A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:54:23 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Tulsa Bridge Update  (Read 65883 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:49 pm »

I think Tulsa should put a toll gate on the road just past the bridge. We could use the money.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2016, 12:31:18 pm »

I think Tulsa should put a toll gate on the road just past the bridge. We could use the money.

Somehow there's bound to be something that makes it illegal for a city/town in Oklahoma to raise funds that way.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »

Somehow there's bound to be something that makes it illegal for a city/town in Oklahoma to raise funds that way.

Here’s an idea:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »

They can call it The William J. Le Petomane Thruway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »

What?  Surely that isn't something our "keep government as small, efficient and as local as possible" Republicans would stand for?   Must have been a bunch of meddling Democrats who would put something like that into law.  Our Republicans will get rid of anything like that pronto.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »

They can call it The William J. Le Petomane Thruway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

Harumph!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »

You raise some good points. However, those commercial developments are 3-5 miles away from the subdivisions.
Put your suburbanite hat on for a minute. 3-5 miles is nothing in a car if the traffic isn't too much.  No one out here is really going to expect urban walkability.

If the area develops, it is likely that a commercial hub would go in anyway.
I am confident it will not be stuff like Whole Foods. I would expect a Chili's, Neighborhood Walmart, another CVS or Walgreen's.  Stuff that still misses the mark of something like Fresh Market or Whole Foods.

But to clarify, I don't think Tulsa should actively block the bridge. It certainly isn't devastating for Tulsa. Merely that I understand why Tulsa doesn't want to help pay for it. Eventually, the bridge is likely to happen - the question is, "on who's dime?"

See my previous posts about Bixby and Jenks paying for the bridge and helping with the improvements to Yale and Delaware.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2016, 12:07:48 am »

Of course the burbs could counter with toll gates to leave Tulsa on any road they had money in.

Wow! What a way to spur even more commercial development in the burbs.  No reason to go to Tulsa other than the Courts.

Actually, a coworker in about 2004-2005 when we had office space cubes in the City Plex said he would be glad to pay $1 each way in tolls for a bridge over the river at Yale.  It would save him gas money compared to either Memorial or Peoria/Elm.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org