A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:58:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Olympics?  (Read 7364 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:27 pm »

I say "No Way" the cost of it is huge and cities lose big bucks from hosting it- Why would anyone even want the Olympics in their city? It's pure hell for the average working stiff, with closed streets at all times and hours of the day- roadblocks here and their. Ask the residents of Atlanta GA how much fun the Olympics were. I'd be first in line to fight against this idea. This is one event no one really wants in their hometown except the city & state big shots. Good riddance it's not going to happen. That guy who brought it up is bad news.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:04 pm »

For the average working stiff living in a city hosting the Olympics they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. The only thing they get from it is being late for work when the freeway is suddenly shut down with no warning for Olympic traffic travel  as was frequently the case in Atlanta. Just say No to the Olympics. IMO I wish they would just keep the Olympics in    Greece on a  perm. basis where it was founded, it'll be so much simpler  and the  same equipment can be used for the Olympics games over &  over thru the years. Don't believe me, just ask any Atlanta resident how much fun the Olympics are.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:21:16 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:22:27 pm »

Squirrels!  There's another one!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »

Ironic. He's describing the same disruption and inconvenience that the Tulsa Run and other popular runs cause.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:11:41 pm »

Ironic. He's describing the same disruption and inconvenience that the Tulsa Run and other popular runs cause.

Consider the source.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:12:37 pm »

We should cancel all events.  They're just too disruptive to the working stiffs.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 03:25:36 pm »

I am looking forward to the Olympic Games being held in Tulsa. I could probably even get in shape and compete. I have been needing some motivation.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10:31 pm »

Have they added hot dog eating?

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »

Oh, I dunno. There could be some positive aspects to this....

If we could attract the Olympics, perhaps we could get enough money to erect this iconic statue by incorporating only one small change. And it would still make a lovely table lamp that would be a graceful addition to many an upscale bordello.

Yes, I really hate the thing.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »

The olympics bankrupt the cities they are in and the disruptions last longer then the two weeks, it starts the year or so before the games by tearing down buildings to put up the olympic buildings and structures for the games. Then after the games we end up with expensive useless structures that must be torn down. Ask the average guy in Atlanta, GA how much fun the olympics were. Hotels and motels fill up to capacity, prices on everything go up. The citizens of cities that host the games say they feel like 2nd class citizens during the games. We don't need that. Besides the USA hosted enough olympic games as it is, let some other countries have the honors for a change.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:12 pm »

That's nuts- a running event like the Tulsa Run  closes off one or two  streets on a Saturday morning and only for a few hours latter they are open. In the olympics they shut down major freeways at any time or hour of the day or night  so swimmers can get from their hotel to the games on time, while everyone else is late for work. In Atlanta they had cars exit the freeways for olympic traffic. We don't need that hassle. Let's enjoy Tulsa as it is.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:01 pm »

Yes, the Olympics would deplete our precious orange barrel supply.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »

That's nuts- a running event like the Tulsa Run  closes off one or two  streets on a Saturday morning and only for a few hours latter they are open. In the olympics they shut down major freeways at any time or hour of the day or night  so swimmers can get from their hotel to the games on time, while everyone else is late for work. In Atlanta they had cars exit the freeways for olympic traffic. We don't need that hassle. Let's enjoy Tulsa as it is.

Nuts? One or Two? You don't live in an area that is routinely surrounded by runs. I don't complain because they are usually worthy causes. But your description is wrong. Once during a run our neighborhood was totally blocked at key access points. The roadblocks were manned but you had to wait for clusters of runners. Then those who had parked in front of our homes emptied their trash, bottles etc onto the easements before leaving. Its better now but still you should get out of the run more often and visit with the people living near by!

Me? I think we should block off the BA expressway, the inner dispersal loop,244 and I-69 to create a fabulous road race circuit for Indy cars or Formula 1.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:28 pm »

Me? I think we should block off the BA expressway, the inner dispersal loop,244 and I-69 to create a fabulous road race circuit for Indy cars or Formula 1.

The IDL to 169 (not I-69) would be too much distance. 

Watkins Glen is only a few miles around the circuit. There are plenty of good spectator spots.  I went to spectate several Formula 1 Grand Prix races at the Glen in the early 70s. 

Around the IDL or some loops on 169 could be an interesting race.  Due to the limited access, good for highways, the spectator views would be limited.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:45:49 am »

Perhaps Sour is right.  Jenks should hold the Olympics.

Problem solved.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org