A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:50:39 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 24348 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: December 28, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

I know its a movie. But its more like a event. If you have not seen it yet. You really need too. Spring for the 3-D price, its really worth it.
It looks great, It sounds great and the story is not as bad as some critics have said. There really is not much more they could try and knock when its near perfect.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:34:06 pm »

The story, while not novel or full of "suprising twists", was solid and very well executed none the less, so I personally had no beef with that aspect.  But I absolutely agree that the movie is worth going to see.  I really enjoyed it and may go see it again on the big screen.  I was blown away by the imagery, it amazes me how far computer generated graphics have come.  Then layering that with well done 3-D,,, well you knew you were watching the future of entertainment (for real this time lol). This aint your grandpas 3-D, nor was it full of cutsey "hey look at this bit here in 3-D" stunts.  It was more like you entered the scene versus the "something flying or pointing out at you" stuff. When someone almost fell off a cliff, you grabbed your chair feeling the vertigo. There was one scene where the main character was being chased by this large creature,,, I have never jumped and squirmed so many times in one movie lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
brianh
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »

Is this something where if you almost threw-up watching cloverfield, you should stay away from the 3d version?
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »

Is this something where if you almost threw-up watching cloverfield, you should stay away from the 3d version?
Cloverfield, quite possibly the WORST MOVIE EVER MADE! 

Avatar, on the other had is well made and entertaining!!

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:50 pm »

Not the same, although if you are prone to this issue you should make sure you focus on the main action in the scene. In 3d films there are background elements that are intentionally out of focus and if your eyes wander to those elements, there is some possibility of experiencing motion sickness because your brain is confused and trying to refocus.
rwarn17588
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:07:06 pm »

Cloverfield, quite possibly the WORST MOVIE EVER MADE! 

Worse than "Dune"?

Worse than "Exorcist II"?

Worse than "Plan 9 from Outer Space"?

If you're serious, that's serious scaling the heights/depths of badness there.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:08:56 pm »

Worse than "Dune"?

Worse than "Exorcist II"?

Worse than "Plan 9 from Outer Space"?

If you're serious, that's serious scaling the heights/depths of badness there.

I've got more...

"Napoleon Dynamite" (I honestly got up and left the theater on this one)
"Gigli" (saw this perusing the premium channels a couple of years ago; it was like a train wreck)

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:23:55 pm »

I've got more...

Try it again in the comfort of your own home.  Try to expand your mind in some way and you'll enjoy it.

It hits me like Raising Arizona.  Funnier each time.

edited to say:  "gigli" is a pile of buffalo crap topped off with runny lizard diarrhea and everyone involved should be electroshocked until sterile.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:26:15 pm by Townsend » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »

I've got more...

"Gigli" (saw this perusing the premium channels a couple of years ago; it was like a train wreck)

How could you leave "Ishtar" or "Bonfire of The Vanities" off the all-time movie sh!t list?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »

I've got more...

Not even close... took my daughter (her idea) when it was in the theatre a couple of years ago and we stayed all the way through just to prove we could.  

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 03:57:28 pm »

How could you leave "Ishtar" or "Bonfire of The Vanities" off the all-time movie sh!t list?

won't refer to 'em if I haven't seen 'em!  I was forewarned on those.   Grin

And to those who say to watch it (Napoleon Dynamite) in the comfort of my own home, I've tried.  More than once.  Had to change the channel because it felt like the intelligence was leaking out of my head each time.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »

And to those who say to watch it (Napoleon Dynamite) in the comfort of my own home, I've tried.  More than once.  Had to change the channel because it felt like the intelligence was leaking out of my head each time.

Well yeah, if you don't have some to spare as I do...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »

Well yeah, if you don't have some to spare as I do...

Oops! Probably already too late if you "think" you have some to spare.    Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 08:08:50 pm »

won't refer to 'em if I haven't seen 'em!  I was forewarned on those.   Grin

A fat spliff or multiple cold beers doesn't hurt with the comprehension factor on Napoleon Dynamite.  The humor is very droll, but I have to admit with two teenage daughters, I'm somewhat of a fan of it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »

A fat spliff or multiple cold beers doesn't hurt with the comprehension factor on Napoleon Dynamite.  The humor is very droll, but I have to admit with two teenage daughters, I'm somewhat of a fan of it.

Good friend of mine at work went on and on about it, enough so that I tried it two more times...one of those times was a night I had been hammering back the cold ones, but it didn't help any.  Oh well, they say one mans trash...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org