A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:31:34 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New downtown YMCA  (Read 2843 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: September 20, 2007, 11:42:43 am »

Most people know that the YMCA downtown is slated for demolition.  While I am not saying I support it, I was happy to hear that they are considering building a new Y downtown.  I received a phone call for a survey trying to determine its location.  They are considering three--In the Mayo hotel, by OSU Medical center (near Doubletree), by OSU Medical center (west bank--not downtown, but close to it, and a needed service for the west side).  The ones located by OSU would be affilated with the medical center, similar to the St. John's health club.  While I liked the idea of the one at the Mayo hotel, it wouldn't have a pool, which would be a big disadvantage, IMO.  The other two sound like they would have a lot to offer.  Any thoughts on which location you might be likely to join (if any)? The idea of someone besides the city actually building something downtown is exciting (though, of course, they are taking down another building to do so).

Rico
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:23:22 pm »

^

Unless they have changed course... YMCA made a public statement, 2-3 years ago, that they were doing away with the residential portion of their facilities...

That means when they do the demo.. the people that reside there will be on the streets.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:24:35 pm »

East End/Greenwood would be nice.
OurTulsa
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:49:30 pm »

I took the same survey and I recall them saying the Mayo Bldg.  I suggested that swimming was important to me to which they did not indicate that there would not be a pool at the Mayo.  

They would certainly have more flexibility with a new site outside the IDL as opposed to retrofitting into an existing structure however my response to them was (for me) the Mayo Bldg. seemed most convenient.  I don't have to drive to the facility and it would be easy for me to hit a workout during lunch and actually pick up lunch along the way as well as run other errands (bank...).  

It's not that a location across the River would be incredibly inconvenient but I would have to get into my car and drive and that eats up time.  

With that said, if they are looking to establish a comprehensive, family facility then maybe its in their best interest to get outside the IDL where they would have more flexibility with site design and providing 'convenient' parking.  OSU Tulsa's medical facility is not far from the River and it could be another asset to the River development.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:09:03 pm »

Why didn't they look at building on one of those big empty parking lots on the east side of downtown?

I vote East End, even if it's not on the survey!  I think if the downtown Y built there, and then developed its rec leagues (volleyball, basketball, sand volleyball, racquetball, etc), the people who play in those leagues would be more likely to go out for food and drinks afterwards.  A win for the Y and a win for the downtown entertainment districts.

If the Y had a nicer downtown facility, they could promote rec league sports for DT workers.  It would be much easier for downtown workers to participate in rec leagues than driving through all the congestion to get to the Thorton Y.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:19:33 pm »

What a minute. Which is it.. Mayo Hotel or Mayo Building?
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:59 pm »

^I actually don't remember which they said.  I think Mayo building.  I kind of dismissed it when they said no pool (main reason we joined YWCA was for the pool).

As for the East End, I believe that the real push in location (apart from Mayo) was for a hospital affiliation (OSU).  They wanted to include "therapeutic" exercise programs.  Places like St. Johns do quite well in providing medically monitered exercise programs for patients with heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetics, etc.... (often paid for by insurance).

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:30:25 pm »

Other than the Mayo, none of these locations are good to walk to during lunch for a quick workout. I wonder where they would build if they chose the OSU area on Houston?
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 03:47:37 pm »

The Downtown OSU Medical Center would be my vote... Still Downtown, and an obvious amenity to the Medical Center, esp. if it is anything like St. Johns...two thumbs up for that location!

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:42:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pfox

The Downtown OSU Medical Center would be my vote... Still Downtown, and an obvious amenity to the Medical Center, esp. if it is anything like St. Johns...two thumbs up for that location!

I agree with you.  

Unfortunate, at least from the point of view of preserving the streetscape, that the old building is coming down.  Anyone know what's replacing it?  Vacant lot/parking lot, or something more interesting?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org