A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:02:04 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's Fat?  (Read 3893 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« on: December 01, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »

Apparently we are (though I think it comes to no surprise).  We ranked number 7 on fattest cities in the US.  OKC didn't even show up on the list.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/8-most-artery-clogging-cities-america-172200587.html

I suddenly feel like some Weird Al

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE&ob=av2e[/youtube]
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »

The 8 Most Artery-Clogging Cities in America

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/8-most-artery-clogging-cities-america-172200587.html

You've seen this? Tulsa is # 7?

Who makes these lists anyway:)>
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »

Saw that this was already posted in another thread, and, of course, I can't delete the thread.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:00 pm »

Don't blame me or my family.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:42:54 pm »

Yeah it's weird they would peg us for not being walkibile when we have 2.5 times the population density of okc.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:31 am »

Yeah it's weird they would peg us for not being walkibile when we have 2.5 times the population density of okc.

Well that includes a lot more areas that have few people living in them at all, and looking at some population density maps they have areas that have higher densities than any in Tulsa. You can't just go on a simple average like that.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:45:56 am »

I am fat. It has nothing to do with where I live. I would probably be fat in many other cities.

What a ridiculous assumption that the walkability of my home neighborhood makes me fat. The algorithm used by walkscore shows things within one mile. I doubt many people walk a mile to Sonic for a chili cheese coney. My love of coneys has way more to do with me being fat than how far away the restaurant is from my house.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:04:59 am »

Looking at my increasing girth the last few months, I need to be spending more time on my bike rather than watching the Food Network.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

My love of coneys has way more to do with me being fat than how far away the restaurant is from my house.

Even if "they" took away your wheels and you had to walk there?   

It's surprising how many calories are not burned by walking a mile compared to the stuff we like to consume. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

I don't know. I would probably just start making them at home. If the Sonic was across the street, I would probably walk, but that would mean I would also probably eat more of them.

I have plenty of opportunities to exercise in Tulsa. Having stores and restaurants nearby doen't compute to a person being heavier, it means you live in a spot where the stores and restaurants have enough customers to sell to. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:46:25 am »

I don't know. I would probably just start making them at home.

I would. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:47 am »

I would. 

Is that creaking sound I just heard your wallet?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:40:57 am »

Hip replacement from walking on uneven grassy areas on the roadside in South Tulsa and Bixby,
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:09:58 am »

Probably.  It can get quite vocal.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:14 am »

Hip replacement from walking on uneven grassy areas on the roadside in South Tulsa and Bixby,

Haven't you see the ads on TV about a body at rest stays at rest while a body in motion stays in motion?  We keep moving down here.  No need for a hip replacement.  We don't suffer from limited motion caused by only walking on improved surfaces.

That plus the impact of always walking on paved surfaces is rougher on the joints than nice forgiving grass and dirt.

Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org