purpose of our constitution, to bind power.

After all, these guys aren't priests.  Oh, wait! Bad example.  Cheesy

What ever you do, don't eat the apple!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2013, 10:39:53 pm »

It's natural for government to abuse power.  That is the purpose of our constitution, to bind power.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/09/meet-the-machines-that-steal-your-phones-data
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/08/cellphone-data-spying-nsa-police/3902809/

In Oklahoma, The Tulsa County Sheriff's office uses Stingray variations at the county fair to not only "improve cell reception" (while scooping up user's cellphone data) but in "Denial Of Service" mode, block cellphone users from being able to make or recieve calls, data or text when the department percieves an emergency requiring them to do so.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:37 am »

After all, these guys aren't priests.  Oh, wait! Bad example.  Cheesy

What ever you do, don't eat the apple!

Its natural for people to abuse power. Animals too. People in government, with guns, in cars, on bikes, in boats, flying airplanes, using field binoculars, listening on party lines, overhearing conversations at parties ALL are abusing power and privilege and have since forever.

Why do you think the nature of the situation or who rules and how they rule would make any difference? Privacy and security are illusions we create to allow us some sanity.

BTW, I also have the HTC1. Took some getting used to but I like it now.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2013, 01:36:03 pm »

Its natural for people to abuse power. Animals too. People in government, with guns, in cars, on bikes, in boats, flying airplanes, using field binoculars, listening on party lines, overhearing conversations at parties ALL are abusing power and privilege and have since forever.

Why do you think the nature of the situation or who rules and how they rule would make any difference? Privacy and security are illusions we create to allow us some sanity.

BTW, I also have the HTC1. Took some getting used to but I like it now.

Bah.  Got the LG Nexus 5 last month.  Once I started buying unlocked Google phones, I don't think I'll ever have another 'contract' phone.  This makes it easy for me to fire my carrier and go with a different one if they should make me angry.   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »

Bah.  Got the LG Nexus 5 last month.  Once I started buying unlocked Google phones, I don't think I'll ever have another 'contract' phone.  This makes it easy for me to fire my carrier and go with a different one if they should make me angry.   Grin

I don't have the tech savvy yet to do that. Might want to buy you lunch some day. Besides, not only are my needs for technology relatively minor and definitely secondary to all my other needs, I have this host of family that tags on to my contract.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »

I don't have the tech savvy yet to do that. Might want to buy you lunch some day. Besides, not only are my needs for technology relatively minor and definitely secondary to all my other needs, I have this host of family that tags on to my contract.

If you have a family plan, you can still contract one-by-one.  Makes it more difficult to leave the carrier outright however.  Have my mother on my plan, but her old Nokia bar phone is so old (I got it for her during the ice storm of 2007) that we could both leave.  I might get her a SnapFon as they make good, easy to use phones for seniors with big buttons.  She'd never use text anyway.  She barely uses her mobile phone since we still have a landline (reasons I've explained in the past) but it's peace of mind for me in case I'm gone and power goes out or something.

Plus, the unlocked phone really doesn't take 'tech savvy'.  You just don't get all the carrier bloatware, and, as I've said, if you get upset and are out of your contract, you can switch.  You can even switch to an unlocked phone before your contract is up if you want, but you're still obligated to complete the terms of the contract, or pay the ETF (which in most cases is really not that much).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:09:28 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »

What exactly is an "unlocked" Google phone? Does it lack a sim card? Do you buy packages of data and minutes from various providers? Like a month to month renter?

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:21 pm »

What exactly is an "unlocked" Google phone? Does it lack a sim card? Do you buy packages of data and minutes from various providers? Like a month to month renter?

Unlocked means a phone you don't buy from the carrier and lock yourself into a contract for the discounted price of the phone.  It means you can choose what carrier to use via sim card.  Many carrier locked phones don't allow this.  Once your contract expires, you can ask them to unlock the phone, but it's almost like pulling teeth.

Sure, you'll pay a little of a premium to get the Google unlocked phone at $349.  But try and buy a brand new unlocked Samsung G4..that will run you about 700.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:00 pm »

Unlocked means a phone you don't buy from the carrier and lock yourself into a contract for the discounted price of the phone.  It means you can choose what carrier to use via sim card.  Many carrier locked phones don't allow this.  Once your contract expires, you can ask them to unlock the phone, but it's almost like pulling teeth.

Sure, you'll pay a little of a premium to get the Google unlocked phone at $349.  But try and buy a brand new unlocked Samsung G4..that will run you about 700.

And you STILL won't have an iPhone!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:15 pm »

And you STILL won't have an iPhone!

Thank the maker.  Apple can bite me!

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »

I saw an unlocked Moto for about $179 which looked a lot like my HTC1. I don't use much data so I could probably save using it and a cheap carrier.

Are you saying that Iphones cannot be unlocked? My wife wants the Iphone.

Sorry I'm so dense. I still consider it a phone rather than a pocket tech device.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »

Most don't use sim cards anymore.  AT&T, FamilyMobile (T-Mobile), and I think Verizon have sim options.  Goes to GSM versus CDMA.  I have been going through smartphone systems with a Samsung Note I borrowed.  Getting ready to buy a CDMA (non-sim) phone so can try US Cellular, Sprint (Virgin mobile) and maybe Cricket.  So far, I am not impressed.  I have been irked with AT&T for a while, but even with all the problems I have with them in my traffic pattern, the alternatives have been worse, so far.  Blech!!     (StraightTalk sucks about as bad as FamilyMobile)

I hear good things about Sprint, but when I use their phones, still seem to get dropped calls.  Anyone have input on Sprint?  Or US Cellular?

And 4G is still kind of silly.  Definitely not ready for prime time...

Unlocked is good.

And while we're waiting for a decent cell phone company, here is something that may actually be something that could be acted on with results....

http://www.upworthy.com/people-should-know-about-this-awful-thing-we-do-and-most-of-us-are-simply-unaware?g=2&c=reccon1

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2013, 09:52:08 am »

Sorry I'm so dense. I still consider it a phone rather than a pocket tech device.

I hadn't thought about it, but rarely ever actually talk on my cell phone anymore.  the vast majority of time, even for communication, it's a text or an email.  90% of my use of my "phone" is for email, calendar reminders, perusing websites and/or apps (it's an iphone) and tethering my laptop when I'm not in a WiFi area.  (It's amazing how much work I can get done in the parking lot of a soccer complex waiting for practice to be finished.)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org