A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:00:06 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well, I told them but nobody listened  (Read 7852 times)
inteller
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:44:20 pm »

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2173613&db=Tulsa

I TOLD TMAPC that Bixby was going to sue us (Tulsa) if they didn't do something about stormwater....but they just sat there like a bunch of idiots and passed it anyways.

Get ready to put more of your tax dollars in the sinking fund.  Can't something be done to remove people from office who willfully carry out actions that harm city tax payers?  Isn't that a qui tam suit?
Rico
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »

A little more information on the suit, silt, and storm water...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20081225_81_A14_BIXBYm341379
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »

Maybe I'm just blind and can't read topographic maps, but doesn't most of the site naturally drain towards the north and across Memorial under the BMW dealer?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:03:13 pm »

It would be a good idea to look at other areas of our city to investigate the chance of this happenning elsewhere around the city limits.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:22:53 pm »

It also appears that Memorial is a bit higher than where they are moving dirt.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 01:44:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

It also appears that Memorial is a bit higher than where they are moving dirt.

they appear to be up to no good.  there is a little knoll along 101st that they didn't clear off despite clearing everything else off.  If you look behind it you can see a huge pit full of water because they know they have a problem there.

I have some old (updated 1973) USGS charts of the area. The 1:250000 chart shows a high area between 91st and 101st straddling Memorial.  Unfortunately, I don't have the 1:24000 (7-1/2 minute) chart showing 101st & Memorial.

I have a couple of older (pre 1971) 7-1/2 min charts for south of 111th.  I think when my dad was moving here, someone from work warned him about Bixby flooding occasionally.  He bought the charts to make sure we didn't need a boat dock by the garage.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:22:48 am »

What should the elected officials, appointees, or anyone else in the city go through and look to see if anything is wrong?  If it is wrong, someone will sue us eventually and then we'll know. [xx(]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:07:06 pm »

If there is a stormwater issue, it will be resolved. I know your hopes are up, inteller. You have fought against this for a long time.

But stormwater runoff can be handled in lots of ways. There are wonderful examples of different detention, retention and underground piping of water all over town.

I don't know enough of the elevations to know how much of a problem this is, but I am sure it will be well-vetted in this suit. Whatever runoff solution needs to be built will be built.

Power is nothing till you use it.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:27:59 pm »

I am not an expert on retention ponds (even though I do retain a lot of water), but detention ponds that wait until after the rain stops to release water would seem to be a better fit here.

What kind of stormwater plan was expected of the Jim Norton car dealership when it was built? If it is the high ground like you say, their runoff issues need to be considered in any solution.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 03:08:45 pm »

And the fireworks today popped and fizzled.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=9596077

Tulsa's needing some experts for this to continue.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:50:37 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090126_298_0_Thecit395318

Tulsa, Bixby settle stormwater, drainage case

By SUSAN HYLTON, World Staff Writer

The cities of Bixby and Tulsa have reached a settlement regarding a new Target Supercenter and how much stormwater is discharged into Bixby neighborhoods. The case was set to go to trial Tuesday. Bixby City Attorney Phil Frazier said the city of Tulsa has agreed to change its stormwater discharge plans.

Tulsa has agreed not to dump more water into the Legacy Park drainage basin and will use detention ponds at Ridge Pointe Villas on the north side of 101st Street near Memorial Drive to retain the water, he said. In addition, discharge into a culvert that runs under 121st Street will be a controlled, which will result in a reduction to 45 cubic feet of water per second from 60 cubic feet per second.

As a result of the settlement, the city of Bixby has lifted its request for an injunction against Tulsa and the developer, John Bumgarner, and his company, 1995 Land Company LLC, to stop construction at the site. The store will be on the northeast corner of 101st and Memorial. Bixby’s city limits are on the south side of 101st Street; Tulsa’s are on the north. Dirt work for the store began late last year.

Frazier said the settlement was a compromise but that Bixby got what it wanted. “Our goal was to put no more water through Legacy Park, and we wanted to keep the flow at 60 (cubic feet per second) or below through Manly Crossing,” he said. The settlement is contingent on Bixby’s and Tulsa’s city councils’ approval and wording of a final order. Tulsa Public Works Director Charles Hardt was not available for comment.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:23 am »

And the crowds rejoiced.  I knew someone with a heart the size of Bumgarner's could get this pushed through quickly.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 03:23:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller
 The water still has to go somewhere.

I predict downhill.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »

Inteller,

Confess your sins, sell your near Bixby estate, move to mid town, say three hail Mary's and everything might be okay in your life.

XOXO,
Conan

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:04:34 am »

Perhaps you south Tulsans could look at what Jamie is pushing for the Pearl District with its "string of pearls", aka, water retention ponds, connected by water features and canals. Course something along those lines might add character and beauty to the area and take away from its bland suburban appeal. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org