A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:31:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did you get your base molding?  (Read 4140 times)
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« on: November 15, 2007, 08:46:41 pm »

I've been to HD and Lowes but their selection is very limited, plus they were trying to sell me some fake wood for the molding.  I can't imagine that standing up to much wear and tear.

I want something that is clean looking (nothing fancy like Artist's work)[Cheesy]

Any recommendations?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »

Is there anyplace other than HD or Lowe's left? [Wink]

Maybe Southerlands or M & M on Mingo.  Does Mill Creek still do lumber?  

I bet Artist knows a good place for something better than common base trim but not too ostentatious.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:52:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by HoneySuckle

I've been to HD and Lowes but their selection is very limited, plus they were trying to sell me some fake wood for the molding.  I can't imagine that standing up to much wear and tear.

I want something that is clean looking (nothing fancy like Artist's work)[Cheesy]

Any recommendations?

Southern Millwork sells lots of trim.  Can be pricey but worth the difference.

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:

Any recommendations?

A trim guy came to see what I wanted done, and he said just for my kitchen area, powder room and laundry (365 sq ft total for tiles), would be about $600 unfinished[:O]  

Will check out the places you all mentioned.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:57:35 am »

I have used Fox's Trim off of Yale.

http://foxsarchitecturalspecialties.org/

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:14:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I have used Fox's Trim off of Yale.

http://foxsarchitecturalspecialties.org/

Or Woodcraft at 41st & Hudson in the little shopping center across from Ricardo's. Haven't been there in a while but i remember they had specialty woods and trim.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:43:53 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:

Any recommendations?

A trim guy came to see what I wanted done, and he said just for my kitchen area, powder room and laundry (365 sq ft total for tiles), would be about $600 unfinished[:O]  

Will check out the places you all mentioned.

Honestly, I don't think $600 is too bad to have it professionally done.  Are you talking about entire baseboard, or just new quarter-round where you've re-tiled.

I completely remodeled a rent house my mother owns last year.  As a part of that, I re-did the flooring in the kitchen and laundry.  Even with a great miter set-up, I still struggled to get the corners as perfect as I like and wound up having to use a little filler on a few of the joints.  No one else would notice, but it irritated the heck out of me.

The flooring went great, but if I had it to do over, I would have just paid someone else to do the trim work.  They could have probably done it in half the time it took me and the detail likely would have been a little nicer.

Yeah, rent house and she was selling it, but I'm just picky.[Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 01:09:59 am »

It's the unfinished part of the quote I didn't like, and he was only doing the parts that didn't have a wall of cabinets.

I am looking for plain base moulding, nothing fancy with scrolls or whatever designs they put on them.

I too would rather someone do this job, but I really want it stained and I can't do a good enough job.  

Will try some of the places you all mentioned.  Most trim guys don't want to stain.

Goodpasture
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 08:32:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Even with a great miter set-up, I still struggled to get the corners as perfect as I like and wound up having to use a little filler on a few of the joints.  No one else would notice, but it irritated the heck out of me.

It is important to remember........miter outside corners, cope inside corners.....

When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com
Wrinkle
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:18 pm »

quote:

Any recommendations?

There used to be a small outfit called "S&S" in Bixby on South Memorial. Think it was called "S&S Custom Molding".

Has most the traditional shapes, plus the ability to produce matching or do custom if you pay for the shaper.

If it's not in stock, the first piece is expensive (setup), then pretty reasonable.

Wrinkle
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:25:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goodpasture

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Even with a great miter set-up, I still struggled to get the corners as perfect as I like and wound up having to use a little filler on a few of the joints.  No one else would notice, but it irritated the heck out of me.

It is important to remember........miter outside corners, cope inside corners.....

I've never been able to get the coping down. But, I do have pretty good luck doing all miters if I lay out the corners first and infill between. Produces one more joint than is most desireable, but it works.

Do a few very short trial corner miters to get it set just right. That's a compound miter at something like 22.5-degs from vertical and 45-degs perpendicular. Turn the next piece to cut the other angle, don't change the saw. Lay the piece flat on the miter saw and cut, then set one corner, draw the lines along the top/bottom edges and set the rest of the corners. Straight 45-deg miter on the infill pieces to match the non-corner end of the corner parts.

Just my method, probably makes carpenters cringe.

Wrinkle
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 09:39:59 pm »

If your saw is big enough to handle it, you can set up a jig to hold the piece in an installed position and just cut 45-deg miters.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org