A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:46:33 am
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Tulsa's residential trash system  (Read 126314 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »

As I have always said BA has acquired highly intelligent citizens who believe that all expenditures affecting all the people should be decided by the people.
So be it, trash pickup is a venture of all the citizens who should vote on any changes that are made.

BA citizens fire City Managers for withholding information from them.       

Don't be holding BA up as example - they have been getting real stupid the last few years, what with all the new people moving into town.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TMS
Citizen

« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2012, 01:57:37 pm »

Not sure what your mailed proposal says, but it looks like my monthly bill for once-a-week trash service (as opposed to twice-per-week now) will be going up by around 20%.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:56 pm »

Not sure what your mailed proposal says, but it looks like my monthly bill for once-a-week trash service (as opposed to twice-per-week now) will be going up by around 20%.

Really?  The most you'll pay with two 96-gallon trash carts is 17.00.  I know the low-gen service I have now is 10.50 plus the 2.00 optional recycling (of which the fee for the new service will not exist).

The 64-gallon cart that I've opted in with at once a week will cost me 14.02.  Recycling is optional (96-gallon cart), but not an additional fee like it is now.  So, it's about a dollar and a half more.  I have six months to see if I can knock it down even further to a 32 gallon cart which will bring me down to to 12.52 which is right at where I'm paying now.

If you're not recycling now, you need to try with the new system.  You might be surprised how much it will reduce your need to have a 96-gallon cart.  It might not, depending on how large your household is.  Given that 20 percent is probably about 2 dollars, I'd say it's a non-issue.  Given that the current bill probably averages about $50 as is.  Mine is usually right at $45 (usually only use about 2 to 3 thousand gallons of water a month).

With two people, we generate about three to four 13-gallon bags of refuse a week.  I might be able to stuff that in a 32-gallon container, but I'd like the extra for things like green waste outside of the gratis period (which is November to January).

I can tell you in two weeks (the cycle for the recycling pickups), we easily fill the two 17 gallon containers we have.  If there are additional items that will be allowed in the recycle stream, that could even reduce our refuse amount further.  Thus the 6 months grace period for judging how much you'll use.

Have you tried going here to see what meets your needs?  The mailer is incredibly generic.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TMS
Citizen

« Reply #243 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:59 am »

Thank you for the link Hoss. It's the same as the mailer I received from the city a week or so ago.

To be precise, the new mandatory city trash service will represent a 17.2 percent monthly increase in cost, and that's for less than half the service if you consider not only cutting twice-a-week service to once a week, but also the fact that we could put more trash at curbside before. This is if we choose the most inexpensive option now available to us (32 gallon, curbside, once a week service). Now we'll be limited to a considerably smaller amount each week, and for no more than we have to recycle each week, then I guess we're going to be stuck with yet another container, a huge blue tub blocking access from front to back on the side of the house and blowing down the street on days like this. 

I'd be curious as to what others calculate to be their increase (or decrease) with this new system. I don't mean to be skeptical, but in my case, it's definitely increasing, for decreasing service. (Actually, healthy skepticism is usually my first reaction when it comes to governmental control of our public dollars.) I just wish our local government could tell us straight up when they're raising our taxes (well, or "fees" if you'd like). Maybe everyone else's bills come out to no more monthly, for the same services. It seems like I do remember city hall stating that the new trash service would not cost us citizens any more, so we'll see. I hope they're right.

..just my $0.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.     

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: May 24, 2012, 11:57:14 am »

I don't mean to be skeptical, but in my case, it's definitely increasing, for decreasing service.

Nobody said it would be cheaper. Or even the same price. The entire reason we're going through this is because we've been paying below cost for some years now. It stands to reason that the price would then increase. Thanks to bundled recycling, my cost is actually going down $1.42. If I didn't presently pay for recycling, it would be an increase of 58 cents a month. I only need a 64 gallon cart once a week. Twice is handy in case I forget one day, but it's not worth the extra four bucks a month to me.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:06 am »

Nobody said it would be cheaper. Or even the same price. The entire reason we're going through this is because we've been paying below cost for some years now. It stands to reason that the price would then increase. Thanks to bundled recycling, my cost is actually going down $1.42. If I didn't presently pay for recycling, it would be an increase of 58 cents a month. I only need a 64 gallon cart once a week. Twice is handy in case I forget one day, but it's not worth the extra four bucks a month to me.

You must not have been on low-gen...mine is going up a little.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »

They did a segment on the news last night about what a FAIL the 96 gallon recycling cart is especially for the elderly.  As we have no garage, I’m more than a little concerned where the 96 gallon recycle cart and 64 gallon trash cart are going to reside.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »

They did a segment on the news last night about what a FAIL the 96 gallon recycling cart is especially for the elderly.  As we have no garage, I’m more than a little concerned where the 96 gallon recycle cart and 64 gallon trash cart are going to reside.

I guess I don't worry about that nearly as much as I'm sure others need to, as I have a fairly large porch, and the entryway in my living room from the front door could hold that cart.  But that is one thing I was pretty vocal about, was the inability to get different sized recycle bins.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:48 pm »

Thank you for the link Hoss. It's the same as the mailer I received from the city a week or so ago.

To be precise, the new mandatory city trash service will represent a 17.2 percent monthly increase in cost, and that's for less than half the service if you consider not only cutting twice-a-week service to once a week, but also the fact that we could put more trash at curbside before. This is if we choose the most inexpensive option now available to us (32 gallon, curbside, once a week service). Now we'll be limited to a considerably smaller amount each week, and for no more than we have to recycle each week, then I guess we're going to be stuck with yet another container, a huge blue tub blocking access from front to back on the side of the house and blowing down the street on days like this. 

I'd be curious as to what others calculate to be their increase (or decrease) with this new system. I don't mean to be skeptical, but in my case, it's definitely increasing, for decreasing service. (Actually, healthy skepticism is usually my first reaction when it comes to governmental control of our public dollars.) I just wish our local government could tell us straight up when they're raising our taxes (well, or "fees" if you'd like). Maybe everyone else's bills come out to no more monthly, for the same services. It seems like I do remember city hall stating that the new trash service would not cost us citizens any more, so we'll see. I hope they're right.

..just my $0.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.     

The government has been subsidizing the cost of your trash pick up for some time and that has kept the price artificially low. Also low trash generators (like me with one bag per week) have been subsidizing high volume producers. Now we are moving to pay per use. My cost is about $1.17 more per month with the middle sized cart.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:16 pm »

They did a segment on the news last night about what a FAIL the 96 gallon recycling cart is especially for the elderly.  As we have no garage, I’m more than a little concerned where the 96 gallon recycle cart and 64 gallon trash cart are going to reside.

As the proud owner of a 96 gallon cart for the last 11 years it's a non issue. They are not hard to move at all, it's been my son's job to move the thing since he was 7 or 8 and if it is too much, they will come and get it for $5.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »

You must not have been on low-gen...mine is going up a little.

Nope, we keep using 3,000 gallons of water a month, keeping us just out of low generator for the last couple of years. I'm a bit confused as to what the people presently complaining currently do with their trash cans? Or are they the ones setting out piles of bags that get rooted through by the local wildlife?

Also, you guys should be aware that big polycarts don't really blow around in the wind. They're not the cheap Rubbermaid carts with an 1/8th inch rod for a wheel axle that breaks within a year. I've had a 64 gallon polycart for about a year (best $60 I ever spent on anything to do with trash) and I don't recall it blowing anywhere in the period since. My old wheeled trash can would blow around in the slightest breeze. That was pretty annoying. Between having the heft to avoid being thrown about and the permanently attached lid that the trash guys still haven't managed to damage, it's quite alright, despite having no covered area to place it nor any way to avoid an annoyingly steep slope to get to the street.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2012, 12:42:49 pm »

Yeah, that's a lot of capacity!  On the other hand, you can get a special rate on backyard pickup if you have a physical limitation, so what's the big deal?  You pay the rate based on trash, not recycling.  Park that sucker, fill it with what you've got, and let the city come get it.  (Unless it's too tall to open from a wheelchair...)

It's a huge win for Tulsa just to have people recycling with every trash pickup... regardless of the cart size.

I'm just excited that I no longer have to pay extra to do the right thing (curbside recycling.)  Now, doing the right thing doesn't cost me, and the more I recycle, the more I save on trash.  What's not to like?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »

Yeah, that's a lot of capacity!  On the other hand, you can get a special rate on backyard pickup if you have a physical limitation, so what's the big deal?  You pay the rate based on trash, not recycling.  Park that sucker, fill it with what you've got, and let the city come get it.  (Unless it's too tall to open from a wheelchair...)

It's a huge win for Tulsa just to have people recycling with every trash pickup... regardless of the cart size.

I'm just excited that I no longer have to pay extra to do the right thing (curbside recycling.)  Now, doing the right thing doesn't cost me, and the more I recycle, the more I save on trash.  What's not to like?

That really hasn’t bothered me to pay the $2.00 and use the two recycle bins from the city I’ve got.  If you saw our house footprint, you’d understand why a 96 gallon bin presents a logistical issue for us in terms of storage.  If I keep it in the back yard, no real issue until after a large rain and I’ve got to navigate a muddy path getting it to the curb.  But with 96 gallons, if I miss one collection chances are it will eventually be dry enough to roll it down to the curb.  We’ve got an area which is too shady for bermuda to grow but a total PITA to keep watered for fescue to grow and someone is too cheap at this point to spring for river rock Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »

Is this our recycling cart?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

yes

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org