A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:19:23 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who turns off the fountains?  (Read 4001 times)
TheTed
City Father

« on: May 25, 2009, 11:53:33 am »

Is this a DTU thing? I've long been peeved about the Main Mall fountain being turned off at night. Now I see the awesome new fountain at 6th and Boston is turned off at night.

This is ridiculous. How much can it cost to keep the fountains on at night? It sends the wrong message, that Tulsa rolls up the sidewalks at 10pm or whatever time it is the fountains are turned off.

FOTD
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:54:51 pm »

Looked down at the main Street fountain on Friday night and it appeared frozen over....my guess some little demon put suds in it....so, the smart thing was to turn it off.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »

The main mall fountain has been turned off just about every night for years. It's Mayberry-esque, regardless of the reason. We're trying to turn our downtown into more than just an office park. Shutting down fountains at night hampers that goal and makes us look like a bunch of small-town yokels.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:25:29 pm by TheTed » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »

Looked down at the main Street fountain on Friday night and it appeared frozen over....my guess some little demon put suds in it....so, the smart thing was to turn it off.

We used to do stuff like that out at the Falls Apartments...

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:44 am »

The fountains at Riverside (pedestrian bridge) are only on during morning and evening commute. Wonder why they should be on for the enjoyment of people driving in and out of DT but not for people who live close in?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »

They also don't want people showering or bathing in the fountains at night. Neither one is really lit either so not too ttractive at night.

On the upside, the 5th and main fountain was actually animated last time I walked b for the first time since it was built.
wordherder
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm still bummed the Main St. fountain can't have its center protrusion anymore since drunk people kept ramming into it. 
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »

I'm still bummed the Main St. fountain can't have its center protrusion anymore since drunk people kept ramming into it. 

I don't miss the salad bowl.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »

I miss the old main mall before they turned it into a boring street.  It used to have all the fountains and trees and no cars.  It was nice and it made Mayfest more enjoyable.  Also I was a kid then.  Now we just get that awful main street fountain.  I do like the new fountain sculpture at 6th and Boston though.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »

They should change the jets in the main mall to arc high and inward. Shooting straight up they are prone to causing overspray in any stiff breeze. Also if it shooting water several feet in the air and lit, owassans might drive around it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:24 pm »

Who turns it off?  Ugly liberals are a turn off to me, not sure what would constitute a turn-off to a fountain.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:15 pm »

Who turns it off?  Ugly liberals are a turn off to me, not sure what would constitute a turn-off to a fountain.

Shuts off automatically when someone from Owasso is nearby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org