A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:11:35 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: downtown bike path  (Read 9915 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:34:42 pm »

I'm no fan of bike lanes many cyclists get hit by cars in those or get beer cans tossed at them, I don't run in streets or on any roadways- I will only run on the trails plus the enviroment is more friendly on the trails, no drivers throwing things at you, no car exaust fumes and no  risk getting hit by a car,  plus on the trails you meet other fellow  runners. The city of Omaha has a huge network of trails totally free of any street crossings it's like a interstate highway system for cyclists & joggers. The city  also has parking at the main trail heads. Funny thing to, when I'm in Omaha with all those trails I find myself using the same darn trail all the time the 6-mile Wehrspann Lake loop trail.. People are creatures of habit I guess. Check out the link and click around.. www.omahatrails.com  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:37:27 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
rdj
City Father

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »

I'm not a cyclist,  I'm a runner and I find myself running the same darn RiverSide trail section all the time. I don't have time to find another trail and also find a place to park my heap. The Trail along Charles Page Blvd is pretty nice it surprised me, but there are street crossings, even at that it's not bad- the problem is there is no place to park to use that trail. The only place I found to park is at the SandSprings May Warehouse drug store where they allow 11 spaces in the east lot for trail users. I have noticed a trail around highway 75 (north bound) SW of downtown, the trail looks nice but I have no clue where it goes to or how long it is and where you can park to use it. The big problem I find is parking to use the trails in Tulsa.

You should try running or biking to the trail.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »

You should try running or biking to the trail.
I don't like running on the streets, and there is no trail that I know of near my home (Memorial & Admiral). Running or cycling on the streets is not safe and you don't offten get a second chance with cars. Cars and people don't mix. I think the bike lanes are no safer than just cycling on the streets.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 01:59:05 pm »

I don't like running on the streets, and there is no trail that I know of near my home (Memorial & Admiral). Running or cycling on the streets is not safe and you don't offten get a second chance with cars. Cars and people don't mix. I think the bike lanes are no safer than just cycling on the streets.

Really?  Have you tried Boeing Park?  Right by where I live?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 02:53:23 pm »

Running or cycling on the streets is not safe....

"Cycling on the street is not safe" is a common misconception, pretty much along the same lines as 'everyone knows the earth is flat.'

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:46 pm »

I'm not a cyclist,  I'm a runner and I find myself running the same darn RiverSide trail section all the time. I don't have time to find another trail and also find a place to park my heap. The Trail along Charles Page Blvd is pretty nice it surprised me, but there are street crossings, even at that it's not bad- the problem is there is no place to park to use that trail. The only place I found to park is at the SandSprings May Warehouse drug store where they allow 11 spaces in the east lot for trail users. I have noticed a trail around highway 75 (north bound) SW of downtown, the trail looks nice but I have no clue where it goes to or how long it is and where you can park to use it. The big problem I find is parking to use the trails in Tulsa.

The Liberty Trail out toward Broken Arrow has three parking lots: Across from the NSU campus on east 71st at the trailhead in Broken Arrow, 129th E. Ave (I think- could be 145th), and on Garnett between 91st & 101st)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

Why not park at new block park or in downtown to run on the trail out to sand springs?

Thank you,
Robert Town
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 06:16:53 pm »

You know, he's right. Lots of parking at the Newblock area. Really easy for you to find. Take 244 from Amiral and Memorial west to the Gilcrease exit. Turn left and travel down to Charles Page and turn left again at the light. Can't miss it.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »

"Cycling on the street is not safe" is a common misconception, pretty much along the same lines as 'everyone knows the earth is flat.'

I've been biting my tongue; thank you for stepping in...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:06 pm »

Actually, even driving a car on the street is not safe. 

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »

Actually, even driving a car on the street is not safe. 

There's a huge gap between perception and reality when we think about personal safety. We lose about 40,000 people in auto crashes each year, and maybe another 8-10 thousand pedestrians are killed (I think that's right, but I could be off a bit.) And the number of cycling deaths are about 800, with a third of them children.  Yet cycling is perceived as dangerous rather than that intrepid act of stepping off the curb into a crosswalk.  We lose 20 thousand per year due to falls around the home, but no one sternly warns of the outrageous hazards posed by stairways, bathtubs, and Fluffy the Wonder Cat, though I'll admit that when my son was little, I gave some consideration to the idea of making him wear a helmet at all times.  We had a reserved parking space at the emergency room.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 07:56:09 pm »

Actually much safer than riding on fire roads, jeep trails, and steep, rocky single track...or so I'm told.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »

There's a huge gap between perception and reality when we think about personal safety. We lose about 40,000 people in auto crashes each year, and maybe another 8-10 thousand pedestrians are killed (I think that's right, but I could be off a bit.) And the number of cycling deaths are about 800, with a third of them children.  Yet cycling is perceived as dangerous rather than that intrepid act of stepping off the curb into a crosswalk.  We lose 20 thousand per year due to falls around the home, but no one sternly warns of the outrageous hazards posed by stairways, bathtubs, and Fluffy the Wonder Cat, though I'll admit that when my son was little, I gave some consideration to the idea of making him wear a helmet at all times.  We had a reserved parking space at the emergency room.

My brother always got hurt on Wednesdays, our family doctor's day off.  We had to take him to the standby doc.

Trying to promote child bicycle safety was the main reason the town I grew up in required bicycle licenses.  I don't have any statistics on whether it helped.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

I have noticed they have updated the trails along 169 near TCC and the Cancer Treatment Centers and they look quite nice.  I suppose that connects onto the trails by the Creek Turnpike. 

I am hoping that once I44 is done they go ahead and connect the nice trails by my house at 41st and Yale all the way down to the river. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org