A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:10:54 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50% OFF COX cable services!!!  (Read 27280 times)
tim huntzinger
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:05:05 am »

UPDATE: AT&T's website's U-verse eligibility checker is now working.  Click on 'ADVANCED TV' and foller the links.  The product should now be available at the Highland Plaza store (5505 E 41st).  Also, Cox would price-match the new service costs but not offer a flat 50% off.  I did notice that at&t is offering up to $300 incentives for new activations online, sooooo . . .

ORIG POST: That is the offer that Oklahoma Cityians were reportedly given as soon as they called to cancel their services for a different cable/internet service provider.  Soon, very soon, Tulsans will have an opportunity to choose a television/internet provider that offers a superior service at about the same cost as they are being charged by Cox.

Charges of false advertising (10MPS, reaaaally?), an inferior network (cable is NOT the same as fiber-optic-to-premise), and inferior products aside, Cox's current business practice should not be allowed.

At the very least, even if one is not in 'the area' for the new service, Tulsans should snag the 50% off Cox.  I would call up and see if you are under contract and if there are any special discounts available to you.  Then see what happens when you try to cancel the service!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:17:59 pm by tim huntzinger » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:16 am »

So we should all switch the the company that allows you to record or watch 1 HD program at a time? That is a deal breaker for me. That and the 9MB (sustained) internet download speed I have at home.

Reviews for u-verse aren't great and I would switch to two tin-cans and a string before having to deal with SBC/AT&T's (lack of) DSL support.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/10/atandts-u-verse-arrives-in-oklahoma-city-challenges-cox/

(although I might threaten if I can get a discount)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:42:37 am by sgrizzle » Logged
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:58:04 am »

Yeah...well consider yourself lucky you have either option at all.

I'm stuck with Bixby Telephone or one of the satellite providers for my television/internet.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:05:49 am »

We have the whole COX bundle and we're very happy with it.  Very fast, good phone service (that even works when the power is out).  And. . . my digital tuner in my TV gets all of the HD digital channels even though we don't have the digital service (my tuner will pick up channels under 1, like .243, .247, side channels like 8.1 and such).  It's a Sony if you're interested.

We didn't get the stork lawn ornament that says "Bundle of Joy" though.  I may have a case there!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:08:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

We have the whole COX bundle and we're very happy with it.  Very fast, good phone service (that even works when the power is out).  And. . . my digital tuner in my TV gets all of the HD digital channels even though we don't have the digital service (my tuner will pick up channels under 1, like .243, .247, side channels like 8.1 and such).  It's a Sony if you're interested.

We didn't get the stork lawn ornament that says "Bundle of Joy" though.  I may have a case there!

If you have a QAM tuner, you will pick up the HD Channels without a cable box.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:11:34 am »

. . . from one that is overcharging you 100% Sure! Hey, at least call and give 'em a scare.

U-verse offers 4 video feeds per receiver and 40HD channels, which means four sets can access different content at the same time (or, 4 DVR streams).  Plus, it is already rated at 1080 p HD which is crazy clarity.  10,000 movies on demand. Mapquest maps on yer tv screen via yellowopages.com. DVR controls from your wireless phone. The TVOIP is an entirely different deal than DSL.  Plus, no contracts!

I talk to people all the time who are promised a certain speed by cable but in reality are getting far less.  One fellah yesterday even checked his 'Cox 10MPS' and was pulling 1.5! You are lucky to have a consistent speed with Cox!

The difference between what Cox offers and what U-verse offers is the difference between a bag phone and an iPhone.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:14:23 am by tim huntzinger » Logged
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:22 am »

I'm switching to Uverse as soon as it's available. I want more sports channels than Cox can offer. I also want faster upload speeds so my slingbox doesn't look so horrible. I'll get more and pay less. I can deal with the one HD stream at a time, assuming it'll get fixed in the not too distant future.

I pray that Uverse is coming downtown.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger
I talk to people all the time who are promised a certain speed by cable but in reality are getting far less.  One fellah yesterday even checked his 'Cox 10MPS' and was pulling 1.5! You are lucky to have a consistent speed with Cox!

What they advertise is a theoretical maximum of the technology they use -- not what any customer will ever get.  It's a little white lie that separates them from false advertising claims.

Think of cable modem service as you would running water to your house.  If you have a fat pipe in the neighborhood any you're the only one on it you get all the capacity.  When the neighbors hook up and start irrigating and flushing, your pressure dips and sways and at times you will only have a trickle.
If the provider decides you are using too much, you get "capped" which further limits how much capacity you have access to.

I cant say good or bad about U-Verse, but I think competition benefits the consumer and it's to your advantage that it's available.

As for Cox VOIP, most of my neighbors who got it regretted it during the ice storm because Cox cant sustain the prolonged power failures that we seem to be getting with increasing regularity in Tulsa.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
tim huntzinger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:06 am »

U-verse is going to change the entire playing field.  Notice how Cox has ramped up their self-promotions? Notice how they make you wait on their discounted service until you say 'buh-bye'?

Check for U-verse availability here. Word is 80,000 Tulsans will initially be in the coverage area.

So is Cox charging twice as much for its service or is it taking a hit on the service fees just to rope customers into another contract?
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:17:39 am »

"10mbps.. reallly?Huh"

Yes, really. If you have a cable line that is more corroded than the titanic then that's your fault. I pull retarded fast numbers all day long, I get more than my rated 12mbit (13mbit) and burst up to 25mbit depending on the site and time of day.

I look forward to the upgraded 15mbit/1.5mbit premier tier.. and enjoy recording 2 shows at once. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:10:26 pm by EricP » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:21:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

If you have a QAM tuner, you will pick up the HD Channels without a cable box.

As long as those stations are broadcasting 'clear QAM'.  Some have the encryption bit set, and either need the cable box to authorize, or a cable card provided by the cable company to those TVs that can use it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

"10mbps.. reallly?Huh"

Yes, really. If you have a cable line that is more corroded than the titanic then that's your fault. I pull retarded fast numbers all day long, I get more than my rated 12mbit (13mbit) and burst up to 25mbit depending on the site and time of day.

I look forward to the upgraded 15mbit/1.5mbit premier tier!

Same here. I contacted Cox, and they replaced my line, which had been damaged during the ice storm. Ever since, I've met or exceeded my tier speed.

---Robert
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:26:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

I'm switching to Uverse as soon as it's available. I want more sports channels than Cox can offer. I also want faster upload speeds so my slingbox doesn't look so horrible. I'll get more and pay less. I can deal with the one HD stream at a time, assuming it'll get fixed in the not too distant future.

I pray that Uverse is coming downtown.

Yeah, it only took SBC about 8 years to come up with this...I'll never use SBC ever again since they screwed up my final bill so bad I've been going round and round with different collection agencies saying I owe them 30 bucks, when I repeatedly have sent them proof of payment upon cancellation.  Cox blows SBC out of the water, and I bet UVerse won't be here for a year; possibly more.  [V]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
tim huntzinger
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:29:13 am »

It should be going live on July 7. U-verse has more features than cable and it has only been around for two years, so good things are worth waiting for!

No activation fees. No contracts. No equipment costs.  Worse case scenario is SBC-cum-at&t gets one more whack at screwing up the bill!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:43:00 am by tim huntzinger » Logged
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 11:12:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

U-verse is going to change the entire playing field.  Notice how Cox has ramped up their self-promotions? Notice how they make you wait on their discounted service until you say 'buh-bye'?

Check for U-verse availability here. Word is 80,000 Tulsans will initially be in the coverage area.

So is Cox charging twice as much for its service or is it taking a hit on the service fees just to rope customers into another contract?

That Uverse availability finder shows no service available at my address. Does it show service available at yours or other Tulsa addresses? Or is it too early?

I don't have a good feeling about Uverse downtown. Looking at the map on uverse users they typically don't serve downtown, at least at first. The OKC map shows service only in the outer reaches of the sprawl.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org