A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 02:03:50 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walk at Tulsa Hills  (Read 133525 times)
Stone
Activist

« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:19 pm »

Giddy up!! Cheesy Grin Grin

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »

There is an article in TW today that a Main Event Entertainment is to be built at 81st and Santa Fe. 
Unable to post from my phone but according to the article, Main Event touts itself as "the fastest growing family entertainment chain in America". They offer bowling, multilevel laser tag, billiards, restaurants, arcades and a ropes obstacle course. Definitely a plus for that area and Tulsa. I thought a Dave & Busters ( larger model with billiards etc.) would have been a good fit as well.

Interesting.  People have got a viable business I suppose.  But looking at it, it all looks so bland and uninspired.  Is it that this is the best that people can get here so they go or is it that the people themselves are bland and uninspired and think this is fine? (course it is in suburbia so seems to go with the territory) I think there is a need and a market for family fun entertainment in Tulsa so I suppose this is filling the vacuum somewhat. Most likely take a local person to do something other than cookie cutter blah. Oh well, still leaves that door open for someone to do something nice and make some bucks. But egads, who would still want to go to something that looks so bland and not end up in a mental ward the day after?  It's like something out of some strange future where everything is stark, plain, stripped down to boring formulaics, and mind numbingly depressing.  Not what entertainment is supposed to be like for goodness sakes.  Guess if your used to sitting around in a car all day versus walking around in a real city, this is indeed entertaining in comparison.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »

You are only seeing with your perspective. You are single and have no children.

I have young children who have young friends who like to play laser tag, bowl, and eat pizza. I think the concept is sound. Especially in the Jenks area.

I will give them a chance.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:04 pm »

You are only seeing with your perspective. You are single and have no children.

I have young children who have young friends who like to play laser tag, bowl, and eat pizza. I think the concept is sound. Especially in the Jenks area.

I will give them a chance.

There's a place in Moore called "Double Daves" - all those things.  I sail by once in a while and stop for pizza...ALWAYS busy!  They are adding a LARGE addition to it - triple the size - now.  So it must be very sound business model...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:47 pm »

I agree with the Artist that the drawings seemed uninspiring.

It is just that we don't always pick out dinner nor entertainment based on architecture nor ambiance.

Power is nothing till you use it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

I agree with the Artist that the drawings seemed uninspiring.

It is just that we don't always pick out dinner nor entertainment based on architecture nor ambiance.

Are there renderings somewhere? What was in the paper seems to be a photo of an existing location. Hopefully they can do better.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »

Oh, I am not saying that it won't work.  It will probably do quite well.  Sadly enough.

It's kind of the competition thing.  If we had better, it wouldn't do as well.  What's sad about it is that we don't have better.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2014, 08:16:32 pm »

Looks OK
http://www.mainevent.com/play
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »

Oh, I am not saying that it won't work.  It will probably do quite well.  Sadly enough.

It's kind of the competition thing.  If we had better, it wouldn't do as well.  What's sad about it is that we don't have better.

[/quote

That one works too:  "Tulsa!  We don't have better."
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2014, 07:57:25 am »

It's not going to take business from downtown so I don't really care.  We already have a unique bowling alley downtown.  Now we just need an Alamo Drafthouse or similar concept.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:33 am »

There is some kind of kid's entertainment thing going in at about 121st and south Memorial...big building, behind a bank.

Any info on that? I'm guessing it hasn't started as I drove by there last weekend and didn't see any dirt work or other activity indicating something was going in. I keep hearing that spot is a likely location for Gander Mountain. Take that with a grain of salt, but someone in the wife's family who has connections in Bixby says it is in the works for that area. Seems a bit out of place to me, but would be interesting to see a Bass Pro competitor move in.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2014, 08:10:04 am »

Your kidding.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:42 am »

Your kidding.

On the scale of good, "OK" is somewhere above "meh"

The laser tag looks OK (if not better than our existing venue)
the arcade looks OK (if not better than our existing venues)
bowling looks on par with Andy Bs
rock climbing wall looks better than...  Tulsa doesn't have one outside of gyms
mini golf looks cheesy, but beats Tulsa's other indoor mini golf options
billiards looks a bit open and sterile, but perhaps more family friendly than Magoos
Karaoke:  more inline with what you'd find in Japan..   private room for you and your friends

I haven't visited Tulsa's Dave & Busters (heard it was lame, and much smaller than their other locations, haven't bothered checking it out), so I can't compare the photos with it.   How does it compare?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2014, 08:46:53 am »

I don't understand the criticism of this new business. Its at 81st & Elwood for gawd's sake. Not the center of architectural greatness and a common sense location for a suburban indoor playground of sorts. Lots of young nearby. Lots of income. Lots of shopping and of course the vaunted Jenks school system. What am I missing? Why wouldn't they locate there and why would anyone expect it to be any different in style and substance than the rest of suburbia?

It did seem strange they would refer to it as a West Tulsa location rather than SouthWest or Jenks but I am happy that they chose to open up in Tulsa period.

onward...through the fog
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2014, 09:08:44 am »

I don't understand the criticism of this new business.

It's not a world class bowling destination so I refuse to enjoy it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org