A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:58:34 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clear Water Carwash on Cherry Street....  (Read 56934 times)
davideinstein
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:14 pm »

Well it sounds like if I bring my father back I won't be visiting these areas with him and my aunt since you want no parking and nothing but bike lanes, we won't  visit  since they are wheelchair bound. Guess you just want able bodied people and not the handicapped.

There has to be enough handicap spots by law, you'll be covered there for sure. As you should be.
davideinstein
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2016, 08:50:26 pm »

How many people are going to get dressed up for a fancy dinner and ride a bicycle to dinner?  A casual bar stop maybe unless it's 98º at sunset in the summer.

As TheArtist mentioned, take Uber.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2016, 09:16:08 pm »

As TheArtist mentioned, take Uber.

I don't have, or want, a smartphone.

Plus, I am not going to take a cab or Uber from 111th & Memorial.

In my case, the question is academic anyway since I don't like to get dressed up to go out to dinner.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:18:06 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

davideinstein
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »

There really isn't a strong debate at all for building larger roads and/or more parking lots. Bike lanes, Uber, Lyft, etc.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:26 pm »

Uber

I bet you would be amazed at the number of out of towers that stop at my store downtown (granted many are from Europe) and when they ask about Cherry Street and how far away it is they go "Oh not far, we will walk."    So really, even Tulsans could use the ample parking around say the Boston Avenue Church and nearby to easily walk to the heart of Cherry Street.  Are we really so lazy that that is not an option?  That is actually a fairly pleasant walk from there.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.1518858,-95.9888691/36.1406486,-95.9755673/@36.1462448,-95.986531,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2
It won't automatically come up in pedestrian mode.  Click the pedestrian symbol and it will change.

You probably won't find too many Americans willing to walk almost 1-1/2 miles, especially in bad weather.  It would be a good route for a (real) Trolley though.

Any chance they are thinking 1-1/2 Km?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:36:31 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »

There really isn't a strong debate at all for building larger roads and/or more parking lots. Bike lanes, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Parking garages to replace surface parking downtown might make sense.  Uber, cabs, etc make sense within downtown but I think they are too expensive for long distances.  One of my friends in the Navy had another friend that had a car breakdown in Richmond, VA.  He had to take a cab to Va Beach (NAS Oceana).  It was r-e-a-l-l-y expensive. 

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2016, 09:33:10 pm »

Uber

I bet you would be amazed at the number of out of towers that stop at my store downtown (granted many are from Europe) and when they ask about Cherry Street and how far away it is they go "Oh not far, we will walk."    So really, even Tulsans could use the ample parking around say the Boston Avenue Church and nearby to easily walk to the heart of Cherry Street.  Are we really so lazy that that is not an option?  That is actually a fairly pleasant walk from there.

Uber doesn't want to comply with ADA requirements and discriminates against the handicapped.
davideinstein
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:23 pm »

Uber doesn't want to comply with ADA requirements and discriminates against the handicapped.

Pointless argument because by law you have to have handicap spots. No one on this forum would debate against it. You're arguing for a very small minority and no one is disagreeing with you.
davideinstein
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2016, 09:38:49 pm »

Parking garages to replace surface parking downtown might make sense.  Uber, cabs, etc make sense within downtown but I think they are too expensive for long distances.  One of my friends in the Navy had another friend that had a car breakdown in Richmond, VA.  He had to take a cab to Va Beach (NAS Oceana).  It was r-e-a-l-l-y expensive. 

That's the equivalent of taking a cab from here to Oklahoma City.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »

That's the equivalent of taking a cab from here to Oklahoma City.
I was just thinking about how expensive a cab would be from 111th & Memorial to downtown when I remembered that.

davideinstein
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »

I was just thinking about how expensive a cab would be from 111th & Memorial to downtown when I remembered that.

My buddy took one to that area a few weeks ago from Oneok and it was 17 bucks.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »

My buddy took one to that area a few weeks ago from Oneok and it was 17 bucks.

I just looked it up on the internet and it was about $40 each way including a 15% tip.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Tulsa-OK&from=8100+e+East+111th+Street+South%2C+Tulsa%2C+OK%2C+United+States&to=409+E+1st+St%2C+Tulsa%2C+OK%2C+United+States&fromCoord=36.00281090000001,-95.88609910000002&toCoord=36.1573241,-95.9869974

davideinstein
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2016, 11:17:28 pm »

He used Uber. It's cheaper.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »

He used Uber. It's cheaper.

Even at $34 for a round trip, that's still a bit expensive to come to downtown for a couple of beers.

My immediate expense driving the Astro Van would be about 2 gallons of gas.  I don't recalculate my total ownership cost per mile for every trip I make.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:46 am »

Uber

I bet you would be amazed at the number of out of towers that stop at my store downtown (granted many are from Europe) and when they ask about Cherry Street and how far away it is they go "Oh not far, we will walk."    So really, even Tulsans could use the ample parking around say the Boston Avenue Church and nearby to easily walk to the heart of Cherry Street.  Are we really so lazy that that is not an option?  That is actually a fairly pleasant walk from there.

It's the mindset, and I have fell victim to it as well. My wife and I spent an entire summer in New York during college and walked EVERYWHERE. I still recall a "pleasant relaxing walk" home one night consisting of a 2.5 mile walk through central park and down Madison Avenue at night (although we exited the park right at sunset  Grin). After college we moved to Bartlesville to an old house close to downtown. We were sitting on our porch one evening enjoying some unusually mild Oklahoma weather and could hear music in the distance. I had remembered there was an outdoor show in front of the Price Tower that day and I suggested we walk down there. It is roughly 3/4 of a mile from our old house to the Price Tower (similar to the Methodist to Cherry Street) and at that time we considered that too far. When I think about it, it is less about the actual distance than it is the scenery in between. New York has a lot of "distractions" along any route. Bartlesville (and Tulsa) not so much. Could people make those walks. Yes. Will they.........

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org