A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:40:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Arizona Massacre  (Read 94569 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »

It's ironic that the very things this guy railed about (restraints on freedom of speech, government intrusion into personal freedoms, gun control) are more likely to occur because of his actions.

It's already spurred an increase in police bureaucracies -- Oklahoma County is creating a "Dignitary Protection Unit" to be the latest cushy specialty squad assignment.  From what im reading, it appears to duplicate the existing OHP bodyguards used by the governor, legislature, football coaches etc.  but it's only tax money.

FWIW, I thought the sheriff's remarks about vitriol were on the money, and Im hoping it was out of conscience and not political gain.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »

I don't know what stats you are referring to but there's got to be something wrong with a person who can devise and carry out a very public or well-publicized deadly assault like this.
As best I can tell, there's nothing crazier about this fellow than many of the kooky gold-bug types. Kooky, not insane. Besides, sane people kill all the time.

My information comes from a study of every assassin and attempted assassin of federal or prominent state employees between 1949 and 1999: http://www.secretservice.gov/ntac/ntac_jfs.pdf

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »

A thoughtful and well presented start for conversation.    http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-get-this-straight.html

A great start for a conversation within the CjC. What a whiny little turd and apologist that writer is. Seriously, "we are not as popular as Palin or Limbaugh, so our violent rhetoric means less."

I guess this leftist thinks Palin is more important than Obama, who himself has a history of violent rhetoric:

http://thespeechatimeforchoosing.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/did-barack-obamas-violent-rhetoric-inspire-mass-murder-in-arizona/

http://www.therightperspective.org/2011/01/10/a-history-of-obamas-violent-rhetoric-pt-2/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:32:41 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »

George Will weighs in, as only he can. Now, I know he is not the intellectual titan as joiei's writer, but it is a good read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011003685.html

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »

A great start for a conversation within the CjC. What a whiny little turd and apologist that writer is. Seriously, "we are not as popular as Palin or Limbaugh, so our violent rhetoric means less."

I guess this leftist thinks Palin is more important than Obama, who himself has a history of violent rhetoric:

http://thespeechatimeforchoosing.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/did-barack-obamas-violent-rhetoric-inspire-mass-murder-in-arizona/

http://www.therightperspective.org/2011/01/10/a-history-of-obamas-violent-rhetoric-pt-2/

You read that crap?

Jesus, no wonder your online persona is so bent.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

A thoughtful and well presented start for conversation a powder keg.    http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-get-this-straight.html

FIFY. 

Does this writer not watch Olbermann, Matthews, or Madcow or listen to Garafalo, Franken, et. al.?

Yep, let's lay this mantle all at the feet of conservative pundits because there are none so outrageous on the left.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:29 pm »

Does this writer not watch Olbermann, Matthews, or Madcow or listen to Garafalo, Franken, et. al.?

Nobody listens to them.  They don't have an audience like their yangs do.
dbacks fan
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:56 pm »

You read that crap?

Jesus, no wonder your online persona is so bent.

No, quido and BB are missing their third partner:

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:53 pm »

Delicious
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »

Hossy takes some nice pictures.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2011, 02:33:04 pm »

Guess I've made someone sad these last few days.  And the admin's also given BB a little slap to boot.  Must be tough being you.

Cheesy

At least you call me by name.  Your frat brother won't address me at all.  Reminds me of my six-year-old nephew.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:34:47 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

As best I can tell, there's nothing crazier about this fellow than many of the kooky gold-bug types. Kooky, not insane. Besides, sane people kill all the time.

My information comes from a study of every assassin and attempted assassin of federal or prominent state employees between 1949 and 1999: http://www.secretservice.gov/ntac/ntac_jfs.pdf

Kooky describes people like perrenial mayoral candidates Virginia Jenner, Lawrence Kirkpatrick or even Paul Tay.

If you've been following the first hand accounts of this guy, Loughner was off the hinges.

You are correct in federal assassinations, it's usually to fulfill a political means or interrupt/disrupt prosecution of organized crime. 

The difference is, typical assassinations are not a rampage.  Seldom are innocent by-standers also victims of an assassination attempt.  He may have gone there with the express intent of killing Rep. Giffords.  But based on the setting, situation, and the amount of ammo he brought he was intending to take others with her and apparently was not expecting to survive the attempt based on his writings and messages left for others.  That's completely different from the actions of an assassin.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

Kooky describes people like perrenial mayoral candidates Virginia Jenner, Lawrence Kirkpatrick or even Paul Tay.

If you've been following the first hand accounts of this guy, Loughner was off the hinges.

You are correct in federal assassinations, it's usually to fulfill a political means or interrupt/disrupt prosecution of organized crime. 

The difference is, typical assassinations are not a rampage.  Seldom are innocent by-standers also victims of an assassination attempt.  He may have gone there with the express intent of killing Rep. Giffords.  But based on the setting, situation, and the amount of ammo he brought he was intending to take others with her and apparently was not expecting to survive the attempt based on his writings and messages left for others.  That's completely different from the actions of an assassin.

Except for the fact that documents found at his home indicated he used just that term (assassinate) on a document hand-written with Gifford's name on it.

A lot of it from what a friend told a reporter has to do with a question he posed to Gifford in 2008 at a town hall (I can't find the exact wording of the question, but she either didn't answer it or brushed him off because the question was quite strange).  The friend indicates that was the turning point for his behavioral change.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »

Nobody listens to them.  They don't have an audience like their yangs do.

You accept that drivel from that liberal hack, and you have the balls to question what I read?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

Given what I have read today, I think a bigger cracker will be needed.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org