A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:21:17 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Psychosis  (Read 88983 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:13 pm »

What was the basis of the purge? 
The particular list I'm citing was supposed to be a list of convicted felons. Unfortunately, most of the people on the list were not felons. Many people attempted to correct the error but could not.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2011, 07:59:44 am »

Ah yes, looking at Gore today and imagining what the world would be like. . .

I somehow feel rescued, but then Bush delivered President Obama into our laps!

And I somehow feel you're a victim of the conservative activist media machine.... Bush was the WORST president of my lifetime.... Al Gore would have been a much better president than Bush... yet the conservative media meme that Al Gore would have been a disaster as President has been drilled into the heads of the electorate... the ONLY reason dubya got re-elected was 9/11.

If you want to compare this traitorous birth certificate nonsense to anything, compare it to the "truthers" who think 9/11 was an inside job..... not to Bush v. Gore, which was a stain on our democracy....

http://articles.cnn.com/2001-03-11/politics/palmbeach.recount_1_gore-buchanan-gore-and-reform-party-butterfly-ballot?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS

This birther BS was BOGUS FROM DAY ONE...... show us your papers?.... your papers, please..... we're sorry, but your legal certificate of live birth from Hawaii isn't good enough for us... we need a long form.... in triplicate please.... oooh look, it's a smudge on the original........are you kidding?... really?....  yet you, like far too many smug rightists, accuse the prez of playing political games on an issue that the Republicans and their media minions should have repudiated and never allowed as debate.... go figure.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRq6Y4NmB6U[/youtube]

Imagine what Fox News and KRMG had argued over the past decade if the Supreme Court voted 5-4 against a Florida recount and Al Gore's brother had been governor of that state and called the election for him..... oh, I forgot... putting yourself in someone else's shoes has never been a strength of the pseudo-libertarian wing of the Republican party... typical.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:09:55 am by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2011, 08:07:39 am »

Red,
Do you verify your voting status??  How would one know to do that?  And why would one feel the need if you had voted for some time?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:19 am »

The Dims are still pissed because they spent so much money to rig win Florida and it didn't turn out in their favor.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:18 am »

The Dims are still pissed because they spent so much money to rig win Florida and it didn't turn out in their favor.

... and Republicans live in an alternate universe in which the wealthy are constantly victimized by powerful union members, minimum wage workers, and welfare queens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_inequality_in_the_United_States

Just about every socio-economic indicator shows that the distribution of income in the United States is becoming increasingly unequal. In 2010, the top 20% of Americans earned 49.4% of the nation’s income, compared with the 3.4% earned by the roughly 15% of the population living below the poverty line. This earnings ratio of 14.5 to 1 was an increase from the 13.6 to 1 ratio in 2008 and a significant rise from the historic low of 7.69 to 1 in 1968.[18] Looking back even further to 1915, an era in which the Rockefellers and Carnegies dominated American industry, the richest 1% of Americans earned roughly 18% of all income. Today, the top 1% account for 24% of all income.[19]

This trend of increasing inequality was not always the norm; the 1930s and 1940s actually saw a decrease in inequality, followed by relative stability in the distribution in the 1950s and 1960s. Beginning in the 1970s, though, income inequality sharply increased. Nobel laureate Paul Krugman refers to the period after 1979 as the “Great Divergence” for the rapid increase in income inequality that occurred.[19]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:17:49 am by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:16 am »

... and Republicans live in an alternate universe in which the wealthy are constantly victimized by powerful union members, minimum wage workers, and welfare queens...

Why do people care so much about how the rich are making more? What do you want, to take their money and give it to you?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2011, 09:07:26 am »

Red,
Do you verify your voting status??  How would one know to do that?  And why would one feel the need if you had voted for some time?

I would probably start here:
TULSA COUNTY
VOTER REGISTRATION AGENCIES
(City of Tulsa unless shown otherwise)
Agency Address Phone # Days/Hours
Tulsa County Election Board 555 North Denver 596-5787 M-F 8:00-5:00

If one votes on a regular basis and stays out of trouble, there is probably not a reason to check.  I will agree with Nathan that bogus felony charges are probably not a reason to verify your voter registration status.  One source I checked indicated 70 some thousand, not hundreds of thousands were in that situation. Still unacceptable though.

A change of address can affect your registration.  Not voting for a long time will take you off the rolls in OK.  I believe one vote every 4 years (as in Presidential elections) is sufficient to keep you on the rolls.  I had my parents check my registration when I was in the Navy when it came time to vote against Jimmy Carter since I hadn’t been around to vote in local elections for some time.  Since I had voted in 1972, that was sufficient to keep me current.  The point is that I wasn’t sure so I checked.  And, I checked well before the election.  I voted by absentee ballot that year.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2011, 09:20:07 am »

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2011, 09:25:07 am »

And I somehow feel you're a victim of the conservative activist media machine.... Bush was the WORST president of my lifetime.... Al Gore would have been a much better president than Bush...

You are free to believe all three.  I disagree with Bush being the worst in my lifetime.  I don't think AlGore would have been a good President but I do agree things would have been different.  I believe you are a victim of the Liberal Agenda and MSM.

I think LBJ was the worst President in my lifetime.  Over 40,000 killed in 'Nam after LBJ suceeded in painting Goldwater as a warmonger for the election.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2011, 09:29:52 am »

Why do people care so much about how the rich are making more?

You are forgetting they believe there is a fixed amount of wealth.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:38 am »

You are forgetting they believe there is a fixed amount of wealth.

+1

. . .and for some reason they don't have any of it, so it must be because the rich folk aren't sharing.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2011, 11:46:52 am »

Red,
LBJ was only there until 1968, escalating it for three of those 66-68.  Then Tricky carried it on for the next 7 years!  And LBJ inherited it from Kennedy, who got it from Eisenhour, who got it from France....right on down the line... it was all about the money!

And it was closer to 55,000 killed.

Speaking of which (what a wonderful seque!) - the VietNam Memorial traveling wall is coming to Tulsa the week of Sept 11 for a week long visit.  Sponsored and arrangements made by the Union JrROTC.  Put it on your calendar today!  Don't forget!  I will be reminding from time to time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2011, 11:56:18 am »

Red,
LBJ was only there until 1968, escalating it for three of those 66-68.  Then Tricky carried it on for the next 7 years!  And LBJ inherited it from Kennedy, who got it from Eisenhour, who got it from France....right on down the line... it was all about the money!

And it was closer to 55,000 killed,

Speaking of which (what a wonderful seque!) - the VietNam Memorial traveling wall is coming to Tulsa the week of Sept 11 for a week long visit.  Sponsored and arrangements made by the Union JrROTC.  Put it on your calendar today!  Don't forget!  I will be reminding from time to time.

All totaled, about 60,000 killed or missing, over 155,000 wounded and many more scarred for life.

Out of those 60,000 killed or missing over 35,000 were confirmed killed from 1965 through 1968.  More than 1/2 total lives lost in the entire conflict in those FIVE years LBJ oversaw the war.  As you recall, he became POTUS on Nov. 22, 1963 and would have left office in Jan. 1969.  From 1945 through 1964 we had only lost 401 servicemen in Vietnam.

I like how Dims try to pin Vietnam on Nixon.  He basically walked into the same situation President Obama did.  How are we coming again in getting those troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan on his promised time-line?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:01:52 pm by Conan71 » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

Iraq was exactly as promised.

Afghan?  Well, who knows, but since it has escalated dramatically (supported more than wholeheartedly by Boner and company) I can't see whether we will meet the publicized date of 2014.  Since nobody from either side is actually gonna get Bin Laden, I say start withdrawing today.  (And no, I would not recommend invading Saudi just to get Osama.  Too much complication.)

Whether today or 2014, the end result will be the same.

Nixon's situation was dramatically different in at least one area - he wanted to be there and try to "win".  Because he was just another ignorant idiot.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »

LBJ was only there until 1968, escalating it for three of those 66-68.  Then Tricky carried it on for the next 7 years!  And LBJ inherited it from Kennedy, who got it from Eisenhour, who got it from France....right on down the line... it was all about the money!

Eisenhower, please learn how to spell Eisenhower.

We were pulling out by spring '73. 1973-1968= 5.  Good enough for me to not have to go to 'Nam.  I was just graduating from Tron school.

Yes, it started with the leftovers from the French but LBJ did the big escalation after winning the '64 election by convincing the voters that Goldwater was a war monger that only wanted to nuke Viet Nam.  There was also a little thing about the Gulf of Tonkin or something like that.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org