A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:24:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Tulsa's residential trash system  (Read 126386 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11:18 am »

Are there other options?  I've never really looked into home brewing closely.  I've done the cursory look and decided I didn't have time to mess with it.

So, your mash tun is bigger than the smallest trash container?

You could use something like a Grolsch bottle, but re-capping is really quite a simple affair.  They have all the supplies at Mecca and the other home brewers supply store out south.  I tried it for awhile with mixed results.  I’m interested in trying again now that life is a lot more settled for me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »

They have all the supplies at Mecca and the other home brewers supply store out south.  

The other store is High Gravity.  It's between Ross Dress for Less and Sunshine Furniture on the Southwest Corner of 71st and Memorial.  The store is owned by two homebrewers.   They have a BUNCH of stuff in stock.  They can also tell you anything you want to know about homebrewing.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/index.asp

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:11:22 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

rdj
City Father

« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »

The other store is High Gravity.  It's between Ross Dress for Less and Sunshine Furniture on the Southwest Corner of 71st and Memorial.  The store is owned by two homebrewers.   They have a BUNCH of stuff in stock.  They can also tell you anything you want to know about homebrewing.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/index.asp

I went in there once.  Being a newbie felt intimidated by the staff.  Was it my own insecurity?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »

I went in there once.  Being a newbie felt intimidated by the staff.  Was it my own insecurity?

I felt the same way.

Lets start a new thread: http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=18986.new#new
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »

Yes.  Tell them your level of expertise.  They are all friendly and want to help you brew.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »

RM: (quoted)(The second day of service has less trash and many people won't put out trash both days, even if they pay for it. The bidders said they would do it $5 more per month and the city didn't mark up the price.)
That statement does not muster. If the resident is paying for the container size of trash twice a week then a truck has to be sent to that address twice a week to check to see if the cart is placed out.  It is the depreciation on the equipment and fuel cost not the amount of trash that is in jeopardy. There is a question who will furnish a performance bond in case they are not able to perform?  Will the solution be the citizens are going to have constant increases in the price once this change has been installed?

RM: (quoted) (The new haulers have made a good living and have good credit and are buying new trucks with help from the financing that comes with a 14 year guaranteed $150 million contract). 
Where have they preformed the trash pickup in a city with a 100,000 accounts? Would like to know, and for the record, who is financing this venture ?

RM: (quoted)There are new tariffs.) 
It has been hard to find out who is going to buy the buy the 350,000 carts?

Seems to me that fellow that is promoting the trash change has been sampling some the home brew that is being bottled.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:07:16 pm by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

No more responses to shadows from me. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »

Aw gee.  We all have some duty to provide entertainment to the rest of us.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:35 pm »

Fancies liken Dreams of Grandeur cannot be responded too.  They are likening to the barker in front of the side show at the carnival as he screams “Come in and see”.   Then once inside you realize you have been taken but he has your money. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »

Fancies liken Dreams of Grandeur cannot be responded too.  They are likening to the barker in front of the side show at the carnival as he screams “Come in and see”.   Then once inside you realize you have been taken but he has your money. 

And yet the change is happening.  And there is nothing (yes, Shadows..nothing) you can do to stop it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:41 am »

RM: (quoted)(The second day of service has less trash and many people won't put out trash both days, even if they pay for it. The bidders said they would do it $5 more per month and the city didn't mark up the price.)
That statement does not muster. If the resident is paying for the container size of trash twice a week then a truck has to be sent to that address twice a week to check to see if the cart is placed out.  It is the depreciation on the equipment and fuel cost not the amount of trash that is in jeopardy. There is a question who will furnish a performance bond in case they are not able to perform?  Will the solution be the citizens are going to have constant increases in the price once this change has been installed?

RM: (quoted) (The new haulers have made a good living and have good credit and are buying new trucks with help from the financing that comes with a 14 year guaranteed $150 million contract). 
Where have they preformed the trash pickup in a city with a 100,000 accounts? Would like to know, and for the record, who is financing this venture ?

RM: (quoted)There are new tariffs.) 
It has been hard to find out who is going to buy the buy the 350,000 carts?

Seems to me that fellow that is promoting the trash change has been sampling some the home brew that is being bottled.

I hate to tell you this but a local community bank is financing their equipment.  I know several local banks had the opportunity to finance their new company.  No monkey business as far I've seen & heard.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2012, 07:51:38 am »

I hate to tell you this but a local community bank is financing their equipment.  I know several local banks had the opportunity to finance their new company.  No monkey business as far I've seen & heard.

Oh no, don't tell him that, then he'll have less reason to grumble and moan!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:56 am »

As a comparison, at least from my standpoint, my household is considered 'low generator' and our current trash rate is 10.68. We DO recycle; that currently is 2.00 for a total of 12.68.

For the extra 1.50 or so (at 14.02), we will get the 64 gallon container.  I currently have a 50 gallon container and our typical week is 3, sometimes 4 13 gallon bags a week that may or may not be bursting full.

Now quoting from the Whirled:

Time to choose: Residents will be able to choose their trash cart size - 96-, 64- or 32-gallon - from May 14 until June 8, after which the city's cart order with the manufacturer must be finalized.

A phone number and email address are being set up to take the cart size requests for that period.

To make people aware of the process, postcards will begin arriving in mailboxes May 10 providing some general information.

That will be followed with a customized letter arriving about May 13 detailing the type of service each household has, what options are available under the new system and how to go about choosing.

Finally, another post card will arrive May 22 reminding people to make their size selection or they automatically will be issued the 96-gallon cart.

To Councilman Lakin's credit, he has asked the Trash board to consider taking orders for different sizes of recycle bins.

Oh, and shadows, guess what?

If a resident wants to refuse a recycling cart, they can do that, Lee said, adding that would not change a customer's rate.

"If someone says, 'Please don't deliver this to me. I'm not going to recycle,' that's what we'll abide by," he said.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:02:20 am by Hoss » Logged

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2012, 08:26:06 am »

How will the haulers denote how many extra bags of trash (other section) they pick up at each address?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2012, 11:09:15 am »

How will the haulers denote how many extra bags of trash (other section) they pick up at each address?

Likely using a sticker based system.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org