A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:47:07 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TULSA PUBLIC WORKS SCANDAL  (Read 7392 times)
FOTD
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

Now that the fifth and final defendant has been sentenced, where is the head of this department to comment? The people deserve something other than dead silence. Much like that audit response?

Mr. Hardt was directly warned in the early 90's concerning improper conduct by Al Martinez who was over seeing a project in which literally the cutting of corners was being conducted. FOTD told Mr. Hardt that this indicated something was dead wrong. Mr. Hardt did nothing to Al. Apparently, this gave Al the ability to go on with his  shenanigans.

Judge Kern, these people committed crimes and should be punished. BUT, the harm to public confidence in the competitive bid process that deprived the people of Tulsa of the honest services they expect is systemic and comes from the top down from an invisible man whose face is reflected in our streets and the way we prioritize as a result of his department. Just look what happen to our law enforcement division versus his department.

Charles Hardt is not doing his best. If it is his best, he should have been replaced long ago.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:55:53 pm »

Now that the fifth and final defendant has been sentenced, where is the head of this department to comment? The people deserve something other than dead silence. Much like that audit response?

Mr. Hardt was directly warned in the early 90's concerning improper conduct by Al Martinez who was over seeing a project in which literally the cutting of corners was being conducted. FOTD told Mr. Hardt that this indicated something was dead wrong. Mr. Hardt did nothing to Al. Apparently, this gave Al the ability to go on with his  shenanigans.

Judge Kern, these people committed crimes and should be punished. BUT, the harm to public confidence in the competitive bid process that deprived the people of Tulsa of the honest services they expect is systemic and comes from the top down from an invisible man whose face is reflected in our streets and the way we prioritize as a result of his department. Just look what happen to our law enforcement division versus his department.

Charles Hardt is not doing his best. If it is his best, he should have been replaced long ago.

I keep hoping with the arrival of every new administration that Hart will soon be retired.  No such luck yet.  He had his hey-day with the flood mitigation projects, but any number of contractors will tell you that the PW department is a total cluster-f*** these days. 

Hell, just look at the gradual demise of our streets over the last 20 to 25 years and other city-owned assets and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we've got far worse problems in other departments, but we've got an admin which seems more worried about budget shortfalls in public safety.  I mean seriously, COT employs what, 4000 people or so?  Why start cutting in public safety when we've had studies which have shown we already are short in that area.  What about other departments which may be bloated where we are not getting our money's worth?

I can also say I've been contacted by an outside survey company within the last few months wanting my opinion on the bid and supplier process in dealing with the COT and curious to know if we've seen favoratism or discrimination in city contract awards.  I'm offering that as evidence to the rest of you that myself and my boss aren't the only ones who think there's major dysfunction going on with the contractors and suppliers the city uses consistently who are not providing the best products or services for taxpayers.  We do get some city work, but it's amazing to see over and over again how COT continues to contract with incompetent engineers and suppliers who have quite clearly screwed up projects in the past.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

Conan, It might help if you marry of one of your kids to someone in the department hierarchy.
Rico
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »

"but it's amazing to see over and over again how COT continues to contract with incompetent engineers and suppliers who have quite clearly screwed up projects in the past."

How do you know that is not the reason they are given the work?

In some circles ignorance is rewarded. Look at the COT's history with the Tulsa Metro Chamber.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:23:45 pm »

In some cases, engineers are required to work to deficient standards by state law.  I don't have the first hand info anymore but it applied to road surfacing and asphalt in the mid to late 70s.  Engineering disaster?  Nope, disaster by incompetents legislating beyond their knowledge.  Since our infrastructure still seems to fall apart in a short time, I expect the same laws are still in effect.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:18 pm »

Public Works is a continuation of the controls of the Storm Water Management which was a spin-off of employees of the Corps of Engineers who could find a bigger cash cow under the unregulated salaries available under the amended charter.  If one reads the report of the audit by auditor Wood, ordered by a grand jury, you will surmise that Charles is passing on the wishes of the hierarchies of  the COT.   The audit shows several work order that were unsigned or signed by illegible signatures.

The present suggestion of a audit by a private firm, paid for by private donations, would lead one to believe that the rule of the day is “Don’t ask; we wont tell.”

The work on the Mingo flood control that ends at the RR into a cement wall to protect the Air Port and Bird Creek flood plain is a product of the Mayor calling the engineering firm and tell them he had 10M dollars available to construct something for the people to see as the development of the floodway was underway.  The engineer said their fee was 1M dollars to build the scenery for people to see.

Then the frog pond in the bottom of the retention ponds require a $20,000 design fee to the engineers each time one is dug.  The reason for them is the most ridicules design one could conjure up.

The city operating budget is over 500M dollars where they are chopping at the bottom of totem pole to reduce it 10M dollars.

All infrastructure done in the COT must pass through the Public Works Departments.  This holds open the doors for fraud.  The door will not close until the voter quit doling out the funds to sustain it.  Now the whistle blower has been taught not to tell.  Grin        
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:42:04 pm by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
rwarn17588
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:09:13 pm »

Whoops, shadows is criticizing the storm-drainage system again. That means there's a big storm coming.  Cheesy
shadows
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »

Whoops, shadows is criticizing the storm-drainage system again. That means there's a big storm coming.  Cheesy
Naw there not a big storm coming.  It has already passed with the rate payers paying for it each time they draw a glass of water to take a bitter pill.

It seems that the only difference in S.W.M. and P.W. was the changing of name plates on the desks.  In the city we fund the operation then we seek ways to fund the funding.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

I love it when shadows 'remembers" how things happened with stormwater management. We just need to add vampires or dragons and make them into a children's book or movie of the week.

Power is nothing till you use it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

I love it when shadows 'remembers" how things happened with stormwater management. We just need to add vampires or dragons and make them into a children's book or movie of the week.
What bothers me most that when a drainage system cannot pass a 2 inch rain without blocking off streets and a property tax has been installed as a fee where even if no water meter is present the owner of the property is billed for the property tax not approved by a vote of the people.  Many citizens are unaware that a tax lien can be filed and the property sold because of a installed fee.     

rwarn17588
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »

What bothers me most that when a drainage system cannot pass a 2 inch rain without blocking off streets and a property tax has been installed as a fee where even if no water meter is present the owner of the property is billed for the property tax not approved by a vote of the people.  Many citizens are unaware that a tax lien can be filed and the property sold because of a installed fee.     

So pay the damned bill, you cheapskate.
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:49:39 pm »

Glorified hydrologists took over where real administrators were required.

Tulsa is worse off for the ineptitude of past Mayors to remove incompetent directors from city hall. The director toed his way into the job by playing footsies with Mayor Savage. Shameful.

Where the hell is Stan Williams? We should have expected more from Roger Randle but his secretary Savage was calling the shots while snuggling up to her chum, soon to be head of Public Works.

Metcalfe is rolling over in his grave.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

Tulsa is worse off for the ineptitude of past Mayors to remove incompetent directors from city hall. The director toed his way into the job by playing footsies with Mayor Savage. Shameful.

Where the hell is Stan Williams? We should have expected more from Roger Randle but his secretary suckretary Savage was calling the shots while snuggling up to her chum, soon to be head of Public Works.

Fixed that for you.  You are slipping.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:31:03 pm »

Where the hell is Stan Williams? We should have expected more from Roger Randle but his secretary Savage was calling the shots while snuggling up to sucking her chum, soon to be head of Public Works.

Was it you Co Co who fixed my avatar by hacking my account? One of you insidies did it....witch one?

Quit fixing me....it can't be done!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

Was it you Co Co who fixed my avatar by hacking my account? One of you insidies did it....witch one?

Quit fixing me....it can't be done!

Nope, you got the wrong guy.  I don't have special powers like that, I just like to talk a lot.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org