A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:34:35 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Have No Opinion Yet  (Read 5692 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »

Here's a link to the lyrics.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/nirvana/smells+like+teen+spirit_20101055.html

In my opinion, the lyrics are irrelevant (although the lyrics in that song are kinda neat). Nirvana had a very new sound that essentially destroyed the mindless pop Madonnas and phony metal Poisons/Cinderellas who preceded them. There are very very few musicians/performers in my life experience who had such an incredible impact on music than those three guys. IMO, as far as 1980s rockers go, only G&R (for a while), Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, and Van Halen survived. I could very well be wrong as to that list.

The instrumental part was OK.  I didn't care for the (what I call screaming) parts of the vocals.  I didn't care much for most of Janis Joplin's stuff either.  I'll agree that sometimes the actual words don't matter so much as long as the sound of the words complements the instrumental.  They could have been a major improvement over the immediately preceding artists but I didn't listen to them much either.  FWIW, the only Beatles song my dad initially liked was When I'm 64.  He was 40 something at the time.  He later grew to like some more of the Beatles.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org