A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:54:36 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of the New Ballpark Design part2  (Read 9568 times)
Rico
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:57 pm »

Well, we all get another chance to critique a new flavor...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090206_298_0_Theini3800

Officials rethink downtown ballpark design

By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
Published: 2/6/2009  6:59 PM
Last Modified: 2/6/2009  6:59 PM

The initial artist concept of the downtown ballpark exterior has been thrown out and a new design plan is in the works which officials think will be a home run.

“This will be unique to anything around,” said Steve Boyd, of HOK Sport during a brainstorming session on the ballpark design at the Tulsa Stadium Trust meeting Friday.

Mayor Kathy Taylor, also a trust member, said it is important for ONEOK Field to have a “warm inviting feeling.”

“This is a family venue for events other than baseball. It should be complimentary to the area and inviting to visitors,” Taylor said.

The multipurpose stadium will be home to the city’s Double A baseball team, the Tulsa Drillers. During off season it will host a variety of events.

A conceptual rendering of the stadium released late last year evoked the Prairie School architectural style that was made famous by Frank Lloyd Wright featuring flat roofs, broad overhanging eaves and horizontal lines. It had elements of stone, structural steel and glass.

It wasn’t clear Friday whether the exact style will remain, but Boyd said the structure will be contemporary. The exterior materials, however, will change to brick and Zink with glass used at the team store, ticketing areas, and the suites in the interior of the stadium.

Boyd said the final design will capture Tulsa’s Art Deco details, the color forms of Oklahoma’s terrain and the city’s modern movement.

The stadium site is in the historic Greenwood District, nestled against Interstate 244, bounded
by Elgin Avenue and Archer Street, and abutting the backside of the businesses along Greenwood Avenue.

Greenwood sits between Brady and Blue Dome entertainment areas all of which are filled with historic brick buildings, but yet only a few blocks away sits the 15-story high-tech, glass-encased City Hall building.

The firm is expected to submit a final design within 30 days. Trust Chairman Stan Lybarger said there is only a 30 to 45 day flex period to complete the design without interrupting the construction schedule.

The trust did view the final concourse design depicting the location of the five public entry areas, rest rooms, concessions, ticket booths, various seating areas and other spaces in relation to the field.

The trust also approved receipt of the $4.1 million ONEOK naming rights which is part of the total $5 million the company is donating to the project.

The trust now has received $10.3 million, or a third of the $30 million in private donations pledged to the $60 million project.

Lybarger said some of the donations, which are in the form of sponsorships for a variety of elements within the stadium, cannot be finalized until the design is completed.

The trust expects to receive the bulk of the donations at the end of this year and beginning of 2010, he said. There are a few donations that will be paid over a three-year period, he said.

The $60 million project includes construction of a $39.2 million multipurpose stadium and acquisition of surrounding land for mixed-use redevelopment.

In addition to the private donations, the project will receive $25 million from a special downtown property assessment and $5 million from the Drillers’ lease.

The trust also was updated on the construction progress, which is on track with the schedule.

The clearing of the site is complete, and competitive bidding is occurring on individual construction items.

The trust was told that despite the aggressive schedule, it is fully expected the construction will meet the deadline of having the stadium ready for the 2010 baseball season.

By P.J. LASSEK World
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:38:01 pm »

Funny. I got a "secret glimpse" of a design update that was after the last update posted on here. Sorry to say it looked even more drab than the previous one. The first one was so so, the next one they made some improvements, the "secret" one I saw looked worse than the first two lol. They had taken out what little fun and edgy components they had included on the redesign. I can well imagine the stakeholders seeing that and just saying "oh for goodness sakes, this is sad". Whats up with these people at HOK? Do they not listen to the people in Tulsa and know what we are about? Or are they just milking for more money and trying to keep the design process going? It really did look like someone on here suggested. They took something they had done before, same materials, etc. made a few changes gave it to us like we were a bunch of small town idiots who wouldn't know any better or care.

We have a history of some great architecture in this city. Plus them following on the heels of our striking, new, Cesar Pelli designed arena,,, you would think they would not toss out something that pitiful. Now I know its a small stadium. Its not a grand thing in their book perhaps. But no matter how small the client you should want to do your best for them. What we got wasnt anyones best by a long shot. They either weren't listening to the client, which is their job, and or weren't asking the appropriate questions.  

I hope they "got it" during this brainstorming session. I like the idea of the brick instead of the stone to tie in with the area, plus still keeping it contemporary with the zink and glass, and hopefully also blending in some deco flavor. Kind of putting in a little bit for everyone, and representing each of the various local flavors and desires. Which is what should have done in the first place.  

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:50:32 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Composer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:05:25 am »

That is quite discouraging.  I hope they make some improvements because this will be another step in reshaping Downtown Tulsa.  It is easy to talk about the stuff, but if HOK doesn't fully listen, we will be in trouble.
Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:47:05 am »

I find it kind of weird that these concept designs get thrown to the voters to vote on, then it gets changed after it gets approved.  It happened with Vision 2025, too.

What's up with that?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:50:07 am »

You guys sure are complainers.

Why not wait until the new designs are available to start hating it?

I think going more art deco and using brick sounds good. I am interested in seeing what they come up with.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I find it kind of weird that these concept designs get thrown to the voters to vote on, then it gets changed after it gets approved.  It happened with Vision 2025, too.

What's up with that?

We went with a  boring ballpark design in the first place. What harm could there be in trying to improve it?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:15:38 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:48:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

What's up with that?

We went with a  boring ballpark design in the first place. What harm could there be in trying to improve it?

+1 to Artist

And we never voted on a design for the Arena or the ballpark.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »

Withholding judgment till I see renderings.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:13:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I think going more art deco and using brick sounds good. I am interested in seeing what they come up with.

+1

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rwarn17588
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:48:06 am »

quote:

C'mon, RM. Why let common sense get in the way of idealism? [}:)]
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:19 pm »

Hoping for red brick.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Hoping for red brick.

That would be nice.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

quote:

C'mon, RM. Why let common sense get in the way of idealism? [}:)]

Common sense would have said, they would have done what they hopefully are doing now, right from the start. So one can imagine why people are a little shaken about HOK's grasp of "common sense" lol. Course, this is putting the blame on them and not on the people who they originally met and who told them what they wanted. Since I wasn't there its hard to lay blame on how this little charade has played out. They may not have had any indication that it would have mattered what the "people" of Tulsa would like, and thus wouldn't have bothered to find out.

We can all guess what they would have discovered ... a good number would want deco, a good number would want brick, a good number would want something contemporary. The best thing to have done would have been to cleverly blend all 3 elements together.

I run into this sort of thing all the time in my business. The husband likes one thing, the wife something completely different. Those are the jobs I get excited about cause that's when I get to actually be creative and challenge myself a bit. When your done or show them your idea and they both go, "Wow, I wouldn't have thought you could have possibly pulled it off,,, but you did!" Perhaps its just me, but I love that. I cant imagine how HOK or any other architectural firm could resist that type of fun challenge and chance to be creative and clever? Seems they were either just lazy as heck, out to get the buck and move on, and didn't give a dang, or were told that it didn't matter.  If they were basically lead to believe it didnt matter what they came up with and to not consider the area and the wishes of Tulsans who want to see this happen,,, I wonder why that changed and it matters what it looks like now? I just don't understand.  

Anywoo, here's keeping fingers crossed for the next round of plans.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 04:51:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Hoping for red brick.

I drove down there today to look at the materials used by their neighbors. The Greenwood area is red brick, but the buildings to the west are brown brick.

I would like something that compliments both.

Power is nothing till you use it.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »

be prepared for the inevitable change in budget figures.  "We know we said 60million... but now we need 75, and we have already started so we can't turn back now".

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org