A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:51:34 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walk at Tulsa Hills  (Read 132985 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:55 am »

I don't understand the criticism of this new business. Its at 81st & Elwood for gawd's sake. Not the center of architectural greatness and a common sense location for a suburban indoor playground of sorts. Lots of young nearby. Lots of income. Lots of shopping and of course the vaunted Jenks school system. What am I missing? Why wouldn't they locate there and why would anyone expect it to be any different in style and substance than the rest of suburbia?

It did seem strange they would refer to it as a West Tulsa location rather than SouthWest or Jenks but I am happy that they chose to open up in Tulsa period.

I think of myself as being pretty good at being understanding of peoples differences and all, but, I would walk into that place and my mind would shut down and collapse in on itself, and find it hard to imagine how others would not feel the same way.

Look at the Arcade pictures for example.  The entrance to the place where you can pick out a prize, I assume.  It's red, with a slight arch in the middle and in a boring font says "Winners Choice".  That's it, no other imagery or ornamentation, just boring blah.  Then there is a big yellow box to the right and just to the far right a little something interesting looking.  Boring floor too.  Then there appears to be a climbing structure over some game tables. 3 colors and that's it. Nothing around it to make it interesting or themed, to spark ones imagination, create a sense of wonder, etc.

The Bowling alley. OMG, what is that? How could you be in that space for more than a few minutes and not go crazy? OMG! If I have to explain this one to you, you have problems.  Eat Bowl Play in white lettering over and over and over.  How could you look at that for an hour or so or however long it takes to bowl and not be bored out of your wits? I would have to consciously pull my eyes away from it and try not to look lest I perhaps get stuck there in a stupor staring at it with my mouth hanging open and drooling as it sucks the last bit of consciousness from my mind. I couldn't do it.  I am sorry. I would just have to tell my family or friends "I am outta here, I can't handle this." Perhaps I could find something better to entertain my visual senses with, like picking gum off the bottom of my shoes?

Now the Arcade is decent I will give them that. Getting there with that one.

Purple glowing lights.      Eat Bowl Play

Purple glowing lights

Eat
Bowl
Plaaaaay

Puuuuuuuurple glowing liiiiiiiights……………

Eat

Bowl

Plaaaaaay.

AAAAAAAUGH!  See it's already happening. Shocked

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:44:46 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:59 am »

I think of myself as being pretty good at being understanding of peoples differences and all, but, I would walk into that place and my mind would shut down and collapse in on itself, and find it hard to imagine how others would not feel the same way.

Incredible Pizza is successful
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2014, 09:44:11 am »

Quote from: TheArtist

Incredible Pizza is successful

Ha.  That's immediately what I thought of.

Trust me..  your mind does shut down and you go into convulsions
I've been there a couple times, but it's been quite a while (thank goodness)
My son is almost 3 yrs old...  luckily we haven't had to deal with Chuck-E-Cheese or Inedible Pizza yet.

Supposedly "Main Event" is geared more towards adults.  Hopefully it's a bit calmer, quieter, and less cattle trough buffet
rebound
City Father

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:05 am »

Have to say I'm with Artist.   I can't stand these kind of places.  Thankfully the youngest is finally out of the Incredible Pizza stage. 

I did notice that they have bocce.  Not that I want to go there to play it, but I was at a bar somewhere (Chicago or Minneapolis, I think, but not sure) that had several bocce courts on the roof.  Natural grass, very nice.  They had leagues, and when the leagues weren't playing the waiting list was pretty long to get on the courts.  Tons of people drinking and watching the matches.  I think that would go over well in Tulsa at a bar downtown as well.  (I know it can get hot in the Summer, but with some strategically placed umbrellas and the like, I'd think it could for the most part be made tolerable.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:42 am »

I did notice that they have bocce.  Not that I want to go there to play it, but I was at a bar somewhere (Chicago or Minneapolis, I think, but not sure) that had several bocce courts on the roof.  Natural grass, very nice.  They had leagues, and when the leagues weren't playing the waiting list was pretty long to get on the courts.  Tons of people drinking and watching the matches.  I think that would go over well in Tulsa at a bar downtown as well.  (I know it can get hot in the Summer, but with some strategically placed umbrellas and the like, I'd think it could for the most part be made tolerable.

Isn't there a bocce court at Guthrie Green?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2014, 11:25:01 am »

Artist I get those feelings whenever I venture past the midtown area to deep southern suburbia. But each to his own and their tax receipts all  spend the same.  You did make me laugh. I remember taking my kids to such places. Celebration station comes to mind.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2014, 12:22:01 pm »

Isn't there a bocce court at Guthrie Green?

Yes.

Artist, it’s not my thing either but when you have kids, you end up doing kid things with your kids. 

Or you simply ignore them, allow their teachers to raise them and pretty soon they are hi-jacking five hour energy from QT and going on seven state killing sprees.  Shocked

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »

I occasionally take my kids to Dave and Busters. You all should try it sometime.

My wife and I sit in the restaurant. It is nice, clean, not too loud and has a good menu pretty much on par with a Chili's. We each usually buy a $17 entree that come with a ten dollar game card. Right now they also have a special of $40 in game play for $20. Dinner with all that and drinks, tip, etc. is around $80.

We have a nice dinner, the kids check in every once in a while and eat our french fries while we talk. They also have TVs all over to catch the game if our conversation is boring.

The game rooms are spectacular. They really have the state of the art in video game technology. Some of the games may cost $1 or $2 to play but many are just a quarter. My kids have a rule that I if pay for the games, the tickets paid out have to given away to some other kid. The junk in the redemption shop is odd stuffed animals and candy. I did play games once and won enough tickets to buy a DandB shot glass.

I have been to the other locations. We sometimes have hours to kill with a whole soccer team in some regional city and it is fun to get the kids minds off of soccer and the parents a chance to socialize.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2014, 12:55:24 pm »

I like that this is in Tulsa - continuing the sales tax moat being built on Tulsa's southwest perimeter.  If only we had done the same on Tulsa's southeast border wtih Broken Arrow years ago.....
rebound
City Father

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:58 pm »

I occasionally take my kids to Dave and Busters. You all should try it sometime.

D&B is hands-down better than Incredible Pizza.   We do go there some.

Also, did not realize there is a bocce court at Guthrie Green.  I'll have to put the bocce set in the car the next time we head that way.

saintnicster
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:45 pm »

D&B is hands-down better than Incredible Pizza.   We do go there some.

Also, did not realize there is a bocce court at Guthrie Green.  I'll have to put the bocce set in the car the next time we head that way.
Yep, right next to Lucky's.  I also seem to remember Dilly Deli having Bocce on their patio, but I'm not sure if it is still there.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:25 am »

Yep, right next to Lucky's.  I also seem to remember Dilly Deli having Bocce on their patio, but I'm not sure if it is still there.

They removed it and replaced it with miniature houses.  We love taking our daughter there and she has fun.  Much more enjoyable than a Chuck E Cheese or Main Event nightmare.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2014, 11:05:31 am »

It's not a world class bowling destination so I refuse to enjoy it.

Sounds like you have been hanging around here too long - starting to develop my bad attitude!!   

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »

We went to Dave and Busters tonight. I spent $60 on three meals and three $10 play cards.

My son figured out the timing on some ball game and got enough tickets to get a blender. I played an electronic trivia game against six other adults and got enough tickets to buy four beer steins. My daughter spent all her card on skee ball and bought candy with her tickets.

I say we got our money's worth.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Stanley1
Activist

« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:34 am »

Anybody know for sure what gym is suppose to move in here?  Planet Fitness, correct?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org