A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:59:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Tulsa's residential trash system  (Read 126398 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »

Your math is all wrong, but I won't correct it.  You seem fine with just making up numbers and would pay attention if I told you.

I am sure that the reason you were told to remove a telescope on your porch was completely because of your broken swing. Yeah, right.

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:12 pm »

They should not be mislead in thinking 13 gal trash bags can be bought for 12 cents apiece.

That's right, they should be made aware that you can buy 30 gallon bags for half that price.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »

That's right, they should be made aware that you can buy 30 gallon bags for half that price.

Yep, I can get 50 of those 13 gallon trash bags for about $8.  In other words about 12 cents apiece...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:40 am »

Yep, I can get 50 of those 13 gallon trash bags for about $8.  In other words about 12 16 cents apiece...

$8.00/50 = $.16 each.  I know it's only 4 cents difference but it's about a 33% increase over $.12 each.  Don't forget to add sales tax which makes them closer to $.17 each.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2012, 09:45:23 am »

$8.00/50 = $.16 each.  I know it's only 4 cents difference but it's about a 33% increase over $.12 each.  Don't forget to add sales tax which makes them closer to $.17 each.

Get em off the interwebz no sales tax.

Grin

Oh, and you're right about the math.  I was doing math in my head while tired.  Not a good idea.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2012, 11:07:17 am »

Get em off the interwebz no sales tax.
 Grin

What?  You mean to say you are not paying the sales tax on out of state purchases per Oklahoma law?   Having just completed my income taxes (I always do them near the last few days), I know there is a spot on the Oklahoma Form 511 to allow you to easily pay that tax that is due.

Plus, shipping is getting really expensive.

Oh, and you're right about the math.  I was doing math in my head while tired.  Not a good idea.

Been there, done that too.  I checked it on my handy HP 42S Calculator. 

shadows
City Father

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 01:29:58 pm »

Some of the councilors are starting to question the 95 gal carts.  Some one should take a sample of the three sizes to a council meeting.  The assumption that one can exchange the 95 gal one for a smaller sizes that reduces their billing become questionable when one considers that a small container for trash and recycling would be sufficient.  When from extra guest one has an overflow they could put it in a bag and place a sticker on it.

Being called down on my math it’s enviable that as much as fifty percent of the citizens will want smaller more efficient carts as to the amount of trash they have and the storage factor.   Thus the citizens are forced to buy more carts of a smaller size and the city could have 125,000 carts on hand plus another 125,000 smaller carts to exchange.   Can’t visualize the city storing 125,000 95 gal carts unless in the glass cube using the empty spaces.  Heard a rumor that all carts will be equipped with aerosol canisters that will give the citizens each time they open the lids of the cart a whiff of the pink gas from the glass cube supply, so they will see this change like it was a bouquet of pink roses.     

RM: The telescope super structure was attached to a poured concrete slab.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Some of the councilors are starting to question the 95 gal carts.  Some one should take a sample of the three sizes to a council meeting.  The assumption that one can exchange the 95 gal one for a smaller sizes that reduces their billing become questionable when one considers that a small container for trash and recycling would be sufficient.  When from extra guest one has an overflow they could put it in a bag and place a sticker on it.

Being called down on my math it’s enviable that as much as fifty percent of the citizens will want smaller more efficient carts as to the amount of trash they have and the storage factor.   Thus the citizens are forced to buy more carts of a smaller size and the city could have 125,000 carts on hand plus another 125,000 smaller carts to exchange.   Can’t visualize the city storing 125,000 95 gal carts unless in the glass cube using the empty spaces.  Heard a rumor that all carts will be equipped with aerosol canisters that will give the citizens each time they open the lids of the cart a whiff of the pink gas from the glass cube supply, so they will see this change like it was a bouquet of pink roses.     

RM: The telescope super structure was attached to a poured concrete slab.

I'll give him this much...he's predictable.  And persistent.

Change is coming.  You may not accept that it is, but ....

...it is.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

I know that starting with one size cart then letting people pick a different size on of they prefer three moths later has been discussed. The idea of trying to have citizens pick their favorite size in advance has been discussed. There have also been discussions about giving everybody the big cart but only charging them the small cart rate has also been discussed.

Most cities only give their residents one size cart. There are no other options.

The TARE board is listening to the city councilors and are still considering their best course on how to best roll out the new system. I could argue any of the first three scenarios and it won't matter to me. I will get the big cart and just pay the extra three dollars a month. I recycle everything, but having the extra capacity the few times a year I might need it is worth it to me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »

I want the big one so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about except for those who may physically have trouble moving it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »

I want the big one so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about except for those who may physically have trouble moving it.
There is no reason you cannot have a big cart in fact you are going to get two of them.  Talking with a resident in the mid-income class in a house on a 60 foot lot having a 50 gal cart at present.  He seemed to think his problem would be that the storage of the two 95 gal’s carts would take up a third car stall in his garage.  He seems to worry most about the fact he didn’t have the third car stall in the garage.

There are many native citizens in Tulsa that cannot afford another out of pocket expense of $36 dollars a year.  To them that could represent a week food allotment.

Course it will require a new phone bank to answer “WHY” but that will create more jobs at the taxpayer’s expense.   If the present system is broken then the new system will be like “Humpty Dumpy falling off the wall.” 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
TeeDub
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:57 am »

32 gallon

68 gallon

95 gallon

I am jealous of those of you that could get by with a 32 gallon once a week.   You obviously don't still have kids (or multiples of kids) at home.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:51 am »

The recycle bin will dramatically reduce the amount that goes in the trash bin.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 07:52:29 am »

32 gallon

68 gallon

95 gallon

I am jealous of those of you that could get by with a 32 gallon once a week.   You obviously don't still have kids (or multiples of kids) at home.

My mother and I generate at the most, 3 thirteen gallon bags of trash a week (and most weeks it's just two bags).  Alot of that has to do with our recycling habits.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:17 am »

The recycle bin will dramatically reduce the amount that goes in the trash bin.

Only if people use it, obviously.  Once this gets started I'd be curious to see the numbers of people who do and those who do not.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org