A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:26:02 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Boulder Bridge  (Read 82511 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:11 am »

Won't get much of that here in Oklahoma...maybe we can get a Colorado CE to talk - they seem to use asphalt successfully.

Base for concrete - I-40 in Texas, around Amarillo, was being redone one time in the very early 80's when I had occasion to drive through there.  They had a gravel base, but then put down a layer of asphalt as cushion for the concrete.  Then poured concrete on top.  Drove through last summer and while I couldn't even begin to guess where that section was, most of the road has been redone again, but is much better than OK parts of the road.

It is not that difficult - Germany builds roads well.  At about double the cost.  The pavement is noticeably thicker - about double.  We intentionally choose to build that way.  We are willing to "settle" for much less to just get it 'good enough'.  It really is that simple.

You can go to many of the little towns around northeast Oklahoma and find a side-street (neighborhood) road system that has been in place for almost 80 years and is still functional, and will probably last another 40 to 50 years without major overhaul.  Has required VERY little maintenance compared to the way we do side streets today - essentially none comparatively.  Has built in traffic calming for 25 mph traffic - so that NONE of those ridiculous speed bump additions are needed.  And yet, we ran away from that as fast as we could when the asphalt boys came to town to sell us their bill of goods (kind of like the gypsy asphalt guys the operate out of Holdenville area today).

But that road system today would sure cut back on the asphalt boys revenue....

Not much better than we fare, at least out on the mountain passes and lower traffic highways like 160.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »

I don't have any knowledge about roads or road construction, but are there many places in the country with as wide of temperature swings as we get in Okla.?  It's not uncommon to have a difference of 100+ degress from the coldest to hottest temp in one year.  Can you cost effectively build roads to hold up under those kinds of extremes?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »

are there many places in the country with as wide of temperature swings as we get in Okla.? 

Yes.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 05:42:40 pm »

Not much better than we fare, at least out on the mountain passes and lower traffic highways like 160.

Actually, they do a lot of repaving every year....

They have similar issues.  The problem is the asphalt - not the road base.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »

I don't have any knowledge about roads or road construction, but are there many places in the country with as wide of temperature swings as we get in Okla.?  It's not uncommon to have a difference of 100+ degress from the coldest to hottest temp in one year.  Can you cost effectively build roads to hold up under those kinds of extremes?

Lots of places.  Wisconsin has been getting there for the last few years....+97 or 98 in summer, with -10 to -15 in winter.

I think Nowata beats just about everyone a couple years ago;  -32 to +93 in 5 days!  And then we get all the 110's in summer...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:16 am »

It appears they are pouring the top layer of concrete in the middle of the span this morning.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:04 am »

They were working this past Saturday. That's the first time I've seen that.

I know this has been discussed on other threads, but why don't road projects have more than 40 hours a week of work. Taxpayers are still paying for (x) man hours to get the job done. No reason to stretch it out for such a long period. Add another shift and more workers.

It seems like there are workers at the oneplace site working most every Saturday. Yet we accept less for publicly funded projects.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »

It seems like there are workers at the oneplace site working most every Saturday. Yet we accept less for publicly funded projects.

They only have to finish one day early to receive the bonus.  Why pay overtime?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »

They only have to finish one day early to receive the bonus.  Why pay overtime?

Aren't bonuses a per-day early rate?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2012, 12:22:45 pm »

Aren't bonuses a per-day early rate?

Not many years ago for Manhattan or Empire construction.  If it's changed, then I retract my post.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:19 pm »

Finishing early? The deadline was Sept. 28. Is there a new deadline in place, or are they paying a penalty?

I wouldn't think OT would be needed. Just employ more workers, possibly some working outside normal business hours. This thing's been in the works forever. It's frustrating to see those guys taking off at 4pm (or whatever time it is) while they've been working more than just normal business hours at lots of private construction sites downtown.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »

Finishing early? The deadline was Sept. 28. Is there a new deadline in place, or are they paying a penalty?

Rolling deadline?
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:34 pm »

I wouldn't think OT would be needed. Just employ more workers, possibly some working outside normal business hours. This thing's been in the works forever. It's frustrating to see those guys taking off at 4pm (or whatever time it is) while they've been working more than just normal business hours at lots of private construction sites downtown.

LOL, hard to see much OT being worked there. They've worked both sides the whole time but my gawd they seem to move slow!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2012, 07:03:20 pm »

I ran across this bridge several weeks ago...it was unattended.  I haven't had the same opportunity lately.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2012, 12:40:16 am »

I ran across this bridge several weeks ago...it was unattended.  I haven't had the same opportunity lately.
That's awesome. I've been tempted more than once but got talked out of it. It's unattended quite a bit it seems, as there seems to be zero sense of urgency to get it finished.

I'm not even sure what they've been doing the past few weeks. Anybody have an updated ETA?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org