A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:51:27 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Green Chili in Tulsa  (Read 13678 times)
deeray
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:42:40 pm »

Does anyone know where to find Albuquerque style New Mexican food with "hatch" green chili?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »

"The Green Burrito" which is part of the Carl Jr/Hardees mashup is supposed to be that kind of food, albeit fast food.

I can safely say I haven't seen any New Mexico-style in Tulsa.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:01:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deeray

Does anyone know where to find Albuquerque style New Mexican food with "hatch" green chili?

I've been searching for years.....nada around here.

La Roca had it in okc before their heads got too large and they went down hill...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »

You won't believe me but Ricardo's....They know their green chilis....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:18:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

Do you make anything for dinner besides reservations?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:22:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

Do you make anything for dinner besides reservations?

I do not like the place...lol...But I have a buddy that spent a long time in NMX.....He and the owner of Ricardo's can talk green chili's like Eagleton debating the river tax....heh....

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:03:02 pm »

I haven't found anything in Tulsa that is remotely like northern NM cooking (green chile, etc).  I think Tulsa's Latino population is mostly from Central and South America...not NM.  As for Ricardos...as I recall, they make a potent margarita...but after living in Colorado and spending a lot of time in Albuquerque, I can safely say that it's not what we mean when we say we want northern NM cuisine.

(But if you're ever in the Farmington, NM area, eat at Kathy's.  Oh. My. God.  If heaven is a burrito smothered in green chile...the angels sing in this tiny restaurant!)

I'm thinking of going to Albuquerque just to pick up some fresh roasted green chile.  Seems like October is the month when people roast them out on street corners and you can buy them by the pound.  There's nothing quite like it.  (The frozen Hatch green chile that you buy in the grocery store is decent, but the fresh stuff is amazing!)
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:19:04 pm »

I have the Spanish Omelet drowning in Green Chili Sauce from Atlas grill, every Friday morning, they have the BEST breakfast, shame it's only one day a week.  Does that even count as what you all are talking about?

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 02:32:39 pm »

Haven't had breakfast burrito at the Atlas, but it sounds great.  I'll have to give it a try.

Also, just to prove how snooty and passionate I am about green chile from NM...

When talking about our favorite pepper from Hatch, NM, it's "chile" (with an e).  Chili with an "i" is the stuff we celebrate here in Tulsa at the Chili cookoff, or we fondly remember from Ike's downtown.  

When you order food in New Mexico, expect to be asked "red or green?"  They want to know if you want red chile sauce or green chile sauce on your food. (They even put it on hamburgers.  YUM!)

If you are traveling in New Mexico, and you order a "bowl of chile" (even if what you want is a bowl of "chili") expect to get a spicy dish of roasted green chile in green chile sauce that may or may not have pork in it...and if you're not from there, will probably be too hot to eat!
Goodpasture
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:18:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

When you order food in New Mexico, expect to be asked "red or green?"  They want to know if you want red chile sauce or green chile sauce on your food. (They even put it on hamburgers.  YUM!)

McDonald's in Santa Rosa serves it as a condiment, like catsup. You can have it put on any burger or sandwich they serve.

For a chain burger joint, Blakes Whataburger makes a good chile cheeseburger. But for the best and most historic you have to go to San Antonio (NM....just south of Socorro) to the Owl.

When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:48:33 pm »

quote:

I haven't found anything in Tulsa that is remotely like northern NM cooking (green chile, etc).  I think Tulsa's Latino population is mostly from Central and South America...not NM.  As for Ricardos...as I recall, they make a potent margarita...but after living in Colorado and spending a lot of time in Albuquerque, I can safely say that it's not what we mean when we say we want northern NM cuisine.

(But if you're ever in the Farmington, NM area, eat at Kathy's.  Oh. My. God.  If heaven is a burrito smothered in green chile...the angels sing in this tiny restaurant!)

I'm thinking of going to Albuquerque just to pick up some fresh roasted green chile.  Seems like October is the month when people roast them out on street corners and you can buy them by the pound.  There's nothing quite like it.  (The frozen Hatch green chile that you buy in the grocery store is decent, but the fresh stuff is amazing!)

best i've ever had is at the burrito banquet- cimarron, new mexico... amazing stuff... onlyopen in the summer and served out of a trailer but it is unfingbelievable... as a bonus, head up the road to cold beer, nm (the colfax tavern) great place...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »

quote:

Haven't had breakfast burrito at the Atlas, but it sounds great.  I'll have to give it a try.

Also, just to prove how snooty and passionate I am about green chile from NM...

When talking about our favorite pepper from Hatch, NM, it's "chile" (with an e).  Chili with an "i" is the stuff we celebrate here in Tulsa at the Chili cookoff, or we fondly remember from Ike's downtown.  

If you are traveling in New Mexico, and you order a "bowl of chile" (even if what you want is a bowl of "chili") expect to get a spicy dish of roasted green chile in green chile sauce that may or may not have pork in it...and if you're not from there, will probably be too hot to eat!

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 08:16:40 pm »

quote:

Ricardos Chiles come from NM......Trust me the owner knows his Chiles...

nmoky
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:40 am »

This topic has been dead for awhile, perhaps its due for a restart with new information...

For those seeking a Mexican Restaurant in Tulsa with Green Chile:
Chuy's (918) 252-0405
10808 E 71st Street
Tulsa, OK 74133
South side of 71st street just E of Hwy 169, just before Chipotle’s.

They have two green chile sauces (both pretty good and pretty spicy):
"Hatch Green Chile" - made with beef stock
"Green Chile" - made with chicken stock and tomatoes (but not too many)

I had the relleno enchilada combo (both chicken). The relleno was good and crispy. They're happy to bring samples of any sauces to you before you order, so you know what you're getting. Anything with their grilled steak is also very tasty.

Overall I was pleased and plan to go back.  Note: the downside is, many others appear to feel the same way and they are crowded.

Also, Abuelos across the street also now has green chile on the menu.

Then there's also buying frozen Bueno Green Chile in 1 lb tubs at Reasors, or buying fresh Anaheims and roasting and peeling them.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:54:36 am »

Then there's also buying frozen Bueno Green Chile in 1 lb tubs at Reasors, or buying fresh Anaheims and roasting and peeling them.

Thanks for posting NM!

This is worth re-stating if you love Hatch peppers.  These tubs are in the freezer section at Reasor's, and reading the ingredients it's peppers, nothing else.  The canned Hatch chiles have citric acid added as a preservative and, IMO, it taints the flavor.

Or if you want a fresh box of peppers in August let me know, I will be bringing them back from my annual Leadville excursion. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org