A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:29:49 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I44 Gateways  (Read 3743 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: October 16, 2008, 01:24:15 pm »

Is this something we've discussed on the forum before? I had no idea that they were putting these in at the river and I44.

Tulsa World Article
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:42 pm »

Working link:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=20081016_11_A12_BarryD18200

It's great news. I've noticed demlition of commerical properts are underway at harvard. Tabu and Moody's got the boot this week.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »

I am interested to see what they have in mind. And yes we have talked about similar stuff on here before. There has been conversations about having some sort of "gateway" sculptures coming into the city or on either side of the bridges, and having some sort of "theme" design on the highway overpasses, retaining walls and sound barriers. I am really glad they are doing this. I have wanted the city to do just this type of thing for a long time. Will really help Tulsa form a unique identity and sense of place.

Not exactly sure what they meant in the article when they said "...landscaping and art deco design on the highway and sound-reduction walls are planned at I-44's intersections.." Art-deco design ON the highway? Landscaping on the highway? Landscaping on the sound-reduction walls? I wish the TW people would learn how to write and form sentences lol. I may write poorly, but I am not a professional being paid to do it. Half the time you read their articles you come away with more questions simply because you cant understand exactly what they are trying to say. And its getting old.

How does one join this Step Up Tulsa group anyway? lol

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:59:09 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »

Wouldn't that be a slap in the face to West Tulsa if we erected a giant "WELCOME TO TULSA" sign for people coming in from the west across the Arkansas river?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:45:47 pm »

Ideally you would have something at either end of a bridge, not just one side. But hey, not gonna complain. As for west Tulsa getting a bit of a snub. I dont think its personal. There are some decent areas and nice neighborhoods over there, but you have to admit, honestly, when your coming into Tulsa on that particular road from that direction, its a bit, um, "aesthetically challenged". However as you cross the river and suddenly see the skyline to your left and then drive into a more dense and alive urban area... well I would rather that be the first "Welcome to Tulsa" impression. May not be kind to the west Tulsans sensibilities and pride, but ya know its the truth regardless. We are all in this together, putting our best face forward on the first impression will be better in the long run for the whole city, including the west side, than giving a bad first impression.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
tshane250
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:42:52 am »

I think this is an excellent idea.  Many cities are already doing this.  It helps to create a unique identity for the city and provides a lasting memory for visitors or just those traveling through.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:39:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tshane250

Many cities are already doing this.  It helps to create a unique identity

Unique just like "many cities"?[Cheesy]
tshane250
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:18:24 am »

quote:
Unique just like "many cities"?

Okay, you are right.  Having a gateway wouldn't make us unique, but the design of it would be.  Anyway, I think stuff like this is cool.  

Off topic, but it is my hope that whenever they replace the I-244 bridge over the river (and through the woods) near downtown, they build an iconic bridge welcoming people both into Tulsa and into downtown.  Something besides a boring ol' bridge.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:56:40 am »

The pessimist in me envisions something as "inspired" as a giant 24/7 floodlit flag at car dealership.
Hope Im wrong.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

One could argue West Tulsa already has their "welcome towers"
T-TownMike
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:13:42 pm »

While I like the idea of the gateways, the wording needs to be changed, welcome to Tulsa is not accurate in the least, so why use it?

How about welcome to the heart of the city? Or you've just crosed the heartland bridge of Tulsa, etc.? Or we're glad you're in Tulsa. Now entering Mid-town Tulsa? Historic river district, etc??
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:17:05 pm by T-TownMike » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T-TownMike

How about welcome to the heart of the city? Or you've just crosed the heartland bridge of Tulsa, etc.? Or we're glad you're in Tulsa. Now entering Mid-town Tulsa? Historic river district, etc??

ENTERING GREATER TULSA
leaving Lesser Tulsa
No Tolerance

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org