A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:30:17 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNF Forum Lunch Phat Phillies Tues, Feb. 7  (Read 15159 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 03:22:38 pm »

Wow! That was even more dilapidated than I remember.  No wonder I thought they'd have to knock the building down.  Glad they were able to save the old Strings West, that's a nice adaptive re-use.  After looking at the signage inside and a few other cues, anyone else want to bet they are planning a micro-chain or franchising?

I don't know, but I was surprised that not a single employee looked high and the reggae music was gone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »

I don't know, but I was surprised that not a single employee looked high and the reggae music was gone.

Some of the patrons, however.....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »

The markings on the pole of all the celebs who have bought guitars at Strings West (a virtual who's-who of rock and country) got me to searching out some Larry Briggs links.  I thought he had an FB page I creeped once with a lot of celeb shots and guitars, but it may well have been elsewhere.

Larry Briggs has been active in the music business since 1970, when he and his father opened a used guitar shop in rural Tulsa County, Oklahoma.  In 1974 he purchased a music store in Tulsa, and proceeded to combine his extensive collection of old and rare instruments and amplifiers with the existing new inventory.  Larry was one of the few people in the Southwest dealing in vintage guitars during this time period, and his reputation grew rapidly.  Consequently, Strings West became an oasis of old and rare guitars, amplifiers, banjos and mandolins.

Larry was appointed to the dealer advisory board of Guitar Player Magazine in 1983, and served thereon for many years.  He sold guitars and amplifiers to many of the super groups and stars of the seventies, eighties, nineties and into this century, including Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughan, Billy Gibbons, Ted Nugent, Vince Gill, Neil Schon, Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Little River Band, Heart, Bob Dylan, the Bee Gees, Barney Kessel, Brian Setzer, Bobby and David Carradine, the Climax Blues Band, Elvin Bishop, Hank Williams, Jr., J. D. Souther, J. J. Cale, Ry Cooder, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ricky Van Shelton, John Fogerty, Junior Brown, Thom Bresh, Merle Travis (Larry owns Merle's 1962 Cadillac convertible), Leo Kottke, Michael Martin Murphy, New Grass Revival, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Pete Anderson, Pink Floyd, Pure Prairie League, Robert Blake, Scotty Moore, Stone Temple Pilots, Survivor, David Bromberg, Ronnie Dunn, 1964 Beatles Tribute Band and many others.  In 1988, Larry co-authored  “Guitars, Guitars, Guitars”, bible which contains some of the first comprehensive serial number reference information for Fender, Gibson, Guild, and other American brand guitars, and which was used extensively in the vintage guitar business.

http://www.stringswest.com/

Ahhh, I wasn't on drugs:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strings-West-of-Tulsa/93530552447

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »

I wish I could have talked with each of you. At least I have some new faces to put next to GG and Hoss. Maybe we should set these lunches up like "speed dating" or insist on round tables. Wevsus and MsGrizz are probably getting tired of hearing my stories all the time (even though they are quite remarkable).

As interesting as Strings West and the empty buildings next to it were, Phat's is a vast improvement.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 07:23:35 pm »

I wish I could have talked with each of you. At least I have some new faces to put next to GG and Hoss. Maybe we should set these lunches up like "speed dating" or insist on round tables. Wevsus and MsGrizz are probably getting tired of hearing my stories all the time (even though they are quite remarkable).

As interesting as Strings West and the empty buildings next to it were, Phat's is a vast improvement.

Found out today a good friend and old co-worker of mine is Larry Briggs' cousin.  Guess what?  He's a guitar player for two local bands.  Who'd a thunk it?

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:54 pm »

It was good seeing everyone today. 

Trust but verify
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:53 pm »

Sorry I missed you guys. It's probably for the best, though. SWMBO came home and informed me that she required a philly. That's four for me since they reopened. As if I wasn't already fat enough.  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »

FYI the Reggae music is back....

.. give it time Smiley

TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40:19 pm »

what's all this then? 

I am interested next time one of these comes up...someone holler at me. 

I was just thinking today to see if any of you hit the pub.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 07:42:58 am »

what's all this then? 

TulsaNow folks used to have a monthly happy hour but attendance waned. There has been talk of restarting it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 08:00:42 am »

what's all this then? 

Picnic lunch at Rotary Park next week.  We’ve got another thread going on it.  We’d love to meet our newest member.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:16 am »

Picnic lunch at Rotary Park next week.  We’ve got another thread going on it.  We’d love to meet our newest member.

Where's the thread? I want all the detes.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:29 am »

Where's the thread? I want all the detes.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=18827.0
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:49 am »

Good stuff, thanks.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 10:14:35 am »

TulsaNow folks used to have a monthly happy hour but attendance waned. There has been talk of restarting it.

count me in if you do - I'm a lush.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org