A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:10:33 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th & Main  (Read 33303 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

They reported a 1% increase in sales tax revenue year over year.

Well surely that's enough and all that was expected.  So many folk on here say that slow growth is best.  No need to try and get our city up to having something crazy like say 3%-4% growth.

Listen to this craziness….(DENVER) Denver City Council President Mary Beth Susman today announced the City Council’s key 2015 budget priorities for the City. “The Council has called for transit and multi-modal transportation investments as its top priority this year,” said Susman. She noted that Council reiterated its commitment to bike and pedestrian safety goals from last year, but broadened the focus to include transit connections, accessible sidewalk ramps,

Now that's a city that is doomed.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 09:21:18 pm »

Like it or not, online commerce is here to stay.  That affects local brick and mortar businesses as well as sales tax collections.  There is also the stated problem of suburbs cannibalizing sales tax collections with their shopping developments that did not exist 10 years ago.

The state is being completely ignorant in trying to enforce a “use tax” and expecting people are going to comply and pay any additional sales tax due on those trinkets they bought in Branson or in a duty-free shop at LAX.  E-commerce is hardly new.  You’d think by now the state would have re-jiggered the tax code to a more income or property tax-based rather than consumption-based since it’s obvious the feds are never going to buy into a universal consumption tax and distribute it accordingly by state.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:45 pm »

Well surely that's enough and all that was expected.  So many folk on here say that slow growth is best.  No need to try and get our city up to having something crazy like say 3%-4% growth.

Listen to this craziness….(DENVER) Denver City Council President Mary Beth Susman today announced the City Council’s key 2015 budget priorities for the City. “The Council has called for transit and multi-modal transportation investments as its top priority this year,” said Susman. She noted that Council reiterated its commitment to bike and pedestrian safety goals from last year, but broadened the focus to include transit connections, accessible sidewalk ramps,

Now that's a city that is doomed.

Colorado Sales/Use Tax info:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251958948089&ssbinary=true

Oklahoma Sales Tax:
http://www.tax.ok.gov/publicat/copos/copo2Q14.pdf

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:21:25 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

saintnicster
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:50 am »

Ban the food trucks and collect some property taxes.

So which Jimmy Johns do you own/manage?  Is it just the downtown one?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:40 am »

I'm surprised one of the private arts organizations or philanthropies hasn't stepped in, and maybe they will.  I agree though that it's unfortunate that it has to come to that, and I think City Hall is grossly mismanaged.  In Denver's case it is good they are focusing on inner city mass transit as they have instead built a great commuter network while neglecting the needs of the inner city as traffic and congestion has increased. 

Back to 5th & Main, I like this fountain better than the one before especially at night.  This to me is the center of downtown and while busy during the day I wish there were more options open at night.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 10:45:44 am »

Ban the food trucks and collect some property taxes.

Good for you. That’s the modern American way. Minimum wage paying large national chain asking for government regulation to kill small independent local competitors.

Next you should ask for tax kickbacks for being a “job creator”.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:08 am »

Good for you. That’s the modern American way. Minimum wage paying large national chain asking for government regulation to kill small independent local competitors.

Next you should ask for tax kickbacks for being a “job creator”.

His stand on food trucks is one of the main reasons I"ll NEVER solicit business there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:03 am »

They reported a 1% increase in sales tax revenue year over year.

1% is better than 0. However, the budget was based on 3% iirc. Therefore, 1% sucks.

Who knows what's wrong with Tulsa. Roll Eyes Other cities have cannibalizing suburbs. We seem to be stuck with looking for sugar daddies for our lifestyle improvements, arts and humanities.

onward...through the fog
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:46 pm »

We seem to be stuck with looking for sugar daddies for our lifestyle improvements, arts and humanities.

And they have bailed out the city numerous times.  I shudder to think about what this city would look like without GKFF, or the Helmerichs, or Schustermans, etc. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

Back to 5th & Main, I like this fountain better than the one before especially at night.  This to me is the center of downtown and while busy during the day I wish there were more options open at night.

cannon_fodder was telling me the other night over dinner that some drivers seem to think the fountain is a belly-wash for their car.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »

His stand on food trucks is one of the main reasons I"ll NEVER solicit business there.
That's exactly why I asked which ones he works for.  Probably won't get an answer, though.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2014, 12:08:40 pm »

Who knows what's wrong with Tulsa. Roll Eyes Other cities have cannibalizing suburbs. We seem to be stuck with looking for sugar daddies for our lifestyle improvements, arts and humanities.

Other cities with cannibalizing suburbs have stopped trying to compete with the suburbs at being suburban and have embraced URBAN environments.  Thus differentiating themselves from the suburbs and attracting different kinds of business, development, and people.  Not only is it a more economical use of land and tax base - but Tulsa will NEVER compete with Owasso for cheap land, generic zoning, and chains.

But why should we want to?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

Other cities with cannibalizing suburbs have stopped trying to compete with the suburbs at being suburban and have embraced URBAN environments.  Thus differentiating themselves from the suburbs and attracting different kinds of business, development, and people.  Not only is it a more economical use of land and tax base - but Tulsa will NEVER compete with Owasso for cheap land, generic zoning, and chains.

That is not the Dewey ideology.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2014, 01:01:36 pm »

Well said.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

Great post.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org