A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:42:07 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 Day Work Week  (Read 4371 times)
cks511
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:16 pm »

Any of you out there currently working a 4 day work week or getting ready to?  Would like to know pros and cons.  My superiors are getting ready to seriously look it.  Would like a little input.  Thanks as usual.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:34:04 pm »

We just implemented a modified 4-day work week. You can choose to work a 4-day week, but you must be available by phone in case an emergency meeting is called.

We have a couple people who commute (one from Tahlequah and another from B-ville) who are taking advantage of the program. They both are very pleased. When we move downtown, I will probably also participate since I'll be biking downtown.

---Robert
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:43:21 pm »

A four day work week would be double what I do now. I would be opposed, but it sounds like a lot of work.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cks511
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:11:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

A four day work week would be double what I do now. I would be opposed, but it sounds like a lot of work.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr......
safetyguy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:20:54 pm »

Aren't most places that are going to the 4 day work week working 4-10 hr days? What's 2 more hours a day to not have to work 1 day a week??

What about still working 5 days a week, but one of the days working from home (if possible)?
cks511
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:24:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

What about still working 5 days a week, but one of the days working from home (if possible)?

very possible, I've telecommuted when I lived in Indianapolis and it's really nice when you're arse deep in snow to stay put at home.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:24 pm »

I was able to do this when I worked at John Deere.  I was a huge fan.

If you think about it, you spend about 2 hours a day getting ready for or traveling to/from work.  Essentially that time is overhead on your work day.  By working longer but fewer shifts you cut down on your overhead.

PLUS, 3 day weekends rule.  Not only can you actually get things done (TAG Agencies are amazingly empty at 10am, as are doctors, stores, utility companies, etc. as well as standard household chores), but it allowed me more travel.  As it stands, by weekends are full of mowing, cleaning and trying to catch up and then activities crammed in where I can.  Not all that relaxing most weekends.

The downfall is on days when you don't want to work for whatever reason.  Lack of motivation. Not feeling well.  Something going on, etc.  Also, you need to be able to accommodate it in your personal life.  If your spouse works a 9-5 you will not see as much of them.  Same with your kids (not too mention their daycare).

Also, on a rare occasion I'd get roped into working a Friday.  For me it didn't happen often, but I can envision a scenario where it happens not-uncommonly (or constantly bothered at home).  In which case you very well may end up working MORE.

But in general, big fan.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:53:41 pm »

My company agreed to this in contract negotiations some years ago.  The primary benefit at the time went to commuters in NYC, LA, and San Francisco because of distance and tolls.  

We have some employees on a 4/10 schedule and others remaining on 5/8.  Some of the 4/10 guys have Mondays off.  Others have Fridays.  One thing they've said is that working 10 hours makes it difficult to get much done in the evenings, so some chores have to be put off until that 'extra' weekend day.  

I've stayed with a 5/8 schedule, mainly because it's difficult for me to do detail work for more than a few hours at a time.  Some work requires soldering with binocular magnifiers or under a stereo microscope, and 10 hour days are just too grueling to contemplate.

To each his own.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
naenae42day
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:15:29 pm »

I work for an oil/gas company, and they just allowed us 1/2 days for the summer.  Most energy companies have for years worked either 1/2 or not at all on fridays.  At our next corporate meeting, I was going to ask about the 4 -10's.  
I have heard rumors of some employers offering a stipend to those who commute a certain distance.  I would even be will to do the 4-10's if there was a mileage requirement.  Say only those who are 20+ miles  out.  If they didn't want to close the office on Fridays...how about the option of Mon-Tues, off Wed, Thurs-Fri.  This would be for those who want it.
Obviously, I am for it..I commute 20+ now.  Owasso is toying with the idea of a twice a day city bus, but I hate the idea of a 60 minute bus ride(their estimate)...even if it would be cheaper than commuting.
tnt091605
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:09:13 am »

I think this is not only a great deal for a cash gain but also a quality of life issue.  I have worked 4-10's and it makes life so much easier.  Also for companies that cannot have the office closed on Fridays have half the force off on Fri-Sun and half on Sat-Mon.  That also works well.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:16:59 am »

I am all for 4 10's, 3 7's, or 2 20's. I know some people working 9 9's but that just seams too complicated.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 07:23:19 am »

I want to work every other hour during daylight seven days a week. It would equal about the same but give me plenty of breaks.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:45 am »

We occasionally worked 4/10s to get a long weekend where I previously worked. I had a 1 hr commute each way so it made for some long days. I usually slept-in on Friday to make up for the long days.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

We occasionally worked 4/10s to get a long weekend where I previously worked. I had a 1 hr commute each way so it made for some long days. I usually slept-in on Friday to make up for the long days.

If I had a 4hour commute I would work 4x10's all the time because the two hours plus gas you don't spend commuting on Friday would make it worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org