A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:10:04 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 125038 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »

Then please take it from me, I was an English person.  It's Democratic.  The party and type of government have the same form when being used as an adjective.  Otherwise you risk sounding uneducated.  Not to mention disrespectful.  And I know you don't want to be either. 

So should we call you folks "Democratics?" instead of Democrats?

Lets make it easy. . .we'll be shirts, you guys can be skins.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »

So should we call you folks "Democratics?" instead of Democrats?

Lets make it easy. . .we'll be shirts, you guys can be skins.

Nope, Democrat works perfectly.  Unless you're using it as an attributive adjective.  In which case you could say "we vs us is a Democratic kind of guy."   

It's like saying "erfalf is a Republic kind of guy."  It's incorrect usage.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

The ranking came from iVillage, which is an established webzine for liberal women.  According to the introduction to the series on their website:

The full Oklahoma entry reads:

So:  they took several things into consideration when ranking states; for Oklahoma, while they seem to have used the same basket of metrics, they chose to highlight the lack of access to women's healthcare and abortion services.  Oklahoma is one of the states most interested in restricting access to legal abortions -- hence we get (rightly) nailed for that. 

Access isn’t restricted, women can have it done legally in Oklahoma.  Oklahoma law may well have some different hoops to jump through prior to getting the procedure.  It’s no different than gun restrictions various municipalities and states impose on guns over federal law. 

The fact that there are only a handful of doctors doing the procedure is not a reflection of restrictions or the laws in Oklahoma.  To my knowledge there is no restriction on the number of doctors who may do the procedure and no restriction on the number of abortion clinics which may exist in the state.  That’s like saying the state of Kansas was at fault for Dr. Tiller being the only doctor there doing third trimester abortions.  There simply aren’t that many doctors who are willing to use their education to terminate perfectly viable human life.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »

Access isn’t restricted, women can have it done legally in Oklahoma.  Oklahoma law may well have some different hoops to jump through prior to getting the procedure.  It’s no different than gun restrictions various municipalities and states impose on guns over federal law. 

The fact that there are only a handful of doctors doing the procedure is not a reflection of restrictions or the laws in Oklahoma.  To my knowledge there is no restriction on the number of doctors who may do the procedure and no restriction on the number of abortion clinics which may exist in the state. 

That's a terribly simplistic view. You can't look at the body of law that is intended to reduce access to abortion services and conclude that the legislature isn't attempting to run all the abortion providers out of the state.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2012, 01:13:08 pm »

That's a terribly simplistic view. You can't look at the body of law that is intended to reduce access to abortion services and conclude that the legislature isn't attempting to run all the abortion providers out of the state.

Don’t know what to tell you, it’s the facts sorry it’s too simplistic for your superior intellect.  Wink

They have kept it as it should be and as most of my more liberal friends like to say: “Keep it legal and keep it rare”.  No one is denied access to it who needs it.  You can’t compel doctors to perform this procedure who have an ethical issue with it.  What would we say about it if there were no doctors in the United States who were willing to do it because of professional ethics?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »

That's a terribly simplistic view.

I love it when you respond with that.

You remind me of an engineer I used to work with that spent every day trying to convince people why something couldn't' be done.  He would get so pissed when everyone went over, or around his head to accomplish stuff.  That was his favorite phrase.  He sounded like Erkel too (that didn't help).

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

No one is denied access to it who needs it.  You can’t compel doctors to perform this procedure who have an ethical issue with it.  What would we say about it if there were no doctors in the United States who were willing to do it because of professional ethics?

Yes, there's a great reason to prevent abortions from being performed in facilities that receive Medicaid funds. That's not about restricting access to abortion services at all. Roll Eyes

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:35 pm »

I love it when you respond with that.

Better than using a quote from a Nazi to bolster your argument against reasonable gun control laws.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

Better than using a quote from a Nazi to bolster your argument against reasonable gun control laws.

Why?  It's one of the best, and most current case studies we have.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:22 pm »

Then please take it from me, I was an English person.  It's Democratic.  The party and type of government have the same form when being used as an adjective.  Otherwise you risk sounding uneducated.  Not to mention disrespectful.  And I know you don't want to be either. 

Honestly I don't. Seriously, no joking. English (not literature) was always my weakness. Math & Science were always far more logical where English Comp seemed so random (which I'm told English is an extraordinarily complex language).

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »

Then please take it from me, I was an English person.  

I thought you were 'merican.

Grin

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:29 pm »

Nope, Democrat works perfectly.  Unless you're using it as an attributive adjective.  In which case you could say "we vs us is a Democratic kind of guy."   

It's like saying "erfalf is a Republic kind of guy."  It's incorrect usage.

I tried that in a post a while back, referring to someone as belonging to the Republic party and no one noticed. This is their world wevsus, we just provide them contrast.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2012, 03:14:27 pm »

Limbaugh’s “Rush Babes for America” Aims To Prove He Doesn’t Degrade Women

Lookin' good.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/2012/05/09/rush_limbaugh_s_rush_babes_for_america_aims_to_prove_he_doesn_t_treat_women_poorly.html

Rush Limbaugh is fighting accusations by the National Organization for Women that he has been degrading the opposite sex. How? By starting his own group: “Rush Babes for America.”

With a logo featuring a female silhouette similar to those seen on 18-wheeler mud flaps, Limbaugh’s National Organization for Rush Babes aims to counter NOW’s “Enough Rush” campaign, which is putting pressure on advertisers to stop supporting the political shock jock’s conservative radio talk show.

Limbaugh drew the ire of women’s groups earlier this year for calling Georgetown student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and “prostitute” because of her health insurance birth control advocacy. A CEO at radio company Cumulus admitted this week that boycotts of Limbaugh’s show over his comments had cost millions in canceled advertising.

Limbaugh has blamed “Femi-Nazis” for trying to tell women how to think. “The National Organization of Women is not a female organization,” said the talk show host. Maybe Rush thinks you have to have the word “babes” in your name for it to count.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »

Apologies if I missed this earlier, but does this lady have a valid complaint about a doctor refusing to provide emergency contraception to a rape victim based on personal bias?

http://www.news9.com/category/116601/video-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7337429

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2012, 11:47:57 pm »

Apologies if I missed this earlier, but does this lady have a valid complaint about a doctor refusing to provide emergency contraception to a rape victim based on personal bias?

http://www.news9.com/category/116601/video-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7337429

There was more to the complaint than just refusal to prescribe emergency contraception, such as the doctor not performing any examination or other medical treatment. It did seem that the victim's mother was assuming that EC was part of the rape treatment. Still, in Oklahoma, there is this:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=460468

Look at the subsequent sections under this statute to see what is protected. There may also be standards of care issues relating to this doctor and the sort of treatment she is required to give (such as prescribing EC). With that said, does this lady have a "valid complaint"? She sure does, call her legislator. Or, she can get a BA/BS degree, get accepted and finish medical school, get accepted and finish a residency, and work as a physician. That way she will not have to deal with the conscience of a medical professional I guess.

I think we have discussed in TNF whether a health care professional should be forced to perform procedures or otherwise act in contravention to their religious beliefs. If nothing else, I'm sure my position is known on that issue.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org