A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:52:58 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason Number 324 why Tulsa is (& places like it..  (Read 5869 times)
jtcrissup
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 10:41:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

quote:
Originally posted by pfox

My wife had the highly astute observation, I think, that in such situations in Tulsa, Oklahoma, people don't look at a family walking down the street with bags of groceries and think "look at those folks, aren't they hip and urban?". They look at them and think "they must be poor, otherwise they would have driven to the store."

[Sad]

Next time you guys walk down there let me know ahead of time and my gals and I will plan a walk to Blockbuster.  We do often encounter similar reactions.

We can plan a "Family Walk on Brookside day"; create some critical pedestrian mass (caveat being that you can't drive to Brookside, park, get out and walk).  We'll dress fairly fashionably and make sure that we are carting some sort of baggage.    

I witnessed a pedestrian Tulsa this past weekend during the art fair on Brookside.  It was nice to walk among others on sidewalks that are usually lonely.

Kiah, I've seen you walking over to the downtown Bus Station before and almost pulled in to offer you a ride and then thought against that idea to allow you to be the shining example that you are.

My wife and I recently moved to Tulsa from Austin.  We live in the Swan Lake neighborhood and enjoy walking to Utica Square and Cherry St for shopping, eating, and entertainment.  We usually have our child with us in a stroller, and we too have noted the feeling of pity from those in cars who seem to think "Poor family...too bad they can't afford a car".  Truth is, I am sitting there thinking "Poor yuppie...too bad he has to fill the tank of that huge SUV every few days".

My biggest complaint is the drivers who like to yell or intimidate you as you walk.  I think these are mostly overpriveledged/undereducated teens looking for a quick laugh as they drive daddy's car down 21st, but maybe it is just Tulsa's lack of public knowledge and perception on pedestrians?  Should some sort of campaign be launched to educate people? (ie when you are driving 45 mph down a four lane road with no other vehicles next to you and you approach 2 pedestrians pushing a baby carriage, you should change lanes to give the pedetrian more "space" rather than hang your middle finger out the window and yell a profanity).  This could be incorporated into Driver's Safety courses you take before you get your license and re-inforced at defensive driving courses...perhaps even a public awareness commercial or two, given they are not overly cheesy. Is there a number I can call to report drive by hecklers?

Anyway, I am rambling on now, I just found it interesting that others have had the same experiences in what I consider the most "walkable" parts of Tulsa.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 12:27:15 am »

Wow sorry to hear that kind of stuff happens. Especially in areas that one would think are the best walkable places in the city. There does seem to be an odd negative connotation to walking in this town. I just think more of us need to do it so that it becomes normal.  Perhaps as those areas become even more dense and more people start walking it will start to spread and become "ok" lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cks511
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:29 am »

It's comforting to know it happens to other people.  I walk to work two or three days a week and am always called out as I walk up 13th to Boulder.  I'll get to work and a co-worker will ask if my car's broke down.  Or they'll look at me like I'm crazy for walking.  Go figure.  Now I'm rambling.  LOL
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 07:48:19 am »

To be fair, I have lived in other, more walkable cities.  Teenagers do the same thing there.  Something about getting a new car, that feeling of freedom, creates the need in teenagers to harass adults.

rwarn17588
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 10:42:59 am »

Same here.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:33 am »

My wife and I live just north of 15th & Harvard.  We walk frequently through our neighborhood and Florence Park and the neighborhoods east of Harvard.  It seems like that area is a real "walker" area as we always pass others and we see people stroll in front of our house daily.  I don't really recall any cat-calls or harassment along the side or busy streets, just being hit up by a few homeless people who seem to frequent 11th St.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org