A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:15:25 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deco district pop-up shopping center downtown  (Read 23955 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:36 am »

I guess my TULSA TYPE OF QUESTIONS...are these small pop up shops open after 5:00pm or 7:00pm? or do they close down like 90% of the other stores in Tulsa
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:35 am »

That TW article says they're open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

At least they're open Saturdays. I'd go on Saturdays even if it were less convenient just because downtown so badly needs life away from the normal 9-5 M-F business hours.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 09:29:22 am »

I guess my TULSA TYPE OF QUESTIONS...are these small pop up shops open after 5:00pm or 7:00pm? or do they close down like 90% of the other stores in Tulsa

Two things:

I don't think they can rightly be called pop-up shops anymore.  They are paying money for rent now.

I think their hours may be somewhat determined by the fact that the only way to access them is through the main philcade lobby, which has restricted hours.  They will not get a build out for each store (including exterior door) until they sign a longer lease.  I may well be totally wrong about that.  They may also be treading lightly at first.  I'm sure that these shop owners would love to be open later.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:43 am »

I don't think they can rightly be called pop-up shops anymore.  They are paying money for rent now.

Maybe the Deco-Pop district?
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:27 am »

I think they are calling themselves the Deco District Shops.  If they wanted to be more '81st and memorial'  The should call themselves The Shoppes at The Deco or The Shoppes at The Philcade.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:35 am »

Those in the industry refer to these type spaces as retail motels.....
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

Those in the industry refer to these type spaces as retail motels.....

And on the internet, we call people like you trolls.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:53 am »

And on the internet, we call people like you trolls.

mean people suck
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:07 am »

I'm assuming the philcade, like every other major downtown building, has a security guard sitting around in the lobby 24/7. So I don't think it would require some major hassle and expenditure. The guard would just have to lock the doors a little later.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »

I'm assuming the philcade, like every other major downtown building, has a security guard sitting around in the lobby 24/7. So I don't think it would require some major hassle and expenditure. The guard would just have to lock the doors a little later.

The guard in the philcade is a really nice guy.  That is a rare quality in SO's.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 12:31:24 pm »

A long read....so, it won't get play here but I thought you might find this interesting. Today in Paris, 15 years from now Teatown!

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/01/ff_ux/all/1

For the Teatown downtown tunnel age?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:18 pm »

We're much more likely to see this:

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Have only seen the one at the north entrance that was there before Christmas.  Sounds like there are more now.  Will try to get by.

I would like to see some little hand-crafted shop of some sort.  A little glass shop, pottery, or hand woodworking shop perhaps.  If it weren't too "amusement park" style.  Only problem with that is the same as the others - maybe more so - making the rent.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:43 am »

Have only seen the one at the north entrance that was there before Christmas.  Sounds like there are more now.  Will try to get by.

I would like to see some little hand-crafted shop of some sort.  A little glass shop, pottery, or hand woodworking shop perhaps.  If it weren't too "amusement park" style.  Only problem with that is the same as the others - maybe more so - making the rent.

One of the shops in the Philcade has some hand made, wood block type, prints and such.  Also don't forget the Philtower and Atlas Life right across the street has some art gallery spaces. I think the Atlas has a pottery/sculpture studio and shop in it.

One of the tricky things for some of these pop-up shops is going to be simply hanging in there while things are slow this winter season.  Another is that they will have to evolve to offer a wider variety of items or perhaps even different items as they get a feel for the market.  Some of them are limited as to what they have.  It's difficult when your just starting out like many of them are with limited funds.   It's going to be tough for a lot of them to simply make rent, let alone make enough profit to reinvest in more, and a wider variety of, merchandise, and certainly not have enough extra to take anything home.  

Part of what has made places like Elotes and Dwelling spaces successful is that they have used social networking, tons of promotional events, cultivated a fan base, and advertised out the wazoo in whatever way they could.   At this stage in the downtown game you can't imo just open up and sit there thinking people will show up.  Libby and Mary Beth have promoted themselves to success.  That requires a lot more work, and these Deco District Shops people are already putting in a lot of their own money and time to give it a go, but its that extra promotional effort, over a long time, that will be a big part of the key to success.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:07 am »

One of the shops in the Philcade has some hand made, wood block type, prints and such.  Also don't forget the Philtower and Atlas Life right across the street has some art gallery spaces. I think the Atlas has a pottery/sculpture studio and shop in it.

One of the tricky things for some of these pop-up shops is going to be simply hanging in there while things are slow this winter season.  Another is that they will have to evolve to offer a wider variety of items or perhaps even different items as they get a feel for the market.  Some of them are limited as to what they have.  It's difficult when your just starting out like many of them are with limited funds.   It's going to be tough for a lot of them to simply make rent, let alone make enough profit to reinvest in more, and a wider variety of, merchandise, and certainly not have enough extra to take anything home.  

Will go have a look asap.

Your quote at the bottom of each message is getting cut off before the end.  Can you put the entire thing in a post - I want to show it to some people...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org