A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:31:55 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Planner joins City Staff  (Read 4446 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: January 08, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »

Via TulsaBusiness.com:

"Mayor Kathy Taylor and OU-Tulsa President Gerard Clancy, M.D. have forged a strategic partnership to bring Jack Crowley, Ph.D. to Tulsa as a Special Advisor to the Mayor on Urban Planning. A former Tulsan and OU graduate, Crowley is returning to support Tulsa's redevelopment.

"Tulsa's downtown is ready for a renaissance. The last time Tulsa commissioned a comprehensive plan for the city, Richard Nixon was President of the United States," said Crowley. "So much has changed since that time. Technology, lifestyles and work patterns have evolved. It is time Tulsa planned for the next generation. It is exciting to know that our opportunities in Tulsa are unlimited, but we certainly have work to do." "

W00t! for attempts at more detailed city planning!
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:34 pm »

Jack Crowley? Hasn't he been here before?
inteller
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:15 pm »

So can neighborhoods fighting big box developments (urban or not) depend on him for support?
spoonbill
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

So can neighborhoods fighting big box developments (urban or not) depend on him for support?

Nope!  That's not what he's here for!
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »

I would love to read an in depth interview with this guy and see what his views are regarding the urban aesthetic, urban commercial development, and government's place in development.  Would be very interesting to know how his academic background informs the real life issues.  (Hint, hint, media types . . . )
spoonbill
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 05:02:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

I would love to read an in depth interview with this guy and see what his views are regarding the urban aesthetic, urban commercial development, and government's place in development.  Would be very interesting to know how his academic background informs the real life issues.  (Hint, hint, media types . . . )

I agree.  Typically academics have a very difficult time performing in real world situations.  I would like to hear how he would face several of our current problems.  

We'll see.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 05:03:33 pm »

I know this guy from his last time in Tulsa.

I like him quite a bit. He had done one of the best plans to redevelop the fairgrounds while running TMAPC in the old days. He is a board member of the Nature Conservancy and the Urban Land Institute.

Here is a link to his resume from the University of Georgia...

http://www.sed.uga.edu/people/faculty/crowley.htm

I think it is a major coup to get this guy to come back.

Power is nothing till you use it.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:35 pm »

I think it's sad....

He's a Charlie Hardt crony....

Same old thing ....

Let's see, Williams Realty .... can't recall if they were an off shoot from the Williams who dissected downtown (really dicking up the historic pattern), built that catastrophe of an indoor shopping center (I miss the bottom floor ice rink), and failed in the development business (bad timing especially in San Antonio).

JC are his initials. Perhaps our Mayor thinks he's the second coming...Unfortunately, downtown needs a miracle.
Chicken Little
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

I think it's sad....

What are you talking about, moreover, where is that even coming from?  The guy hasn't even been here a week and you have him all figured out?  That's sad alright...gimme a break.[xx(]
inteller
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:

I think it's sad....

What are you talking about, moreover, where is that even coming from?  The guy hasn't even been here a week and you have him all figured out?  That's sad alright...gimme a break.[xx(]

I think what FOTD is saying, and I agree, is that if this guy is an underling of the old school development establishment around here, then it is really doing us no good.  and a 6 month stint is really not going to give us an idea of whether he is really an independent thinker or just a mouthpiece for the development loby around here.
spoonbill
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:

I think it's sad....

I think what FOTD is saying, and I agree, is that if this guy is an underling of the old school development establishment around here, then it is really doing us no good.  and a 6 month stint is really not going to give us an idea of whether he is really an independent thinker or just a mouthpiece for the development loby around here.

As I understand he's just going to do plan review because the city has lost some of the other staff that used to handle that.
Chicken Little
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:25 pm »

quote:

That's a very big "if", in my opinion.  The guy was in Georgia up until last year.  He comes to town and you claim he's in somebody's pocket?  Charges like that should have some backup.    

Don't be so slimy.  The guy looks pretty darn impressive on paper.  Have you ever been the dean of a college...Barber and Clown included?  The last mayor we had put local political hacks with high school diplomas in important operational positions...now that's a problem.
T-TownMike
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »

I think Tulsa really needs somebody to do better at city planning. Tulsa has plenty of assets, but isn't utilizing those assets to build a better community. It's time for the area to start thinking regionally and not as an us vs them mentality. Downtown should be promoted as an entertainment district amongst sckyscrapers. Downtown should be all-purpose. The problem I see is nobody is looking at downtown as a place to bring the masses. Think of musuem of natural history. There's needs to be DESTINATIONS for all walks of life in concentrated pockets throughout downtown. Think Ripley's Believe or Not(just an example) sprinkled in with Cain's ballroom and fine eating establishments. The problem with Tulsa is it looks at downtown as a strictly for business district and that needs to change.

Pass the Mass transit deal and watch the masses help build dowwntown back to a vibrant way of life. The stadium would be a good start, but DESTINATIONS of all varities is how you build a stable downtown. Tulsa is ripe for a boom, the planners just need to encourage growth downtown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org