A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Psychosis  (Read 88265 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »

All totaled, about 60,000 killed or missing, over 155,000 wounded and many more scarred for life.

Out of those 60,000 killed or missing over 35,000 were confirmed killed from 1965 through 1968.  More than 1/2 total lives lost in the entire conflict in those FIVE years LBJ oversaw the war.  As you recall, he became POTUS on Nov. 22, 1963 and would have left office in Jan. 1969.  From 1945 through 1964 we had only lost 401 servicemen in Vietnam.

I like how Dims try to pin Vietnam on Nixon.  He basically walked into the same situation President Obama did.  How are we coming again in getting those troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan on his promised time-line?

People who think our country is divided now over war either weren't here for the 60s or have conveniently forgotten them.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »

You are forgetting they believe there is a fixed amount of wealth.
Then "taking from the rich" shouldn't be necessary to increase wealth equality.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:01 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkVH4z5Aazw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

back on topic!

Historic Moment: GOP’s Trump Becomes First Presidential Candidate to Deliberately Use the Word ‘F*ck’ in Stump Speech
The GOP's Slide into Degeneracy Continues http://www.pensitoreview.com/2011/04/29/pres-trump-to-saudis-ya-not-gonna-raise-that-fckin-price/
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »

enjoy...now stay on topic!
The Birth-er certificate

* birtherscert.jpeg (344.05 KB - downloaded 181 times.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:33:30 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2011, 01:44:11 pm »

Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower, Eisenhower.

Ok, that's better.  I will probably have to practice it some more, though!

Infamous quote;
If you remember the 60's, you weren't there...

We were still rotating new guys in until late 1974.  Ex-neighbor got sent in late 73, got shot mid 74 (leg wound - hurt, but not critical) and there were new guys coming in when he went out.  By then we were "at peace" for the last 2 years, but still shooting people.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »

enjoy...now stay on topic!
The Birth-er certificate

LOL...that's a good one!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »

I wish I had a picture of a light bulb.

JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

Why do people care so much about how the rich are making more? What do you want, to take their money and give it to you?

Actually, if the wealthy get a big tax cut, then they'd have more money to give to me.  Back in the day, I got a scholarship from a wealthy person to go to a private university over a "public option," and years later a "bursary" from presumably wealthy people in the UK so I could go to the Britten-Pears School....

...and in the 90s (despite those bad old Clinton taxes), I nearly had an offer to have my career financed by a generous opera donor who loved the La Traviata production I performed along with the soprano and tenor...... the three of us sang at his penthouse on Lake Shore Drive just down the street from the Drake Hotel, but only one of us would get the payola.... and that's why I hate tenors to this day....

How much is that doggie in the window? (woof, woof, woof)
The one with the waggly tail
How much is that opera singer in the window? (woof, woof, woof)
I do hope that singer's for sale

So, please feel free to send your generous tax-deductible donations of $1500 apiece to the Opera Jeff Foundation and be designated a Premium Silver Benefactor including free admission to my Summer Wine & Cheese Tulstravaganza at my 1928 Owen Park bungalow, offering stunning views of the BOk Center and the downtown skyline.... and an official from the NASL will also be there to hit you up for investment interest (and it don't come cheap) in USRufnex LLC so we can bring high level pro soccer back to Tulsa....

But, seriously, there was indeed a time in the 80s when I believed labor unions were too strong, taxes on the well-to-do were too high (with too many loopholes), the government had too many regulations on business, the EPA was heavy handed, and federally funded "abortion on demand" was reprehensible.  I stereotyped all liberal anti-war types (including my aunt) as shrill Jane Fonda wannabe's, and I trusted the "supply-side" Reagan Administration to handle the federal deficit over tax-and-spend "Fritz-n-tits."  I believed that Republicans were more likely to "know right from wrong" than the Dems, who seemed perpetually wishy washy in comparison when they weren't busy trying to convince us Reagan was going to start a nuclear war with the USSR... I was told by the college young Republicans to support the privatization of social security because "it'd never be there for us when we get old, anyway".......

Then, I took inventory of all the sacrifices I had to make in the name of austerity.... my Pell Grants were cut year after year, my wages to try to make up the difference while a full time college student for work at retail stores or restaurants flatlined throughout the 80s.... my student tax exemption was gone and my payroll taxes were raised substantially.... if that weren't enough, a National Direct Student Loan I qualified for one fall semester was no longer available in the spring (thank you, Gramm-Rudman), forcing me to work graveyard shifts at Village Inn to make up the difference...

But thank God that Reagan lowered taxes to a 28% rate for those most able to pay combined with the Gramm-Rudman budget cuts that fixed the federal deficit once and for all... /snark.

Somehow, I don't think a small increase percentage-wise in federal income tax is going to force wealthy taxpayers to start working graveyard shifts at a waffle house... we're talking about the difference between the income tax rates for the wealthiest under Clinton (39.6%) versus the rates under Bush II (35%) which are still much lower than the 50% top marginal rate during Reagan's first term and the 70% top rate in place the previous decade....

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/2010_budget_high-income.cfm

Oh, back on topic.   I think The Donald has finally jumped the shark.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:22:34 pm by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »

Here you are:

* Light Bulb.jpg (20.64 KB - downloaded 179 times.)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »

Actually, if the wealthy get a big tax cut,

Geez, now I have to find a picture of a violin but I don't have one to take a picture of.  Imagine one.

JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »

Geez, now I have to find a picture of a violin but I don't have one to take a picture of.  Imagine one.

Hmmm. We wouldn't want somebody who ignores the last 80 years of tax history to be accused of being a "bleeding heart liberal," now would we.... imagine that.

http://www.truthandpolitics.org/top-rates.php

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:20:17 pm by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »

Hmmm. We wouldn't want somebody who ignores the last 80 years of tax history to be accused of being a "bleeding heart liberal," now would we.... imagine that.

Why would you want to ignore the last 80 years of tax history?  I haven't.

I can see clearly that we taxed our way out of the Great Depression, right up to WWII.

Forgot to add: You obviously made it through school so the Pell grants that you lost and those that remained obviously went to someone more needy.  Welcome to the world of affirmative action etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:51:04 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2011, 02:19:44 am »

Here you are:

That's a fine light bulb, but I was looking for an idea...

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26:56 am »

That's a fine light bulb, but I was looking for an idea...

Pardon me.  I thought for a moment that you "saw the light" that taking from the rich isn't necessary.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2011, 01:45:53 pm »

Pardon me.  I thought for a moment that you "saw the light" that taking from the rich isn't necessary.

Not going to happen. That's hardwired.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org