A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:26:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 125016 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:36 pm »

Libel and slander? Are you being serious? Whether you like Rush or not, today's line of what constitutes acceptable discourse is so damned blurry accusing one of such is almost frivolous.  Did you not see the video I posted of those three "men" ripping on women? Maher calling Palin a dumb "twat", and referencing Clinton's "c%nt"? Get some perspective.

Still, I do like to read lay persons understanding as to what sort of speech is acceptable and what amounts to actionable defamation. The slippery slope becomes readily apparent in very short order.

That's why I avoid the lame "FIRE" in a crowded theater cliche'. Free speech has gotten so twisted as to what is acceptable and what is not, that is why I don't listen to any of the talking heads, left/right/moderate/progressive et al, because they all speeak to the mouth breathing, Jersey Shore, Real Wives, Repo Wars etc that don't venture outside of their comfort zones. My ex-father in law is a big follower, altough he changes who he listens to until he finds one that is in line with his at the moment, and he and I had many "discussions" about his flavor of the month talking head. I think a lot of them go way out of line, and it has given us the current state of not being able to have civil conversations, or debates.

But back to the original point, who trumps who in the battle that I proposed. And no closing argument style tactics.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2012, 12:17:11 am »

But back to the original point, who trumps who in the battle that I proposed. And no closing argument style tactics.

This is a nonsensical hypothetical. I am speaking at a public forum on what, say, no more stop lights on Memorial between 101st & 111th and you stand up and call be a serial child assaulter or a murderer? This is your hypo, put yourself if a situation where you would become a target for a Rush tactic and deal with it.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:57 am »

You know, for years (maybe 40+) contraception has been provided by insurance, and if an employer who provides insurance to it's employees for whatever reason feels that contraception is not within their beliefs, can choose that it is not provided for under the plan they provide. Much the way that lasic eye surgery, and certain cosmetic surgeries, including sexual reassignment surgeries are "elective surgeries" and are not covered by the insurance as assigned by the employer or the insurance provider. Granted there have been reassignment surgies that hve been approved, based on other information including psychological evaluations to support the need, telling insurance companies that they have to provide treatment and proceedures for what ever the person wants leads to costs and potential risks that the insureance company doesn't want, or can't potentially afford in the case of malpractice. We all know the reported costs of malpractice by providers and doctors, so I won't go into that. We all want reasonable helth, dental, and vision coverage. It would be nice for vision coverage to cover the various forms of surgical vision correction as an improvement in life instead of a cosmetic improvement, just as covering more of dental procedurs would be considered the same. I don't know what the answer is, but there should be a medium between our health and what providers cover, and what you have to have is doctors that can't profit because it's not covered by insureance, and insureance companies covering more. And even then you will have people milking the system.
dbacks fan
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2012, 12:30:05 am »

This is a nonsensical hypothetical. I am speaking at a public forum on what, say, no more stop lights on Memorial between 101st & 111th and you stand up and call be a serial child assaulter or a murderer? This is your hypo, put yourself if a situation where you would become a target for a Rush tactic and deal with it.

That's what I was proposing. I could buy airtime on KRMG, and by agreement release them of any liabilty for my commentary, and as long as I don't violate FCC rules, state a commentary about you, and say what I want.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:55 am »

That's what I was proposing. I could buy airtime on KRMG, and by agreement release them of any liabilty for my commentary, and as long as I don't violate FCC rules, state a commentary about you, and say what I want.

You will get sued. Now, how is that relevant to what we are talking about here? How is testifying before Congress on a controversial subject and a national media figure weighing in even remotely comparable to you and I speaking on a local radio show? I am now kicking myself for getting roped into this distraction.

dbacks fan
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48:19 am »

You will get sued. Now, how is that relevant to what we are talking about here? How is testifying before Congress on a controversial subject and a national media figure weighing in even remotely comparable to you and I speaking on a local radio show? I am now kicking myself for getting roped into this distraction.

She gave testimony in a public forum (a congresional hearing) and her testimony as a matter of public record, were taken and commented on by Rush (in a public forum on his show over public airways) as his interrpritation as to her charachter, based on his opinion of her comments, and he labeled her as a slut and whore to a national audience of people who did not know her. Is that not slander?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10:53 am »

She gave testimony in a public forum (a congresional hearing) and her testimony as a matter of public record, were taken and commented on by Rush (in a public forum on his show over public airways) as his interrpritation as to her charachter, based on his opinion of her comments, and he labeled her as a slut and whore to a national audience of people who did not know her. Is that not slander?

Allah has an opinion which I have no criticism other than it is light on the law.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/05/steny-hoyer-to-sandra-fluke-you-should-probably-sue-rush-you-know/comment-page-1/#comments

My thought would be "bring it". Discovery would be a real b!tch for her.

dbacks fan
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:55 am »

Allah has an opinion which I have no criticism other than it is light on the law.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/05/steny-hoyer-to-sandra-fluke-you-should-probably-sue-rush-you-know/comment-page-1/#comments

My thought would be "bring it". Discovery would be a real b!tch for her.

As usual, nice deflection to a somewhat relative comment about the discussion by a lowlife, snake in the grass whore that slept with a judge to get his client off lawyer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:31:26 am by dbacks fan » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:18 am »

Still, I do like to read lay persons understanding as to what sort of speech is acceptable and what amounts to actionable defamation. The slippery slope becomes readily apparent in very short order.

So, as a, "lay person" do I get  a kiss and a reach around from you?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:42 am »

Won't find many in this forum, er your side, that won't agree. So what. Fact is, this 23 y/o (I'm sorry 30 y/o) political novice (nope, well traveled activist--ever wondered why SHE got asked by a former house speaker to speak?) exercised her free speech and others in this country are now exercising theirs. This includes Rush, who is now dealing with the fall out of his speech just like "she who gets plugged often".

Here's a link to a story covering the other side of the story.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/sandra-fluke-a-fake-victim-of-georgetowns-policy-on-contraceptives/

And how did Joe the Plumber get brought in on this? Wasn't he randomly asked a question by Obama at his campaign rally? Oh this is just like Fluke reading prepared testimony to the House.  Roll Eyes

That Blaze post is such glorious bullshit.  Full of accusatory flim flam that in the end results in nothing.  Fluke to my knowledge never misrepresented her age.  It was misreported by the media.  She never claimed to be a personal victim of Georgetown's contraceptive policies (even though as a woman, she would have been); she was going to congress to share the stories of others.  She is in fact a Georgetown law grad student and has made the intersection of health policy and gender study her specialty.  She's distinguished herself already in that field . . . which is why she was asked to speak to Congress about the intersection of health policy and gender.  Why you're surprised that she might also address the policy ramifications of gender reassignment surgery and its lack of coverage among private insurance policies in a completely separate forum is beyond me.  This is what this woman does, and reportedly does it very well. 

So, what in the above makes her a slut and a whore?  What makes Limbaugh's rants acceptable? 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 05:41:31 am »

That Blaze post is such glorious bullshit.  Full of accusatory flim flam that in the end results in nothing.  Fluke to my knowledge never misrepresented her age.  It was misreported by the media.  She never claimed to be a personal victim of Georgetown's contraceptive policies (even though as a woman, she would have been); she was going to congress to share the stories of others.  She is in fact a Georgetown law grad student and has made the intersection of health policy and gender study her specialty.  She's distinguished herself already in that field . . . which is why she was asked to speak to Congress about the intersection of health policy and gender.  Why you're surprised that she might also address the policy ramifications of gender reassignment surgery and its lack of coverage among private insurance policies in a completely separate forum is beyond me.  This is what this woman does, and reportedly does it very well.  

So, what in the above makes her a slut and a whore?  What makes Limbaugh's rants acceptable?  

Because he's RushBo?

Why should anyone expect anything different of RushLimboContin?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:19 am »

What makes Limbaugh's rants acceptable? 

Rage? A shared sense of persecution by the "feminazis"?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2012, 08:10:52 am »

Where or where were these benefiters of doubt when Joe the Plumber came onto the scene? I will look back to his thread in the future next time some newbie on the right surfaces and opines on a controversial subject.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:36 am »

So, as a, "lay person" do I get  a kiss and a reach around from you?
Only if your goal is to be a self righteous d!ck wise guy.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:26 am »

So, what in the above makes her a slut and a whore?  What makes Limbaugh's rants acceptable? 

Doesn't prove she is or isn't.  Rush's rants are unacceptable due to the fact he is on the far right.  It has nothing to do with truth or fiction.  I personally believe the rants were uncalled for regardless of whether she is or isn't.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org