A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:47:00 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lorton Performing Arts Center, TU  (Read 29651 times)
dsjeffries
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »

It's been in the works for years, but at today's TU Orchestra concert, it was announced that construction will begin in the Fall on a new performing arts center.

The Lorton Performing Arts Center will be a 72,000 square foot facility that includes a 6,000 sf lobby and art gallery; several practice rooms; a 750-seat theatre; and will be the new home of the School of Music and the Film Studies program.

Steadman Upham, president of TU, described the building as, "the most ambitious building project ever undertaken at TU."  He said that it will take two years to complete, and should be ready for the Fall 2010 semester.

This image was release in October, 2006, and the designs may have changed, but I thought you'd like to see what they have in mind.

The building will be located along Gary Place, facing east toward Harvard, between Sorority Row (5th) and Fraternity Row (7th), at the east end of Harwell Field.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:54:22 pm by dsjeffries » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:00:32 pm »

A 750 seat theater? That seems overly small.
OurTulsa
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:56:18 pm »

Will they have an outdoor stage on the backside facing the green?  If not, they should.
dsjeffries
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:02:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

A 750 seat theater? That seems overly small.

750 is actually MUCH larger than anything on campus right now.  Chapman Theatre in Kendall Hall seats barely half that, and Tyrrell Hall holds maybe 100, so 750 is a HUGE improvement.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:22:23 am »

Have been hearing about this for a while. I like the rough draft rendering. It will be exciting to see a more detailed, finalized one.  Will definitely be a great addition to the campus. Very glad to see the Lortons donating something like this to TU.

Now if they could just add a loggia or covered porch like area all down the side of that building of theirs facing east on main street. The one with the plain wall covered in rocks that completely ruins the pedestrian friendly nature of the area.... hint hint. [8D] Would do a lot for the street, shade people, help keep them out of the rain for a ways, be a place for vendors, artists, etc. to set up. The sidewalk is plenty wide there and it would be relatively cheap to do but add a whooole lot.... Sorry I digress. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:36 am »

If they want a larger venue, they always have the Reynolds Center just down the street, or the Tulsa PAC is only a couple miles away.  I think the scale here accurately represents their need and I'm glad to see the Arts getting a nice facility at TU.

I couldn't find the press release anywhere and this thread is the only reference for "Lorton Performing Arts Center" on Google.  Art News at UTulsa has nothing on it:
http://www.utulsa.edu/news/room.asp?Room=Art

I need links!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dsjeffries
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:17 am »

I figured there would be a press release, too, but there isn't one yet.  I just had to take notes while Stead was talking.

I don't know if you all know this, but since everything on campus is either way too small (Kendall, Tyrrell) or too big (Reynolds), the band and orchestra have had to use the Great Hall inside the Allen Chapman Activities Center (ACAC) for their concerts.  It's the big room where all the speaking engagements (Nina Totenberg, Cokie Roberts, etc) are held... and that's all it is--a room.

Three years ago, we had to have our concert at Edison High School.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:41:15 am by dsjeffries » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dsjeffries

Three years ago, we had to have our concert at Edison High School.

I forgot all about that! We had a joint concert with the high school band...

---Robert
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:50 am »

I've been to a lot of TU Music Dept performances.  Typcially, they have been held at the University Methodist Church (aka: Fun Rooftop Hangout for Cigar-Smoking Students in late 1980's), at the new Cascia Hall auditorium or even at downtown churchs.  I LOVE Tyrell Hall, and hope they continue to use it for smaller events (used to be able to get on THAT rooftop, too, but I bet they lock the windows nowadays...).  This will definitely fill a niche at TU.  Glad to hear they're building something for the arts...not just the jocks at TU.
dsjeffries
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY
I forgot all about that! We had a joint concert with the high school band...

Haha!  Talk about a disaster!  And how sad is it that a University can't supply a place for its own groups to perform...
Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 07:44:05 pm »

The Lorton TU Performing Arts Center, or Lorton TUPAC -- Oh, Man . . . that's even better than the BOKArena . . . .

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:24:14 am by Kiah » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 03:23:16 pm »

A web page for the project has been posted:
http://www.utulsa.edu/physicalplant/projects/projects_performingarts.shtml

quote:
The Performing Arts Center, to be located on Gary Avenue on the east end of Harwell Field, will be TU's showcase facility for the musical and performance arts. When completed, the building also will provide the new home for the School of Music and the Film Studies Department.
Amenities within the 77,000-square-foot facility are to include:

* 700-seat concert theatre with balcony
    * Full stage
    * Orchestra pit
    * A 6,000 sq. ft. lobby dually designed for art exhibits and receptions
    * Faculty offices to accommodate up to two grand pianos
    * Specialized rehearsal and practice rooms that will accommodate all music groups
    * Teaching studios
    * Film scoring lab and a film post-production lab, both with student workstations

The University is scheduled to break ground for the facility in late summer/early fall 2008 and it will take approximately two years to build.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dsjeffries
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 03:39:29 pm »

Darn Steadman, telling me the wrong numbers! [^]

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 03:41:55 pm by dsjeffries » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 05:35:53 pm »

Quite nice, though not as fancy as I personally might like.  You can't go wrong with classic, understated, elegance. It looks tasteful and rich.

Getting those art students to create a stunning piece of contemporary sculpture for the green right in front of that building would add a very nice touch. It feels like it needs to be ... silver and shiney, swirling curves intersected with straight lines and lots of movement. Sitting in a shallow, rectangular, pool of water thats lit up from underneath.[Cheesy]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:43:24 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
USRufnex
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:39:27 pm »

Finally.

I have to admit that I've always had a fascination with Tyrell Hall (looks kinda medieval, IMO)... but...

Even though TU has a small music dept, their faculty (and students) deserved better than the facilities they've had to work with over the years...

[Smiley]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org