A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:01:15 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: According to Ed Kelley of the Daily Oklahoman,  (Read 7613 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 09:43:38 am »

It’s crap like this that’s why the Columbia Journalism Review has called the Oklahoman the worst newspaper in the United States.
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

It’s crap like this that’s why the Columbia Journalism Review has called the Oklahoman the worst newspaper in the United States.

I wouldn't go that far...personally I feel the tulsa world is a pile of garbage.  I read the journal everyday and get most of my news from the internet...The problem with the oklahoman is they're always taking jabs at tulsa and OSU.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:16 pm »

It's a pretty out-of-date moniker, but it's true.  The Columbia Journalism Review came down really hard on the paper back in 1999 for its blatant bias towards all things Gaylord.  Pretty entertaining read:

http://backissues.cjrarchives.org/year/99/1/worst.asp

EDIT
The article states,

quote:
Is there hope for change at the Oklahoman? Being a fat, incurious monopoly has bred both a management and newsroom culture that ridicules critics and rewards mediocrity. There are, however, some talented journalists at the Oklahoman, not the least of whom is Ed Kelley. Every critic I interviewed said Kelley was capable of turning the Oklahoman into a respectable newspaper. "I have nothing but the highest respect for Ed," says former Oklahoman staffer Rieger. "I think he honestly wants to make a great paper."  

Pretty funny.  I still think he's a jerk after this.  I just wonder, when was the last time this guy even visited Tulsa?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:15:55 pm by Floyd » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

lol, that article is scathing!

quote:
nder Ed Gaylord's watchful eye the Oklahoman has effectively become a newspaper in reverse -- a virulent, compromised beast that sucks intelligence from its readers and replaces it with intolerance, triviality, and false scandal. So inured to "The Daily Disappointment" are many Oklahomans that they simply ignore it, having long ago abandoned hope that the newspaper could ever make them proud.

ouch.  I can't comment on the merits, but ouch.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 02:22:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

Pretty funny.  I still think he's a jerk after this.  I just wonder, when was the last time this guy even visited Tulsa?

If the last time he visited was when he bought that suit, I would say about 1978.[Wink]
JLCinOKC
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 04:13:42 pm »

Think what you will about Ed Kelley, but I feel that he's the best thing to happen to The Oklahoman to date.  Compared to a Gaylord at the editor's desk he is a breath of fresh air.  I hadn't really noticed the changes going on at The Oklahoman until Mr. Kelley made this bit regarding Sally Kern.  I was absolutely floored that the same paper which 10 years ago had a "Prayer of the Day" on the front cover would take such a liberal stance in a public forum on such a hot-button topic.  I am now a true fan of Ed Kelley.

http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1488623314

I like his eyewear but I agree on the suits.  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org